Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Published - Canon Launches the EOS R Camera  (Read 12331 times)

jeremyrh

Re: Just Published - Canon Launches the EOS R Camera
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2018, 01:36:29 am »

So? Remember, they would be basing their decision on someone else's opinion. If Kevin would deliberately misstate facts, that is a different matter. The latter would be a fraud. The former is just Darwin in action. And really, what is the worst that could happen? They would end up with a camera that is 10x better anyway than they are photographers. Oh, the horror! If someone chose Canon R vs. Nikon Z just because Canon put pineapple on Kevin's pizza, the universe would implode for sure.

Well, to an extent I agree with you - someone would be a bit daft to make a major purchase based on Kevin’s opinion, but clearly Canon think that they will, at least in part. Whether those purchasers are good photographers neither you nor I can say, and maybe they are dentists so losing a few grand when their camera gets wet is not a big deal. :-)

Jeff

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2018, 02:47:35 am »

A thought.

Are all these recent announcements so timed to ensure people actually visit their stands at the upcoming Photokina  ?

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2018, 02:54:17 am »

One as a front page and the other in a rantatorial, yeah, definitely fair

Yes, fair... if you have been visiting LuLa for many years, even before Kevin was part of it, you will know they don’t do product announcements without touching the product.

Kevin already commented that he was interested in testing the Z cameras plus lenses and that he was willing to buy them... he got a sneak peak going to a local dealer to see the camera for a few minutes, not enough time to real get an impression... now, the rant was not about the camera, was about Nikon inviting all the press around the world and not LuLa... a fair complaint.

Now, Canon invited LuLa to the press event, they are allowing him to keep the camera, so yes... he has access to the camera for a long period, he can speak about it.

Man... I don’t see Phase ONE complaining that LuLa has no article about their new backs... even if Kevin worked there... I don’t see Fuji fans complaining they X-T3 has not article... Kevin already said that he ordered one... and he will speak about it when it is around.

So yes... a fair treatment

http://dgpfotografia.com

jeremyrh

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2018, 03:16:34 am »

Yes, fair... if you have been visiting LuLa for many years, even before Kevin was part of it, you will know they don’t do product announcements without touching the product.

But apparently they do feel able to list the negative aspects culled from various YouTubers without handling the product.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2018, 03:25:58 am »

you will know they don’t do product announcements without touching the product.

Well, at least the product was touched  :)

"After looking at and holding the Z6 and Z7 cameras, as well as doing some test shots in a very limited environment, I will hold my judgment."

No basta con ser la mujer del César, hay que parecerlo

Rob C

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2018, 04:16:32 am »

Well, at least the product was touched  :)

"After looking at and holding the Z6 and Z7 cameras, as well as doing some test shots in a very limited environment, I will hold my judgment."

No basta con ser la mujer del César, hay que parecerlo

I don't give a fig about the wife of César, but I sure miss mine! And she always did look and behave as my wife, too! But then, she was no photographic toy.

I have often wondered about those people who get their jollies from reading and writing about cameras, rather than from using them to some greater purpose than to illustrate their "Tests".

Holy crap, almost any camera today can be used as instrumental in the making of a great photograph: it is always the user who is in control (or otherwise) of the final outcome. I started with a Vito B, a basic, fixed-lens little Voigtlander that weighed a ton, moved on to an Exakta Varex or two, and then to Nikon F. Those Exaktas were, by today's conceptions, out of the pre-steam-age. But you know what? Once I figured how they worked, it didn't cross my mind that they were clunky: I just used 'em. I moved to Nikon because my last employer used one as well as an M3 - for different gigs - and the lenses available for the Nikon were far better than those I'd bought for my Exaktas. I'm sure that the Pentax range would have been just as good as the Nikon.

It's my opinion that those people who constantly upgrade and switch and chop and change have a real problem: they believe that camera X is going to impart unto them some magical quality so far missing in their visual makeup. Not gonna happen; save your pennies for something more realistic, not frustrating, and that probably makes you fat.

Rob

jeremyrh

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2018, 06:42:50 am »

It's my opinion that those people who constantly upgrade and switch and chop and change have a real problem: they believe that camera X is going to impart unto them some magical quality so far missing in their visual makeup. Not gonna happen; save your pennies for something more realistic, not frustrating, and that probably makes you fat.

Rob

Shame on the people spending their money in non-approved fashion !!

Rob C

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2018, 08:36:18 am »

Shame on the people spending their money in non-approved fashion !!

Yeah, it's a cardinal sin.

:-)

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2018, 09:07:15 am »

It's a great deal more subtle than "Maybe some schmoes will buy it if Kevin says nice things about it"

Canon has successfully created an entire atmosphere of positivity around a camera that is essentially the same as Nikon's widely panned offerings. Wiser heads than mine predicted that Canon would dominate this contest, and do so through marketing, rather than by building products that are in any fundamental way "better" or "different", and I think we're seeing those wiser heads proven right.

Rob C

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2018, 09:12:46 am »

It's a great deal more subtle than "Maybe some schmoes will buy it if Kevin says nice things about it"

Canon has successfully created an entire atmosphere of positivity around a camera that is essentially the same as Nikon's widely panned offerings. Wiser heads than mine predicted that Canon would dominate this contest, and do so through marketing, rather than by building products that are in any fundamental way "better" or "different", and I think we're seeing those wiser heads proven right.

Gimme a break! The things were only announced a few days ago! What do you base your projection upon? Reading the bullshit from Internet gurus and fellow-travellers?

Let a year roll past, and then come to a learned conclusion.

Rob

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2018, 09:15:42 am »

I'm talking specifically about what flavor the Internet bullshit is, Rob.

Canon and Nikon both wanted positive flavored Internet bullshit, but Canon outbid.

Sure, in a year everything will look different, and indeed even now we're reminded that the flavor of the internet bullshit it not an accurate reflection of the market, although it has an effect.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2018, 09:19:17 am »

...Let a year roll past, and then come to a learned conclusion.

“Too early to tell.”

- Chinese President, when asked about the impact of the 1789 French Revolution

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2018, 09:29:49 am »

... Canon has successfully created an entire atmosphere of positivity around a camera that is essentially the same as Nikon's widely panned offerings...

Widely panned!? Bernard is already spending several nights in a tent in front of a Nikon store, lining up for a preorder.

I, on the other hand, have no intention to replace, or even supplement, my Canon 5Ds.

So, whose marketing is more successful?

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2018, 09:35:48 am »

Widely panned!? Bernard is already spending several nights in a tent in front of a Nikon store, lining up for a preorder.

I, on the other hand, have no intention to replace, or even supplement, my Canon 5Ds.

The question though is what you had done if the inside of your wallet looked the same as Bernard's... ;-)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2018, 09:38:25 am »

The question though is what you had done if the inside of your wallet looked the same as Bernard's... ;-)

Touché! 😊

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2018, 09:55:58 am »

As Rob said... probably we will see in the following months... year... what marketing strategy was more successful...

I think the idea of Canon to allow reviewers like Kevin to have te camera for some weeks at home will give them more article opportunities... would that work at the end? No idea...

jeremyrh

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2018, 11:08:01 am »

I can only dream!!

jeremyrh

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2018, 11:11:23 am »

Bernard also expressed an interest in buying a Canon in addition to the Nikon we all knew he'd buy, so the Hawaiian KoolAid is powerful stuff!!

Rob C

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2018, 11:38:22 am »

Bernard also expressed an interest in buying a Canon in addition to the Nikon we all knew he'd buy, so the Hawaiian KoolAid is powerful stuff!!

Who could reasonably argue? It blows the top off the mountains even after making them in the first place.

Rob

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2018, 01:13:35 pm »

Well, I can. I know him. And anyone who has been frequented this site and still has two grains of salt left in his brain, even if not personally knowing him, would have come to the same conclusion. I can understand if a newbie, someone who's never visited the site before, would ask the question, but old members...?
So we should not expect any disclosure if a trip is paid for by a camera company?  I've been on the battle lines on this issue regarding journal articles from clinical trials sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and to not expect disclosure just won't fly these days.  Why should transparency be any different here?  I certainly would expect a review or discussion to cover the important issue of who paid for the trip (done in this case) and how the equipment was obtained (whether it was purchased or supplied by the manufacturer).  I want to know this so that I can judge whether 'I' perceive any bias in the review/discussion.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up