Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Update to MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) Problems printing and getting proper colors  (Read 19237 times)

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography

Not sure if this is unique to me and my setup but this is the second time a major Mac OS upgrade has lost its mind (or connection to ICC profiles) after upgrade.  Same thing with previous upgrade to High Sierra.  I printed images from my iMAC through LR the day before the upgrade and a second set of same images the day after and colors different/incorrect.  I remembered this happened previously and previously after much hashing around coping files into the colorsync/profiles directory and still no luck I just deleted the printer; Epson P9000 in the Printers/Scanners dialog box and then reentered.  This simple process reconnected the driver to the proper location of the profiles and proper colors are restored.

Maybe no one else will have this problem but JIC I thought I would mention it.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Update to MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) Problems printing and getting proper colors
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 04:53:29 pm »

thanks for the info.

Epson released several driver Mac OS updates on September 24th.  this would indicate they were releasing a compatible driver to prepare for Mojave. This is easy to miss for those upgrading to Mojave (I would have probably missed it as well).

Oddly enough I believe the driver version didn’t increment, so this is probably a simple “build” version. 

Drivers are sort of a different beast when it comes to updating because you don’t “launch” them and they really don’t have the ability to let you know you need an update like applications do. Before installing any new system software it’s a good idea to check with Epson to see if it is supported. (advice I myself fail to follow sometimes).

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 05:58:45 pm »

For the SC-P5000 the driver upgrades from 9.x to 10.x.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 07:11:47 pm »

Why did you upgrade?
I never upgrade until a new version has been out for at least six months unless their is a very compelling feature that I need.
I only just upgraded to High Sierra when Mojave was about to be released. Maybe over cautious but I seldom have problems that way.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 07:23:19 pm »

+1
I upgrade only to the latest - mature - release of any OSX system...
i can spend my time better ...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 12:05:15 am »

An interesting note to this, Epson Software Updater no longer looks for updates for their printers and says all updates are distributed through Apples Software Update.  See screen shot, says this is valid for 10.6 and later, although I don’t ever remember seeing this before.

Of course we all know that this didn’t work in the past.  but I noticed that both my p5000 and p9000 driver versions match the current versions on Epsons website, yet I did not download and install those updates yet.  But I also don’t remember telling software update to update anything, and there are no Epson updates available or in the recently installed list in my App Store Update window. Not quite sure what is going on.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 07:53:05 am »

Wayne, my experience as of yesterday indicates that the drivers for Epson professional printers continue to be distributed through the Support>Printers>Download section of Epson's website. That is where I obtained the latest available driver (version 10.18) for my SC-P5000. It worked in the usual way. "Usual" here means that the download and install process were seamless, presets preserved and everything continues to work normally, but one is in the dark about what changed from the previous to the current driver and there was never any notification from Epson that this new driver version is available; unless there is some box I neglected to check, it seems they don't have a notification system to tell users of the professional printers when driver updates are posted. 

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 03:23:25 pm »

To: Mark, Kers, Bob and Wayne

First to Bob and Kers - You are right upgrade only when you need to --- I am a glutton for punishment - but was drawn to the dark side (dark mode) ---- Always better to wait.

To Mark and Wayne: I did not check for Epson updates and that would have been prudent.  I have now updated the driver but have not printed with it yet hope all works out well.

Garnick

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 03:41:41 pm »

An interesting note to this, Epson Software Updater no longer looks for updates for their printers and says all updates are distributed through Apples Software Update.  See screen shot, says this is valid for 10.6 and later, although I don’t ever remember seeing this before.

Of course we all know that this didn’t work in the past.  but I noticed that both my p5000 and p9000 driver versions match the current versions on Epsons website, yet I did not download and install those updates yet.  But I also don’t remember telling software update to update anything, and there are no Epson updates available or in the recently installed list in my App Store Update window. Not quite sure what is going on.

Hi Wayne,

I just checked the Epson site and there seems to be no update for the P7000 driver in either 10.13 or 10.14 (both are version 9.89).  I believe I recall reading some time ago that Apple and Epson finally stopped fighting and fixed the issues that were encountered about 6 years ago with the AppleEpsonUpdate for drivers and scanners.  However, as long as I can download drivers from the Epson site I will not go near the Apple updates for Epson Pro Graphic printers.  I have recently seen the AppleEpsonUpdate in the App Store a couple of times, but the last time I clicked the "Hide" button and now if it does show it's only for a few seconds and then it disappears.  I guess Apple finally got the message.   ::)

Gary   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:53:40 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 03:51:50 pm »

For clarity and avoidance of doubt: the Apple updater path for Epson software only applies to consumer grade printers and all-in-one office machines. The Epson website continues to provide updates for the professional printers.

Garnick

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 05:06:39 pm »

For clarity and avoidance of doubt: the Apple updater path for Epson software only applies to consumer grade printers and all-in-one office machines. The Epson website continues to provide updates for the professional printers.

Absolutely correct Mark, and it's always been for the consumer grade printers.  However, with the issue I referred to about 5 or 6 years ago folks were using the AppleEpsonUpdate for their Consumer Grade Printers and Scanners and it played absolute havoc with their Pro Graphic Printers, in many cases to the point of rendering them unusable.  I don't recall the workaround for that, but it was rather complicated and both Apple and Epson were involved if I remember correctly.  A lot of folks were caught in that trap and it was a rather nasty situation.  Luckily I read what was happening and put a large note on my desk to remind me to NEVER install the AppleEpsonUpdate.  When I started seeing it again I posted a couple of times on LuLa with a warning about that update for those using ProGraphic Printers.  Not sure that it has been fixed, but I do know that I won't personally find out one way or another.

Gary   
Gary N.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 05:43:31 pm »

I think all that was resolved long ago. When I still had an Epson all-in-one I used that Apple updater and it did not interfere with the prographics stuff.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 03:37:18 pm »

After my upgrade to Mojave, I output my Gamut Test file on my 3880, it matches output made from older OS's so no issue. There is no update to that driver I can find on Epson USA. What doesn't work is the ColorSync radio button doesn't gray out using the older (?) SPI* but if it is selected as it should be when it can be, it works correctlyI. I saw the same issue on the P800 driver which is reported as version 10.16 Now what's a bit odd is the driver I had for the P800 was the same version shown as Epson's site but states their installer was updated 9/28/18. None the less I downloaded and installed it, now on the P800, the radio button is grayed out as it should be. So that's one 'fix'.
*Apple API (SPI) called kPMApplicationColorMatching.

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 12:32:48 pm »

Not sure if this is unique to me and my setup but this is the second time a major Mac OS upgrade has lost its mind (or connection to ICC profiles) after upgrade.  Same thing with previous upgrade to High Sierra.  I printed images from my iMAC through LR the day before the upgrade and a second set of same images the day after and colors different/incorrect.  I remembered this happened previously and previously after much hashing around coping files into the colorsync/profiles directory and still no luck I just deleted the printer; Epson P9000 in the Printers/Scanners dialog box and then reentered.  This simple process reconnected the driver to the proper location of the profiles and proper colors are restored.

Maybe no one else will have this problem but JIC I thought I would mention it.

Deleting the printer (Epson R3000) and then remounting it is very worthwhile advice - and thanks for it. In my case it sadly only delivered me halfway back to ground zero. Luckily, I had access to an excellent - and rapid - profile producer here in the U.K., who in 36 hours brought me all the way home. Not much use if you're not in the U.K.; but for those similarly afflicted his name is Rob Griffith at Colour Space.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 01:43:53 pm »

After my upgrade to Mojave, I output my Gamut Test file on my 3880, it matches output made from older OS's so no issue. There is no update to that driver I can find on Epson USA. What doesn't work is the ColorSync radio button doesn't gray out using the older (?) SPI* but if it is selected as it should be when it can be, it works correctlyI. I saw the same issue on the P800 driver which is reported as version 10.16 Now what's a bit odd is the driver I had for the P800 was the same version shown as Epson's site but states their installer was updated 9/28/18. None the less I downloaded and installed it, now on the P800, the radio button is grayed out as it should be. So that's one 'fix'.
*Apple API (SPI) called kPMApplicationColorMatching.
There does appear to be a bug in the 9.33 Epson driver for 3880 when the 16-bit check box in the driver is turned ON. Just discovered this yesterday. Nothing new on Epson's site but as of this morning, Epson USA is aware of this bug and I'll report back if I learn anything. In the meantime, keep the check box turned OFF under Mojave.
Edit: Correction, turn the check box OFF. Output with ON is awful.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:51:02 pm by digitaldog »

Kees Molenaar

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 05:57:03 am »

There does appear to be a bug in the 9.33 Epson driver for 3880 when the 16-bit check box in the driver is turned ON. Just discovered this yesterday. Nothing new on Epson's site but as of this morning, Epson USA is aware of this bug and I'll report back if I learn anything. In the meantime, keep the check box turned OFF under Mojave.
Edit: Correction, turn the check box OFF. Output with ON is awful.

After upgrading the Mac connected to my epson 2880  I suddenly had awful prints.  thought I messed up my color management at first.
but then stumbled upon this thread. and tried with 16bit switch of.  This sort of solves the problem ( at least when printing from Lightroom). printing from Capture One I have not managed to succeed( I have not found a way to toggle between 8 and 16bit printing in C1). 

Kees

Garnick

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 08:35:16 am »

After upgrading the Mac connected to my epson 2880  I suddenly had awful prints.  thought I messed up my color management at first.
but then stumbled upon this thread. and tried with 16bit switch of.  This sort of solves the problem ( at least when printing from Lightroom). printing from Capture One I have not managed to succeed( I have not found a way to toggle between 8 and 16bit printing in C1). 

Kees

Hi Kees,

Which OS version did you upgrade to?  Did you also check the Epson site for the proper driver for the 2880 and your new OS?  Also, if you do find an updated driver keep in mind that uninstalling the current driver involves more that simply deleting it in Sys Prefs > "Printers & Scanner", although that should be your first step.  To do a complete driver uninstall (according to Epson) you must also delete the Epson folder in the User Library > Printers folder.  Empty the trash and then check the Library > Printers folder once again to be sure the Epson folder no longer exists.  Open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions, or in High Sierra or later just run "First Aid".  Restart the computer and install the new 2880 driver version.  Of course since you have deleted the Epson folder in Lib > Printers you will also have to reinstall any desktop printers you might have. If all you do is delete the driver in Sys Prefs there are still a number of files on your computer that can play havoc with the with new driver version you have installed.  Hope this helps.

Gary 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 08:41:07 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 08:37:18 am »

Kees
The toggle is in the print driver, not the application.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 09:28:01 am »

One wonders whether Epson and Apple have quietly decided to stop undertaking functionality checks with system upgrades for printers behind a certain (unstated) vintage. If so, one may argue about the appropriate extent of backward compatibility; if not, one may argue about the overall adequacy of attention to compatibility in the instance of major upgrades of any piece of software that needs to work interdependently with others.

howardm

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 10:13:45 am »

Why did you upgrade?
I never upgrade until a new version has been out for at least six months unless their is a very compelling feature that I need.
I only just upgraded to High Sierra when Mojave was about to be released. Maybe over cautious but I seldom have problems that way.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!
I do NOT understand why people immediately jump on a 10.x.0 release, especially when historically, they've been pretty messy for people like us who dig reasonably deep into the printing subsystem only to find 'problems'.

At very least, get yourselves a standalone small disk/SSD and put the new OS on that and boot off it and then play. 
I've been sitting on 10.10 for a good long time and just recently went to 10.12 (part of the reason is the complexity of running a Hackintosh)

YMMV
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up