Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: And Then. . .  (Read 12544 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Re: And Then. . .
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2018, 03:52:40 pm »

Can you explain what you think that means, Ivo?

That he didn't play it virtuoso from the first attempt but did some practice. (Training)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:58:15 pm by Ivo_B »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2018, 03:59:28 pm »

Ivo, I taught C at Colorado Technical College, and I taught C++ to the Cirrus Logic R&D division in Colorado. I might add that when I was teaching these things I learned that you either had it or you didn't. When I taught C, within a couple weeks I knew who in the class was going to make it and who wasn't. There were people there who'd decided to study computer science because they'd been told they could make a lot of money in the field. But they were like tone deaf people trying to learn to be concert pianists.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RSL

« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2018, 04:04:14 pm »

That he didn't play it virtuoso from the first attempt but did some practice. (Training)

If you go back and actually read what I wrote in that post you'll notice that I covered that.

Have you ever heard Levant play? He can break your heart.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2018, 04:09:33 pm »

Ivo, I taught C at Colorado Technical College, and I taught C++ to the Cirrus Logic R&D division in Colorado. I might add that when I was teaching these things I learned that you either had it or you didn't. When I taught C, within a couple weeks I knew who in the class was going to make it and who wasn't. There were people there who'd decided to study computer science because they'd been told they could make a lot of money in the field. But they were like tone deaf people trying to learn to be concert pianists.

You taught  programming, I made car industrie running on it. So I think I have some background here as well. ;-)

In bold is another story than what you said initially. What is the purpose to teach programming language if it doesn't need training. (Your initial  argument) You say now exactly the same as I do and what you started counter-speaking (not sure why) => It takes talent (that what you recognize after two weeks) and training or education.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 04:23:28 pm by Ivo_B »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2018, 04:11:42 pm »

If you go back and actually read what I wrote in that post you'll notice that I covered that.

Have you ever heard Levant play? He can break your heart.

Same as Chet Baker can do this on his trumpet or Emma Kirby can do it vocally, Russ, we don't need to argue on everything.

Rob C

« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2018, 05:33:18 pm »

Nice try, Rob. HCB got a training in painting.

That's not photography: that's a neon red herring.

No score.

RSL

« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2018, 05:54:18 pm »

You taught  programming, I made car industrie running on it. So I think I have some background here as well. ;-)

In bold is another story than what you said initially. What is the purpose to teach programming language if it doesn't need training. (Your initial  argument) You say now exactly the same as I do and what you started counter-speaking (not sure why) => It takes talent (that what you recognize after two weeks) and training or education.

Ivo. Knock it off. I did software engineering for thirty years. You're not paying attention. I've never suggested you don't need to learn how to use your tools. It's how you use them that matters. But that's after you've learned how they work.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2018, 02:51:34 am »

I'll give you an example, Mike. I used to have a friend -- she actually was a friend of my wife. She was an "accomplished" pianist. She had achiever a great deal of competence through training and application, and she gave the piano a fair run for its money. But she played a lot like a player piano.

Which I thought was what I was saying :)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up