Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Update to MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) Problems printing and getting proper colors  (Read 19215 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Update to MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) Problems printing and getting proper colors
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 10:22:08 am »

Add me to that. I'm at least as cautious, still on El Capitan, quite committed, as I've mentioned before somewhere on LuLa, to the notion Bob Shaw espoused, being that the main compelling reason to upgrade is when it's necessary for some feature or other one wants or needs. It could be an application, a security update, new features within an existing application that one wants, etc. Otherwise, why ask for trouble.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 10:30:35 am »

Guys, it's an Epson driver bug (at least the 16-bit one). Yes, Apple updated the OS. No, apparently Epson Japan didn't test beta's with the 3880 driver or well. The P800 runs fine. And the 'fix' until a new driver is released (?) this time is simple. As is reverting back to the older OS if it wasn't simple. But let's put the blame where it belongs. Not Apple, not users who upgrade sooner than you do (Epson may never update the driver; now what?).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 10:48:12 am »

Guys, it's an Epson driver bug (at least the 16-bit one). Yes, Apple updated the OS. No, apparently Epson Japan didn't test beta's with the 3880 driver or well. The P800 runs fine. And the 'fix' until a new driver is released (?) this time is simple. As is reverting back to the older OS if it wasn't simple. But let's put the blame where it belongs. Not Apple, not users who upgrade sooner than you do (Epson may never update the driver; now what?).

OK, that's now clarified, thanks Andrew. Responding to your "now what?", I suppose it simply means that without saying so Epson has deprecated the 3880, so anyone who wants full correct 16-bit functionality with the latest OS needs to upgrade their printer. It won't be the first time one is faced with forced technical obsolescence, and it's always very annoying when one has been perfectly satisfied with performance heretofore.

faberryman

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 10:52:53 am »

OK, that's now clarified, thanks Andrew. Responding to your "now what?", I suppose it simply means that without saying so Epson has deprecated the 3880, so anyone who wants full correct 16-bit functionality with the latest OS needs to upgrade their printer. It won't be the first time one is faced with forced technical obsolescence, and it's always very annoying when one has been perfectly satisfied with performance heretofore.
Technical obsolescence saved me. My late 2011 Mac Mini wouldn't update to Mojave so my 3880 remains usable at 16-bit. Of course, given Adobe's announcement that it will only support current OSes, I may not be able to move beyond LR8/PS20.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:33:56 am by faberryman »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 11:16:24 am »

OK, that's now clarified, thanks Andrew. Responding to your "now what?", I suppose it simply means that without saying so Epson has deprecated the 3880, so anyone who wants full correct 16-bit functionality with the latest OS needs to upgrade their printer.
No, they simply turn the option off since it makes no visible difference anyway. And no, it IS possible that Epson will update that driver and fix that bug.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 11:33:00 am »

No, they simply turn the option off since it makes no visible difference anyway. And no, it IS possible that Epson will update that driver and fix that bug.

OK, but you'd think by now they would have done it, given that they probably had a good six months' notice (my understanding of the usual period) to update their stuff before the Mojave commercial release. Anyhow, possible it will happen, so we'll see.

Garnick

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 11:43:42 am »

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!
I do NOT understand why people immediately jump on a 10.x.0 release, especially when historically, they've been pretty messy for people like us who dig reasonably deep into the printing subsystem only to find 'problems'.

At very least, get yourselves a standalone small disk/SSD and put the new OS on that and boot off it and then play. 
I've been sitting on 10.10 for a good long time and just recently went to 10.12 (part of the reason is the complexity of running a Hackintosh)

YMMV

As I've mentioned  here before, I have 3 Boot-Clones of my main OS and Applications Drive.  When I'm ready to upgrade the OS I boot on one of the Boot-Clones and do the upgrade there, totally apart from the Main OS and Applications Drive.  I can then do test runs on all of the Apps I use daily to make sure they are performing as expected.  I'll use that drive only for a few weeks and go about my daily routine.  That way I can determine whether or not all of my most important Apps are working well under the new OS version.  After that period of time, if everything looks good I will then clone that Boot-Clone back to my Main Work Drive.  Test it there again for a few weeks and then update the other Boot-Clones so that everything is up to date.  Using this procedure I have never been caught with a nasty app that does not play well with the newly upgraded OS, and then nothing to do but try to downgrade and the reinstall ALL apps, an experience I would never want to encounter.

About 4 months ago I finally decided to upgrade from 10.9.5 to Sierra, but then decided to go all the way and installed High Sierra with absolutely no issues at all.  Of course first upgraded and tested on a Boot-Clone Drive and all is well.

Gary

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:53:11 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Kees Molenaar

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 12:11:50 pm »

The toggle is in the print driver, not the application.

I know the one in the driver, but setting that one to 8 bit when printing from C1 did not solved the issue

when printing in Lightroom there is a toggle in Lightroom and in the print driver, I have to set both to 8 bit to get correct results.
Therefore I was looking for a similar option in C1

Kees

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 12:20:17 pm »

I know the one in the driver, but setting that one to 8 bit when printing from C1 did not solved the issue

when printing in Lightroom there is a toggle in Lightroom and in the print driver, I have to set both to 8 bit to get correct results.
Therefore I was looking for a similar option in C1

Kees
Then may be a C1 bug. Because the bug with the 3880 is caused by the check box in the Epson driver.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:24:11 pm by digitaldog »

howardm

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 12:26:20 pm »

OK, but you'd think by now they would have done it, given that they probably had a good six months' notice (my understanding of the usual period) to update their stuff before the Mojave commercial release. Anyhow, possible it will happen, so we'll see.

Agreed.  Epson is most interested in selling you a new P800 or something, not going back to old software for old obsolete machines and verifying/re-qualifying the driver for the new OS.  In my place of work, that'd often fall to a summer intern.

Disappointing but not surprising (to me) they have not/may not moved the 3880 driver >9.33

Although, the P800 is now 2? years old and maybe we can get 2-3 years out of High Sierra, I'd guess the P800 will be obsolete before *forced* to abandon the OS.  Of course, Adobe will start throwing in features and thus versions of PS/LR that require it.

</rambling rant>

Kees Molenaar

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 12:28:06 pm »

Then may be a C1 bug. Because the bug with the 3880 is caused by the check box in the Epson driver.
If it were a C1 bug, then I wouldn't have the problem in Lightroom I would say.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2018, 12:30:02 pm »

Agreed.  Epson is most interested in selling you a new P800 or something, not going back to old software for old obsolete machines and verifying/re-qualifying the driver for the new OS.  In my place of work, that'd often fall to a summer intern.

Disappointing but not surprising (to me) they have not/may not moved the 3880 driver >9.33

Although, the P800 is now 2? years old and maybe we can get 2-3 years out of High Sierra, I'd guess the P800 will be obsolete before *forced* to abandon the OS.  Of course, Adobe will start throwing in features and thus versions of PS/LR that require it.

</rambling rant>
Rant indeed (and a bit of FUD).
1. At least with the 3880, one can run it just fine under Mojave.
2. An update could come. Not that it matters in this case.
3. NO ONE forces you to update the OS.
4. Epson isn't alone from the issues discussed.
The next major Mac OS will not run 32-bit applications. And Apple has told developers this fact for years now. And not all the applications I run, maybe you run, will be updated. Some still run under Mojave but the developers have gone out of business.
I can't run HyperCard and all the stacks I built under any version of OS X. The horror.  :-[

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 12:30:46 pm »

If it were a C1 bug, then I wouldn't have the problem in Lightroom I would say.
All I can tell you is LR runs just fine on this end with the 3880. I cannot diagnose your problems remotely either.

Kees Molenaar

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 12:36:21 pm »

Hi Kees,

Which OS version did you upgrade to?  Did you also check the Epson site for the proper driver for the 2880 and your new OS?  Also, if you do find an updated driver keep in mind that uninstalling the current driver involves more that simply deleting it in Sys Prefs > "Printers & Scanner", although that should be your first step.  To do a complete driver uninstall (according to Epson) you must also delete the Epson folder in the User Library > Printers folder.  Empty the trash and then check the Library > Printers folder once again to be sure the Epson folder no longer exists.  Open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions, or in High Sierra or later just run "First Aid".  Restart the computer and install the new 2880 driver version.  Of course since you have deleted the Epson folder in Lib > Printers you will also have to reinstall any desktop printers you might have. If all you do is delete the driver in Sys Prefs there are still a number of files on your computer that can play havoc with the with new driver version you have installed.  Hope this helps.

Gary

I went to 1.14.1 immediately, skipped 1.14.0.   
Since ages the printerdriver for Epson 2880  is supplied via Apple update, not via epson, checked versions though. latest is 9.0 (also for ages ). which is installed.

I'll try a reinstall nevertheless to see if the problem is solved. 

Kees

Kees Molenaar

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 12:44:41 pm »

All I can tell you is LR runs just fine on this end with the 3880. I cannot diagnose your problems remotely either.

No problem I'll keep digging for a while to see if I can solve the issue.  I have a more or less working solution now, a bit cumbersome. otherwise Il keep my printing Mac on high Sierra for a while. (can switch back in a pinch)

however this situation maybe a good excuse to the wife for investing in a new and bigger format printer like the p800.  ( and then convert the to 2880 to a bw dedicated  printer with all black/grey inks). ;-)

howardm

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 12:59:14 pm »

I have a friend who built an entire company accounting system based on Hypercard ;)

Kees Molenaar

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2018, 01:13:13 pm »

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!
I do NOT understand why people immediately jump on a 10.x.0 release, especially when historically, they've been pretty messy for people like us who dig reasonably deep into the printing subsystem only to find 'problems'.

At very least, get yourselves a standalone small disk/SSD and put the new OS on that and boot off it and then play. 
I've been sitting on 10.10 for a good long time and just recently went to 10.12 (part of the reason is the complexity of running a Hackintosh)

YMMV

A lot of assumption in those "why do you upgrade" responses while knowing nothing about the poster and his motivations

Neither Op or me stated we "jump on new versions" un prepared.
nor do you know anything about background and reasons for upgrading

I have been in the systems administration and support business for  around 25  years, so I pretty well know what to expect and how to keep my systems running and safe. 

for the record I am not on *.0

Second, I have upgraded in order to test for issues  and have taken the precautions needed to go back if necessary
If everybody waits for the >3 or later release, there will be no bugs fixed, and it will be as unstable as the *.0

For me with the epson 2880 being an old beast with a probably substantially reduced installed base it might very well be nobody finds out about the issue, and if they do they might never flag it to epson/apple and stay on older OS versions.  Therefore I want to test this asap.   knowing about a potential effective end of life situation or supportability issue earlier on is better risk management than waiting it out and find out  you have an issue when you must upgrade because of End of support issues on your Operating system.

would be a pain to have to introduce any issue or problem like Posted with a preamble like this both for poster and readers

nuf said asfaik

I'll further keep this thread on topic as all this  will not help the  OP or others in any way.

Kees

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 01:15:49 pm »

I have a friend who built an entire company accounting system based on Hypercard ;)
And still running OS9 it seems.  ;)

Kees Molenaar

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2018, 01:16:24 pm »

Ouch..... I envisage some sleepless nights

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2018, 01:21:12 pm »

.......... investing in a new and bigger format printer like the p800.  ( and then convert the to 2880 to a bw dedicated  printer with all black/grey inks). ;-)

You'll get excellent B&W prints from a P800. Not worthwhile going to the trouble of dedicating an old 2880 to B&W only.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up