Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update to MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) Problems printing and getting proper colors  (Read 19216 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Update to MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) Problems printing and getting proper colors
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2019, 09:26:13 am »

No, I'm speaking of actual differing display calibrations based on the soft proof. But yeah, it's possible a 'better' profile could have a better matching soft proof if again, the two tables are not in sync.
My SpectraView allows differing calibrations in the panel which I can switch on the fly in the software since calibration takes place within the panel. So I can have one calibration for a matt paper, one for a glossy paper where for example, the contrast ratio differs per paper. This takes a lot of the burden off the soft proof table but we still prefer those tables to be (I hate to use the term) 'accurate'.
Interesting point.  What setting do you use for matte paper?  Is it simply changing the contrast for SpectraView?

Alan

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2019, 01:20:46 pm »

I have been assuming that a reference image ought to come out of the printer with the same values as the image on the screen. But that surely can't be true - even reference images should require compensation for the paper being printed on, right?
Yes. To some degree. Paper white, contrast ratio all play a role.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2019, 01:21:39 pm »

Interesting point.  What setting do you use for matte paper?  Is it simply changing the contrast for SpectraView?

Alan
My settings are moot; depends on the paper(s). But yes, you'd change the contrast ratio and perhaps white point in SpectraView as a new custom calibration.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2019, 01:35:32 pm »

My settings are moot; depends on the paper(s). But yes, you'd change the contrast ratio and perhaps white point in SpectraView as a new custom calibration.
Thanks!  I wasn't requesting your settings but rather the approach.  I do a lot of printing on matte paper and it hadn't occurred to me to have a different setting for my monitor.  This is a useful tip.

Tom Montgomery

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2019, 03:41:43 pm »

[...] How are you profiling your display, what display profiling parameters are you using, what ambient light do you work with and view prints with?
I profile the display with an I1 Display, D65, 100 cd/m2. Work room is subdued supposedly neutral lighting, walls are beige, no sunlight or other bright lights distracting.  Viewing environment is daylight in a studio with north facing windows (the only fussy client has a similar environment).

I think my uncertainty arose just after receiving the P5000 and I had 50 prints to deliver to an exhibit that week. I panicked when I saw how the impressive DMax of the inkset affected the deep shadows (25 of the prints were B&W), and to get the job delivered I made the Print Adjustment. Once that crutch was in place, I never bothered to take the time to analyze what was going on and happily printed without always going through the soft proof adjustment step. *slaps self*

I'm sure now that the printer and Epson profiles are fine, although I believe I will get custom profiles made anyway.  Thanks for your help!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2019, 05:05:25 pm »

That all sounds good.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Daverich

An update, I decided the holiday weekend was a good opportunity to do some projects, and decided to upgrade to Mojave now that the 10.14.1 update has been released.  Everything went smoothly and haven’t had any issues ...

... other than I also had issues with color on my p9000 like the OP and had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers to get things back to normal.  Strange because I was using a custom profile, but color was definitely wrong (bluish, more contrast and overall darker). 

A little simpler now for MacOS, just delete the printers from the printer preference pane, navigate to Hard Drive/Library/Printers and toss the entire Epson folder.  Restart, download the drivers and install them.  Everything normal after that.

I know this is an old thread but I just made the jump to Mojave today. Everything went well until I made my first print and it was off quite a bit from my monitor and a print of the same image I'd made under High Sierra. I had re-calibrated my monitor after the upgrade to Mojave and the image on screen was a pretty close match to the High Sierra print and not at all like the Mojave print. I did a search here for Mojave & Color and one of the first posts that came up was this one by Wayne. Bluish, more contrast & darker? EXACTLY what i was looking at. I was already using the latest printer driver but followed his directions and my printing immediately returned to normal. You guys are great!

PeterShep

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2020, 05:08:09 am »

An update, I decided the holiday weekend was a good opportunity to do some projects, and decided to upgrade to Mojave now that the 10.14.1 update has been released.  Everything went smoothly and haven’t had any issues ...

... other than I also had issues with color on my p9000 like the OP and had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers to get things back to normal.  Strange because I was using a custom profile, but color was definitely wrong (bluish, more contrast and overall darker). 

A little simpler now for MacOS, just delete the printers from the printer preference pane, navigate to Hard Drive/Library/Printers and toss the entire Epson folder.  Restart, download the drivers and install them.  Everything normal after that.

Sorry to come back on such an old thread.  I found it very helpful but have some questions relating to Epson lates driver update for 3800 (Nov 2019).
I thought I was being smart and have only just updated to Mojave.  I have however hit the same printing problem.  Thanks to this thread I resolved it by unticking the 16 bit box.  I would however like to know if downloading and installing the latest Epson Driver 10.33 dated 15 Nov 2019 will resolve the problem and allow the 16 bit box to be ticked.  Does anyone know id there is there any advantage to using this new driver?  Is it specifically for 64 bit applications and will therefore be "better" with Catalina?  I am using an Epson 3800 which probably tells you I am only an amateur with little knowledge of the finer points!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up