Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson v750 scans not the greatest, looking for suggestions  (Read 10271 times)

howardm

Re: Epson v750 scans not the greatest, looking for suggestions
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2019, 10:47:35 am »

I'll add that for certain papers, their apparent sharpness w/ 'normal/standard' LR sharpening really can make it crunchy.  The old Harman Gloss was very notable for that.  Always had to dial-down creative and definitely output sharpening.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2019, 10:53:31 am »

OK Thanks

Garnick

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2019, 12:43:22 pm »

Oh, so by "rebate" you mean the unexposed header or toe of the film strip or the separation strips between the frames. Never heard the term "rebate" applied to unexposed film before. Yes, it's helpful but it doesn't do the whole job, and for each different film (manufacturer/film type/ISO) you would need a different recipe. See my previous articles on this.

Hi Mark,

Somewhat OT but the term "rebate" in reference to film goes at least as far back as the late 1960's when I first started working in a Custom Colour Lab in TO.  At that point I had also never come across the term "rebate" in that respect, but when explained it certainly made sense, and I have used the term ever since.  The simple definition as it applies here is the "rebate" is the unexposed area of either a negative or positive film.  For many years while still printing colour "C" Prints in a darkroom environment I used a colour analyzer to create a colour balance when printing colour neg films.  If possible I always tried to find a white  area(not specular) in the neg to analyze, therefore reducing the possibility of inaccurate readings.  However, within the colour analyzer I had also included settings for analyzing the "rebate" of particular film brands in the case of no noticeable white area to analyze.   Another approach was the use of a diffusing filter under the enlarging lens to mix all colours for analyzing purposes, again using the "White Balance" settings in the analyzer.  In many cases the exposure/print density reading was also done on the white area in the negative.  Of course all of these analyzer settings had to be installed using a negative that had been shot and processed under very strict parameters, and redone occasionally to compensate for drift. 

Just a bit of totally useless info from the past  ???

Gary                   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2019, 12:50:49 pm »

Good for nostalgia. The kind of rebate I like is when Epson has a paper sales and REBATES me the cost of every third package in an order!  -:)
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2019, 01:16:56 pm »

I'll add that for certain papers, their apparent sharpness w/ 'normal/standard' LR sharpening really can make it crunchy.  The old Harman Gloss was very notable for that.  Always had to dial-down creative and definitely output sharpening.

Howard, are you talking of Epson v750 scans, or digital images in general from digital cameras?

Garnick

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2019, 03:22:09 pm »

Good for nostalgia. The kind of rebate I like is when Epson has a paper sales and REBATES me the cost of every third package in an order!  -:)

Couldn't agree more Mark!ยก!  When I still had a dealership with Daymen Photo in Markham, Jim, the fellow on the desk, would occasionally call to inform me of a "rebate" offer on Epson papers and other goodies.  Those were the days when I had a rather substantial discount on everything I ordered from them, especially Epson products.  It was a dark day for various reasons when Daymen pulled the plug, at least here in Canada, not sure about the US.  Since then I've been buying from the Big "V" in TO, and since I have reduced my printing prices etc., it's becoming more of an issue to just keep up. My business is now unincorparated, which will at least help with accounting fees, but I imagine it will gradually dwindle to very little within the next few years.  Probably time to start pulling the plug myself as well perhaps, although I've been doing this for so long it would be difficult to simply let it go. 

Gary   

Gary N.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2019, 06:47:58 pm »

I think it's good for the soul to keep up, even if on a reduced scale. There's more than money to it, as you well know.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2019, 06:49:21 pm »

BTW, I should add that you may wish to look into CCBC's pricing for paper and other accessories. He tends to be cheaper than the "Big V", and he's good to do business with.

Garnick

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2019, 07:55:14 pm »

I think it's good for the soul to keep up, even if on a reduced scale. There's more than money to it, as you well know.

+1

You're absolutely correct Mark, there is most definitely more than the money, otherwise I would have packed it in a couple of years ago when I was facing a move of my business to my home.  The folks I do work for are great people and I always receive very rewarding feedback.  Whether it's someone who's been working in photography for many years and has a lot of experience, or a new shooter who requires some help and perhaps advice, the positive side of my "business" definitely outweighs the occasional negative aspects.  And BTW, I did originally do some comparisons between "V" and CCB and found them to be almost identical, but of course that may have changed since then.  I shall do some more research again and hope for a surprise.  I may be mistaken, but I believe CCB operates on a sort of discount basis built around one's volume purchasing history.  I'll look into that again as well. 

Thanks for the reminder Mark.

Gary   
Gary N.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up