Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One to Support Fuji GFX  (Read 7631 times)

BJL

Re: Capture One to Support Fuji GFX
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 02:11:54 pm »

I see this good news as less surprising than others are saying. Phase One is now commited to “near 645” exclusively, it has always been happy to sell C1 for use on smaller format cameras that it does not see as direct competitors, and now that includes Fujifilm G. Not Hasselblad yet, so long as the H system is a competitor.

Of course it is largely Fujifilm (with some contribution from Hasselblad) that has pushed Phase One into its new smaller — but probably still profitable — hardware niche.

airfang

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 02:16:22 pm »

I see this good news as less surprising than others are saying. Phase One is now commited to “near 645” exclusively, it has always been happy to sell C1 for use on smaller format cameras that it does not see as direct competitors, and now that includes Fujifilm G. Not Hasselblad yet, so long as the H system is a competitor.

Of course it is largely Fujifilm (with some contribution from Hasselblad) that has pushed Phase One into its new smaller — but probably still profitable — hardware niche.

+1, that's my thoughts (on why Hassy didn't get the love) as well

airfang

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 02:16:57 pm »

Correct.

If you want to use with multiple brands then you want Capture One Pro, not any of the brand-specific flavors.

Thanks Doug, just to confirm, if I do get C1 Pro, that means I get support for all camera models (including Sony and Fuji) right?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 05:03:52 pm »

Correct.

If you want to use with multiple brands then you want Capture One Pro, not any of the brand-specific flavors.

And if you want the incomparable "Doug in the box" package, with cellphone assistance when tethering breaks in the middle of a shoot,  you need to get a Phase One back, but even recertified will do :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

landscapephoto

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 05:12:03 pm »

Fuji won.

Hasselblad just got punched in the gut. Not a good time for Hasselblad, first they loose H with Phase One and now they loose to Fuji too.

Humiliating and crushing defeat.

Or the rumours of Hasselblad's death are greatly exaggerated. Frankly, it is far too early to tell. We don't even know why Phase One lets a direct competitor use what they always described as one of their most exclusive assets.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 05:23:16 pm »

And if you want the incomparable "Doug in the box" package, with cellphone assistance when tethering breaks in the middle of a shoot,  you need to get a Phase One back, but even recertified will do :)

Edmund

Yup. Full support. Download it and see for yourself. Pro has a 30 day full use trial.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bo_Dez

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 05:50:19 pm »

Or the rumours of Hasselblad's death are greatly exaggerated. Frankly, it is far too early to tell. We don't even know why Phase One lets a direct competitor use what they always described as one of their most exclusive assets.

Just speculating - 33x44 was won by Hasselblad and Fuji with the GFX and X1D. Hasselblad was their direct and only competitor for the remainder of their core business: high end full frame 645. But Hasselblad was in a position of strength with two horses in the race: H and X1D. The best way to pull the rug from under Hasselblad's feet is give their competitor to the X1D the magic keys: Capture 1. It's a critical hit because almost all of Hasselblad's resources are in on the X1D. Fuji know and have won their market and probably now contractually obliged to remain and only develop in the 33x44 game. Hasselblad is potentially knocked out, or at least significantly delayed and Fuji is kept at a distance. Add to that the continued assault on Hasselblad by dumping H support. Hasselblad is now in a weakened position.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:59:26 pm by Bo_Dez »

eronald

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 05:54:55 pm »

Hasselblad was their direct and only competitor for their core business of high end full frame 645. But Hasselblad was in a position of strength with two horses in the race: H and X1D. The best way to pull the rug from under Hasselblad's feet is give their competitor to the X1D the magic keys: Capture 1. It's a critical hit because almost all of Hasselblad's resources are in on the X1D. Fuji know and have won their market and probably now contractually obliged to remain and only develop in the 33x44 game.

No.
At $10K the Fuji is a no-brainer crossgrade for a bunch of P1 customers who love C1.
I can see them stampeding to dump their Phase kit.
Something else is going on here;

Edmund

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Bo_Dez

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 05:58:24 pm »

No.
At $10K the Fuji is a no-brainer crossgrade for a bunch of P1 customers who love C1.
I can see them stampeding to dump their Phase kit.
Something else is going on here;

Edmund

Edmund

I'm in that boat. The Fuji GFX100 is incredible without C1. With C1 it's a done deal.

hubell

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 05:58:49 pm »

Fuji won.

Hasselblad just got punched in the gut. Not a good time for Hasselblad, first they loose H with Phase One and now they loose to Fuji too.

While I think it’s great that the owners and prospective owners of the GFX system now have the ability to use C1, I think dire predictions about this somehow leading to the demise of Hasselblad are seriously misguided. The reality is that there are two distinct alternative systems available for photographers to choose from. The GFX and the X1D. They are very different in design philosophy and they appeal and will continue to appeal to two distinct sets of users. IMO, the availability of C1 for the GFX makes the GFX a bit more appealing to a small subset of potential buyers of the GFX who were adamant in their refusal to buy into a camera system that wasn’t supported by C1. However, these potential buyers weren’t going to buy an X1D anyway. And the potential buyers of the X2D in the future probably couldn’t care less that C1 is unavailable. Most are happy with LR, and if they care about maximizing the quality of the output, they can use Phocus. It’s not C1 in terms of it being a comprehensive image editing application, but the color of the files as they come out of Phocus is simply beautiful.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2018, 06:03:54 pm »

While I think it’s great that the owners and prospective owners of the GFX system now have the ability to use C1, I think dire predictions about this somehow leading to the demise of Hasselblad are seriously misguided. The reality is that there are two distinct alternative systems available for photographers to choose from. The GFX and the X1D. They are very different in design philosophy and they appeal and will continue to appeal to two distinct sets of users. IMO, the availability of C1 for the GFX makes the GFX a bit more appealing to a small subset of potential buyers of the GFX who were adamant in their refusal to buy into a camera system that wasn’t supported by C1. However, these potential buyers weren’t going to buy an X1D anyway. And the potential buyers of the X2D in the future probably couldn’t care less that C1 is unavailable. Most are happy with LR, and if they care about maximizing the quality of the output, they can use Phocus. It’s not C1 in terms of it being a comprehensive image editing application, but the color of the files as they come out of Phocus is simply beautiful.

There's all sort of caveats and perspectives to that though. I'm one of those people you said didn't exist - I was ready to buy the X2D after Phase dumped the Hasselblad H platform.

But now that this Fuji GFX 100 a) exists b) is as incredible as it is c) is the price it is and d) has C1 support then I'm in. Hook, line, sinker. And I was very much the X1D "design ethos" kinda guy. Loved the X1D, didn't really gel with the GFX. Prior to that I was very much the H/XF kinda guy. Times change. They've got this camera right, it looks incredible, it is incredible and it's relatively dirt cheap. Tthey've smashed it out of the park.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 06:12:16 pm »

Fuji won.
LMAO. Yes great news for fuji, as they didn't really have a pro level software solution.
Hasselblad will keep doing what it is doing and even stronger. It just released 3 new XCD lenses this morning.

I don't have any stats but I would not be surprised if Hasselblad (and Fuji) sell more units in a month than Phase sells in a year.
If Capture One started supporting Hasselblad I may use it, but not for tethering or critical colour work. I think that the features for Hasselblad in their Phocus software would keep me using it for that.

From the perspective of someone who actually uses Hasselblad, as it stands now I could use C1 by just exporting out a TIF from Phocus, but choose not to. Aperture is still my database (and it supports Hasselblad X1D), but that may change. I have tried C1 and never been excited about it, but each their own.

I think for a company to change a 15 year policy that is a sign of serious concern and a shift from camera sales focus to software sales focus.
I used the word desperate in the past and got slammed so I won't say that. (:-)
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

eronald

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 06:20:59 pm »

Can one of you guys with a business explain why ANYBODY would pay $40K+ for a 150MP Phase/XF when they can get the very modern focus-across-the -frame GFX with a 100MP for $10K?

If P1 can afford to do this then they must have a pretty convincing competitor for the GFX waiting on launch.

Edmund

LMAO. Yes great news for fuji, as they didn't really have a pro level software solution.
Hasselblad will keep doing what it is doing and even stronger. It just released 3 new XCD lenses this morning.

I don't have any stats but I would not be surprised if Hasselblad (and Fuji) sell more units in a month than Phase sells in a year.
If Capture One started supporting Hasselblad I may use it, but not for tethering or critical colour work. I think that the features for Hasselblad in their Phocus software would keep me using it for that.

From the perspective of someone who actually uses Hasselblad, as it stands now I could use C1 by just exporting out a TIF from Phocus, but choose not to. Aperture is still my database (and it supports Hasselblad X1D), but that may change. I have tried C1 and never been excited about it, but each their own.

I think for a company to change a 15 year policy that is a sign of serious concern and a shift from camera sales focus to software sales focus.
I used the word desperate in the past and got slammed so I won't say that. (:-)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:32:28 pm by eronald »

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 06:37:44 pm »

Great news. I just uploaded and am currently using it on files that I just finished shooting in San Diego. I stopped using C1 after I sold my IQ however will gladly return to using it for the GFX.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 06:41:39 pm »

Can one of you guys with a business explain why ANYBODY would pay $40K+ for a 150MP Phase/XF when they can get the very modern focus-across-the -frame GFX with a 100MP for $10K?

If P1 can afford to do this then they must have a pretty convincing competitor for the GFX waiting on launch.

Edmund

I wouldn't spend $40K on a camera when the $10K camera did everything and more. Besides the EVF qualities, The GFX is offering things like IBIS and 100% PDAF that change the game entirely. These are the very things that have been holding the H/XF back. I am the traditional market for the Phase Back and I really don't think i'll be going back there.

Phase One are either bailing out of Mirrorless and partnering with Fuji, OR they are going to bring out a 54x40 mirrorless. Maybe they are somewhere in between and a bit lost. We've been speculating to the former happening for some time and that is what seems most likely to me. Mirrorless exploded just after they sunk everything into the XF - that's not to say they won't get back but it would be easy to question their resources at this point. Not that I or any of us would know though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:47:14 pm by Bo_Dez »

eronald

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 07:54:03 pm »

Phase One are either bailing out of Mirrorless and partnering with Fuji, OR they are going to bring out a 54x40 mirrorless. Maybe they are somewhere in between and a bit lost.

I think that if I were to drop $XX XXX on a Phase system I would want to be told what's going on.
Edmund

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 08:11:01 pm »

There are still objective reasons to get the 150mp back for some applications:
- large sensor with different look (but does it matter for the application below??? probably not)
- anything that doesn't move, including landscape, product, architecture, art reproduction,...
- better behavior on tech cameras

Now, unless you use movements, I seriously question whether aging tech lenses are better than the latest GFX glass...

So all in all, the only usage pattern where a IQ4 is justified is pretty much tech camera usage with movements, which is really a tiny market space.

As far as Hasselblad being dead... they have a huge opportunity to deliver a useful large sensor mirrorless platform with the H7D. They have all the elements in house to do it in the coming weeks/months.

On the other and, P1 supporting the GFX tells us they don't consider small MF to be MF anymore (talk about an amazing change of heart). And since they have just release the IQ4, we know there probably won't be a mirrorless P1 camera in the coming year.

Cheers,
Bernard

narikin

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 08:16:52 pm »

Edmund

Because the Fuji is vaporware at the moment. Spring 2019 is earliest prediction.

I'm a working photographer, and will have something like 12-15000 actuations on my IQ4 by then. 

Believe me, I'll be ordering the 100 Fuji too, and think about selling the Phase then, or maybe not. Oh, and it doesn't cost 40k. Closer to $20k to upgrade. (But still, I know it's a lot)

eronald

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 08:25:30 pm »

Because the Fuji is vaporware at the moment. Spring 2019 is earliest prediction.

I'm a working photographer, and will have something like 12-15000 actuations on my IQ4 by then. 

Believe me, I'll be ordering the 100 Fuji too, and think about selling the Phase then, or maybe not. Oh, and it doesn't cost 40k. Closer to $20k to upgrade. (But still, I know it's a lot)

So basically Phase will be selling to its dealers at cost.

Edmund

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 08:38:44 pm »

Since I’m a Phase One user with a good set of lenses, I will wait to hear how the GFX100 and lenses perform.  If the user experience is great, then I would consider the GFX100.  Until then, it’s fun reading about the possibilities.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up