Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm GFX camera makers, please read....  (Read 8136 times)

rastas

Fujifilm GFX camera makers, please read....
« on: November 01, 2018, 07:47:32 pm »

When the GFX50s came out I bought it. It didn't have a feature I needed - a feature described below - so I immediately returned the camera. I want to buy the gfx-100 when it comes out and I hope Fuji can improve a feature related to its wireless usage.

I'm a professional photographer and shoot hotels (architecture) across the country. When shooting, my technique is to compose the camera, lock it down on tripod, and shoot several frames of the space, with different lighting setups.

To successfully do this, I need for the camera to be controlled remotely, wirelessly, not tethered, using an ipad. I currently use a 5dsr and tilt shift lenses, and use the camranger to control the camera.

I WANT TO DO THIS WITH THE GFX100. Specifically, I want to be able to do the following, with a new and improved Fuji app and BETTER wifi system in the camera:

-Control the camera's aperture, shutter speed and shutter release remotely. (can do with the current fuji pp)

-use live view and PINCH to zoom or double tap to zoom in, check focus, move around the image in live view. (Cant do with the fuji app)

-be able to see the image shot immediately or almost immediately after taking a photo - the actual image that the camera captures (where I can see the effects of flash for example) and not a freeze image of the live view stream. Doesn't have to be a raw file, just a low res jpg. (cant do this with the fuji app)

-be able to quickly and easily scroll through recently shot images, without having to go to another place within the app, click on several very small images, download them to ipad, then preview them. Thats' slow and cumbersome. (cant do this with the current app)

Basically I want your GFX to do what I currently do with the canon/nikon + camranger solution.

If you guys can do this, you would rule the world. I realize you have an app already that does some of these things, but not all of them. It is a weak, simple and non professional app. I need something for professional usage, to go along with the GFX 100.

While your at it make a couple tilt shift lenses (ha).

Please consider implementing this kind of solution. It does NOT exist now with your GFX camera, and have been told by smart computer engineer type people that the current wifi protocol on gfx doesn't allow for some of these features described above; if that's the case I hope you can make that protocol more like canon or nikon's wifi protocol (where it pushes images on the fly).

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Fujifilm GFX camera makers, please read....
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 11:00:28 pm »

I second this...but I also highly second a nice wide shift lens too...

Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

StoryinPictures

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 01:15:01 am »

The GFX 50r has added Bluetooth support, which might make this possible with the 50r.

If Fuji implements it with the 50r, they will have a chance to work out the issues by the time the 100s comes out. 

OwenR

• http://www.owenraggett.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 02:16:17 am »

I'm guessing that they consider shift lenses as niche and perhaps something to add later on, but Fuji could well be in the same position that Canon were in 2005 to corner the entire architecture/interiors market.

No one makes a 30mm lens with movements (discounting the Schneider 32) and it was that original 24TS combined with a giant 16mp sensor that meant that the majority of people used Canon from thereon, even when Nikon produced a better camera. One 30mm shift lens, and then perhaps a 23mm later on, and they could own the market with people leaving a Canon/Sony setup on one side, and Phase/tech cam on the other. One simple lens and they're there.

There may be less architecture pros than landscape/wedding/portrait people but they spend a lot on the best possible kit and without that one lens the GFX just doesn't quite get to the point of being the undeniably best tool for the job. Packing now for a shoot, taking the GFX plus the A7R3 which is still necessary.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 07:45:27 am »

I still have a tech cam...but for workflow reasons I’ve considered the gfx with the tse24 lens...  which also means I would end up buying a bunch of their other lenses since I only have room for one mf system and also shoot product and such....I don’t want to use an actus or adapters, etc...  nothing is better than a solid native solution.  Only Hasselblad has offered the hts to kind of fill the gap...but you still can’t get the solid 30mm and 23mm perspective control views needed for interior and exterior architecture.

Not on th app...I end up using my Olympus e-m1mk2 a lot for the reason listed in the first post.  I can control via the app and light paint without extra gadgets and it all just works. 
Tony

gebseng

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 11:03:02 am »

One 30mm shift lens, and then perhaps a 23mm later on, and they could own the market with people leaving a Canon/Sony setup on one side, and Phase/tech cam on the other. One simple lens and they're there.

Yes!

Harold Clark

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 11:21:03 am »

I still have a tech cam...but for workflow reasons I’ve considered the gfx with the tse24 lens...  which also means I would end up buying a bunch of their other lenses since I only have room for one mf system and also shoot product and such....I don’t want to use an actus or adapters, etc...  nothing is better than a solid native solution.  Only Hasselblad has offered the hts to kind of fill the gap...but you still can’t get the solid 30mm and 23mm perspective control views needed for interior and exterior architecture.

Not on th app...I end up using my Olympus e-m1mk2 a lot for the reason listed in the first post.  I can control via the app and light paint without extra gadgets and it all just works.

I agree completely. As a long time Canon TSE user for architecture, Fuji ticks the quality/value/usability boxes lacking up to now with other MF systems. If they would produce 23mm & 30mm shift lenses, perhaps a 42-45mm eventually as well they would have a winner for architecture.

Another useful feature for the 100mp camera would be the ability to shoot at half and quarter resolution. Many photographers shooting products, portraits etc don't need 100MP all the time.

marc aurel

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 01:07:55 pm »

+ 1 more. Fuji - please give as native tilt shift lenses. Around 30mm first, and then around 24mm. 

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 01:49:16 pm »

I would also like tilt shift lenses. Something in the normal range would be my first need.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 01:56:01 pm »

I second this...but I also highly second a nice wide shift lens too...
a wide shift lens that will do 100MP even shifted and only be used by a few will cost ...a lot...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Dan Wells

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 02:33:00 pm »

But not as much as a Phase back...

BJL

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 02:49:07 pm »

Would it be viable and useful to offer a tilt-shift adaptor for use with existing lenses designed for larger formats, 645 and up?

marc aurel

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 03:12:28 pm »

Would it be viable and useful to offer a tilt-shift adaptor for use with existing lenses designed for larger formats, 645 and up?

There is not much choice on the wide end, because the sensor is 44x33mm the old wides are not as wide. Contax 645 35mm 3.5 is one of the best lenses in that range I think. But still not wide enough for a lot of cases. And you have to control electronic aperture AND be able to shift at the same time. And you have to correct for distorsion. We have been working with compromises for such a long time. I think it's time for a really good solution now. And I really set my hope into Fuji here.

For so many use cases in photography there are tons of great lenses to choose from. But when you need shift on the wide end it comes down to Canon or Nikon shift lenses or pancake cameras with phase one backs (with its drawbacks like the necessity of LCCs). I think it's time for something really good for that group of photographers now. Expecially in that situation where Canon and Nikon will probably focus all their lens designing capacities on their new mirrorless systems. I do not expect an update to their wide shift lenses in the next 5 years, because they need an all new set of basic primes and zooms for the majority photographers (we were lucky to get the new TS-E 50mm and 90mm before mirrorless came to canon).

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 04:55:56 pm »

But when you need shift on the wide end it comes down to Canon or Nikon shift lenses or pancake cameras with phase one backs (with its drawbacks like the necessity of LCCs).

The IQ4, for many users/uses may well eliminate the "necessity of LCC".
https://phaseoneiq4.com/dt-iq4-tech-camera-test-sneak-peak/

I'd also note that if you do an LCC with your Canon or Nikon shift lens, with movements applied, on your preferred small-format camera you may be surprised at what you see. Color cast is not limited to medium format backs; though it is certainly more pronounced on an IQ3 back than on a small-format camera.

marc aurel

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 09:40:37 pm »

The IQ4, for many users/uses may well eliminate the "necessity of LCC".
https://phaseoneiq4.com/dt-iq4-tech-camera-test-sneak-peak/

I'd also note that if you do an LCC with your Canon or Nikon shift lens, with movements applied, on your preferred small-format camera you may be surprised at what you see. Color cast is not limited to medium format backs; though it is certainly more pronounced on an IQ3 back than on a small-format camera.

Hi Doug,

I was positively surprised too about the teaser images from the IQ4150 you posted. The new BSI Sony sensors seem to be quiet a progress. But I am not yet sure if the medium to larger shifts on wide angles are free enough of color cast to get by without an LCC. We will see. You said yourself that it is not yet clear when users can safely skip an LCC. I liked it very much how open you commented on that in your camera testing.

But even if that would be the case with the IQ4: as far as I know Phase One does not (and will not) offer a 44x33mm 100MP back with the modern BSI sensor that reduces the color cast issue so much. That leaves only the ridiculously expensive 150MP back. So for all but a small minority of photographers the longing for a cheaper high quality solution remains. I can understand that you speak in favour of the Phase One solution. But this thread was about: "Fujifilm GFX camera makers, please read..."

About color cast on the GFX and the 5DsR with shift lenses: I see some on my PC-Distagon 35mm at extreme shifts, but I have no issues concerning color cast with the Canon TS-Es. And I look at my images carefully. I can handle that without an LCC for my use cases.

Regards -
Marc
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 09:47:08 pm by marc aurel »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 10:19:42 pm »

.... I need for the camera to be controlled remotely, wirelessly, not tethered, using an ipad. I currently use a 5dsr and tilt shift lenses, and use the camranger to control the camera.

I WANT TO DO THIS WITH THE GFX100.
If you guys can do this, you would rule the world ...

You mean that you want to do what the Hasselblad X1D does out of the box?
I just did a series of architecture shots that way using the canon TSE24 and the iPhone running Phocus Mobile to create the HDR by dialing up different shutter times.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 10:36:46 pm »

The x1d with adapters means electronic shutter only unless I’m mistaken.  Another drawback to a true solution. 

The hts was a good idea except you lose out a bit on the wide end.  I still think nothing beats a native solution.
Tony

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 05:13:30 am »

The 19mm PCE nikkor is a very fine lens that would do well on this Fuji- don't know if there are adapters available..?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

marc aurel

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 06:06:11 am »

The 19mm PCE nikkor is a very fine lens that would do well on this Fuji- don't know if there are adapters available..?

Steelsring is working on one: http://www.steelsring.com/en/nikon-f-gfx-smart-af-adapter/

I agree. A friend of mine and I compared the PC-E 19 on the D850 vs. TS-E 17 on 5DsR.
The PC-E 19 is better than the TS-E 17. Resolution is much better in the corners when you shift. It will be interesting to see how much shift will be possible on the GFX with the Nikon. 

Frederic_H

• www.fredericharster.com
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 09:38:56 am »

+1 for wide tilt shift lenses

Pixel-shift would be welcomed too...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up