Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: And Then. . .  (Read 12563 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Re: And Then. . .
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2018, 11:42:20 am »

Do you really want to dig yourself in any deeper, Ivo?

I think you had enough attention, Russ.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2018, 11:49:33 am »

I think you had enough attention, Russ.

;D ;D ;D 8) :o Due largely to your inability to grasp the material I've been presenting, Ivo. But I used to run into that problem sometimes when I was teaching computer science. There's really no way around it. All you can do is keep working on it, Ivo.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ivophoto

And Then. . .
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2018, 12:29:15 pm »

Due largely to your inability to grasp the material I've been presenting, Ivo. But I used to run into that problem sometimes when I was teaching computer science. There's really no way around it. All you can do is keep working on it, Ivo.

All the material you are presenting.

You mean the iteration of that one picture and that single article?

Enough navel gazing for you today, Russ. Talk to you later.

Haha, you are priceless.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2018, 12:37:35 pm »

Ivophoto

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2018, 01:12:32 pm »

RSL

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2018, 02:07:27 pm »

Russ, please stop! Ivo is about to hang himself  ;D

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=126367.msg1066421#msg1066421

No Slobodan. He's not "about to." He did that several posts back. But he just can't keep from jerking himself up higher and higher.

Ivophoto

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2018, 02:47:12 pm »

No Slobodan. He's not "about to." He did that several posts back. But he just can't keep from jerking himself up higher and higher.

It would be good if your vivid imagination reflected in your photos.

Jerking, he said. Hahaha

RSL

« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2018, 03:41:26 pm »

Jerking, he said. Hahaha

Exactly, Ivo. Glad you got my drift.

elliot_n

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2018, 08:20:25 am »

Some of it's good. Some not so good. It's obvious he learned a lot from Helen Levitt, which is good. On balance I wouldn't knock it. What I would do is quote what I wrote in https://luminous-landscape.com/on-street-photography/: "Fact is that even when you get good at street photography, you’ll shoot bags and bags of bloopers, a smaller number of not too bad shots, and the rare picture you should be willing to show. Beyond that, there’s the kind of picture upon which you’d be willing to hang your reputation. If you can average one of those a year you’re getting pretty good." Were I Gibson I'd have culled a lot of the stuff he posted, but, what the hey, we're all guilty of over-posting. And, yes, I wouldn't hesitate to call it street.

I'm glad you acknowledge his work as street photography, as I thought it might lie outside your definitions of the genre.

I think it's a strong portfolio. It's a style that a lot of younger street photographers are trying to achieve.

Some of the images take a while to sink in. There are a couple of images that seem out of place (e.g. the second image, of the doll - there doesn't seem to be much going on there).

Rob C

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2018, 11:33:13 am »

The doll.

Nothing much needs to go on: the ambiguity is sufficient. In fact ambiguity is far more potent than any obvious event, I think; it makes you bring your own mind to the party rather than just accept another's gift.

I do see the odd Saul Leiter rip-off, but who doesn't try? I sure do!

Why? Well, it comes down to the old one from Terence Donovan about the most difficult thing for the amateur being finding a reason to make a photograph. The pro always has a reason: his client provides it. So, sans clients post-retirement, the closest I can come to it is in giving myself a specific exercise just to see if I can do it. This works - briefly - but fades when there is no real judgement day.

Examples of mine have been Leiter (and I hope to return to that at some stage), the titles for Braquo, the Miss Coke thing. But inevitably, playing pretend games bores.

And then people think buying a new camera will resolve all those deeper factors.

Rob

RSL

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2018, 12:11:42 pm »

Thanks, Rob. I finally got enough time this morning to spend some of it with Gibson’s work. I like it better the more I look at it. He understands what street photography is all about. There’s plenty of ambiguity in a lot of those pictures, and ambiguity is part of what makes both good street photography and good poetry work.

I certainly agree about Leiter, though my all-time favorites are HCB, of course, and beyond him, Walker Evans, Winogrand, and above all, Robert Frank. I think I’d like to have known Elliott Erwitt, because his sense of humor strikes a particular bell with me.

Of course people think success is in the camera. They’re told that at every turn. There doesn’t seem to be even one photo magazine any longer that deals with photographs -- with the kind of criticism I remember Pop Photo giving The Americans. The criticism was wrong, but it was a discussion of what matters: the photographs. Then there’s this morning’s ad from Panasonic about a camera “built for camera enthusiasts.” Yeah. They actually admitted the thing is for people interested in gadgetry.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:34:01 pm by RSL »

Ivophoto

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2018, 12:37:55 pm »

If this is your idea of good and humorous and "intellectual" street photography, Ivo, be my guest. Go with it. You've made the depth of your understanding of the genre clear.

Wel, a few post ago you found my appreciation of this work a prove that I didn’t understand a thing.

Strange.

Rob C

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2018, 12:53:45 pm »

Thanks, Rob. I finally got enough time this morning to spend some of it with Gibson’s work. I like it better the more I look at it. He understands what street photography is all about. There’s plenty of ambiguity in a lot of those pictures, and ambiguity is part of what makes both good street photography and good poetry work.

I certainly agree about Leiter, though my all-time favorites are HCB, of course, and beyond him, Walker Evans, Winogrand, and above all, Robert Frank. I think I’d like to have known Elliott Erwitt, because his sense of humor strikes a particular bell with me.

Of course people think success is in the camera. They’re told that at every turn. There doesn’t seem to be even one photo magazine any longer that deals with photographs -- with the kind of criticism I remember Pop Photo giving The Americans. The criticism was wrong, but it was a discussion of what matters: the photographs. Then there’s this morning’s ad from Panasonic about a camera “built for camera enthusiasts.” Yeah. They actually admitted the thing is for people interested in gadgetry.

I didn't get to see many Pop Phot monthly mags, but over several years I did manage to collect a nice set of the Pop Phot Annuals and Color Annuals. It's where I met Leiter, W. Eugene Smith and many more. In Britain, there used to be Photography, edited by Norman Hall, where I picked up on lots of the European photographers. It was also were I had my very first picture published. Made my year!

Those magazines and Annuals were an education in photographic culture, and nothing to do with processing or that kind of thing which was well-covered in Britain (during the 50s) by Amateur Photographer. Needless to say, Photography vanished as, I think, the PP Annuals and, recently, the magazine too. Whether it's symptomatic of the decline in interest in photography per se and a swing to GAS I'm not sure, but it leaves quite a void. No, the Internet doesn't do all that great a job filling the space because there is no good editor, unfortunately.

Rob

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2018, 01:06:12 pm »

I understand the doll picture quite well, and it's apparently misplacement is in line with the doll in the scene.

I understand this way of visual communication and I like it, see one of my images:

RSL

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2018, 02:36:38 pm »

And this is the equivalent of the doll picture, Ivo?

Ivophoto

« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2018, 03:09:51 pm »

And this is the equivalent of the doll picture, Ivo?

This one is better Russ. You can not judge it, you don’t feel and see it.

RSL

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2018, 03:34:41 pm »

Uh huh.

elliot_n

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2018, 03:40:11 pm »

The doll is a tired trope in street photography (as is its cousin, the mannequin). I don't think Gibson is doing much with it here. Ambiguity? I don't see it. He does much better with the mannequin's legs in the 6th picture. That one is properly ambiguous (on a visual level) - as are many of his best pictures.

Ivo, I think your picture is equivalent to the doll picture. Something somewhat out of place.

elliot_n

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2018, 03:52:30 pm »

I do see the odd Saul Leiter rip-off...

Image 13 is a nice riff on HCB's Gare St. Lazare

Rob C

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2018, 03:55:37 pm »

The doll is a (1) tired trope in street photography (2) (as is its cousin, the mannequin). I don't think Gibson is doing much with it here. (3) Ambiguity? I don't see it. He does much better with the mannequin's legs in the 6th picture. That one is properly ambiguous (on a visual level) - as are many of his best pictures.

Ivo, I think your picture is equivalent to the doll picture. Something somewhat out of place.

1.  Well there you are: street accepted as genre!

2.  Heartbroken! I thought my snaps of plastic window girls were all my own work.

3.  Ambiguity is like jazz: if you gotta ask what it is you won't understand it.

Ivo's pot is not ambiguous, just out in the corridor whilst the owner is cleaning the passage. The doll in the colour photo is ambiguous because you are left wondering why it's there, and as that question can have many answers you are left puzzling over which might be correct.

Anyone not left puzzling about the doll is lacking in visual curiosity; the purchase of a new camera or lens will fix that immediately.

;-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up