Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you like him now? Trump vs the little kid.  (Read 14304 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
Re: How do you like him now? Trump vs the little kid.
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2018, 08:04:36 pm »

That's metaphor.  Maybe hyperbole.
This staffer quoted means this as maybe hyperbole:
“No,” the official said. “There’s definitely a Trump Doctrine.”
What is it? I asked. Here is the answer I received: “The Trump Doctrine is, ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrin“

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2018, 08:15:13 pm »

This staffer quoted means this as maybe hyperbole:
“No,” the official said. “There’s definitely a Trump Doctrine.”
What is it? I asked. Here is the answer I received: “The Trump Doctrine is, ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrin“
Well, it's crass.  But America has always used it's wealth and military muscle to push its way around the world.  That's how big powers act.  Trump just wants to do it more effectively and is not embarrassed to say that's what he's doing.  Just so others understand where he's going with it.   

On the other hand, he has a streak of isolationism in him.  He really doesn't want us to get into foreign wars where Americans will bleed.  His shock and awe regarding NK is just a bluff to get them to the table.  Going to war is the last thing on his mind. We definitely need to settle this with NK at the negotiating table rather than a battlefield.  Don't you think so?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2018, 08:54:57 pm »

Well, it's crass. 
But stating he can grab women's pussies isn't.
Trump just wants to do it more effectively and is not embarrassed to say that's what he's doing.
Expect when he doesn't do anything but talk. He's so effective, he and others told us for days and days he couldn’t change the zero tolerance that separated the kids. Then he did it. Under pressure. 
On the other hand, he has a streak of isolationism in him.
A tiny, little streak .... Like his great skills at making deals. I await seeing some.
He really doesn't want us to get into foreign wars where Americans will bleed. 
I agree with that too. I agree about his wants to boast infrastructure. I agree with his recent talk of legalizing weed. Let's see what he actually gets done. Metaphorical promises are like what you guys think are only metaphorical lies.   
His shock and awe regarding NK is just a bluff to get them to the table
The key word is seem. I agree that the current situation seems better than the days of little rocket man taunts.
IF he doesn't blow up the world, I'll be quite happy.  8)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:51:14 pm by digitaldog »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2018, 09:43:13 pm »

Well we seem to agree more than we disagree.  That's a good start.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2018, 10:02:01 pm »

Well, it's crass.  But America has always used it's wealth and military muscle to push its way around the world.  That's how big powers act.  Trump just wants to do it more effectively and is not embarrassed to say that's what he's doing.  Just so others understand where he's going with it.   

Well, that's ok then.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2018, 10:12:08 pm »

Well, that's ok then.
Sure. For America.

jeremyrh

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2018, 04:57:45 am »

Well, Donald wanted another 5% or 10%.  They couldn't lower the price another dime.  So they refused Donald, nicely of course.  So Donald said thanks, hangs up the phone, never called back,  and gave the job to a competitor.  A foreign company.  German. 

Which part of that represents "being a great deal maker"? I can do exactly the same - go into Tesco's and demand that they give me beer at a discount, then when they refuse go and buy it at Sainsbury's. I don't see myself writing a book about it.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2018, 06:18:05 am »

Here's an interesting podcast about the California economy: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/05/04/608578696/episode-839-the-indicator-goes-to-california, about some of the things have been written about this thread and others regarding the economy and undocumented labour. It's about 30 min long.

The one interesting story is about a 3rd or 4th generation California farmer who refuses to hire undocumented field hands and because of that cannot afford to run his farm anymore because the healthy California economy is providing other jobs that people prefer. He tried switching to crops that require less labour but that only goes so far. His solution was to move part of his operation to Mexico where he found cheaper land and labour.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2018, 06:26:11 am »

Sure. For America.

The jury is still out on that. Long-term strategic decisions have effects that only show up in the long term.

--
Robert

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2018, 07:02:41 am »

What I find most disturbing is not Trump and his fascism, but the American people who are offering apologetics on his behalf.

This is no longer about a difference in politics, this is about choosing between being a humane, caring individual, or an utterly immoral little shit who will excuse the forceful separation of young children from their parents, including pre-verbal children and babies, without papers, with no system in place to reunite them with their parents. This is surely one of the most shameful moments in US history. To not oppose it is to be complicit in an act of evil.

And now to return to some photography. Have fun folks.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2018, 07:29:08 am »

Obama was/is eloquent, professorial, oratorial, carefully weighing every word. Therefore, it is easier to take him at his word and not metaphorically.

Trump's speech is far from eloquent, far from professorial, far from oratorial, and is not carefully weighing every word. On the contrary, he speaks in hyperboles, boasting, bragging, joking, simplistically, simple sentences and simple words... and thus connects with his audience far better than Obama and annoys the elite far more than Obama.

One was growing in academia, the other on constructions sites. You can not apply the same metrics in analyzing words of those two guys.
I would really be interested in how much time Trump spent on construction sites.  I suspect it was very little as most all of that type of stuff is delegated out.  In terms of your comment about Trump's speech making, the same could be said of Hitler and we all know the result there.  If you state a lie often enough, it becomes real in many peoples minds.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2018, 07:35:50 am »

But look how the tariff situation is playing out.  We now have a huge tariff on Canadian newsprint (there is not enough capacity in the US to meet needs, nor will there be with the tariffs).  Small newspapers in rural Trump areas are seeing their per paper cost rise by about five cents.  You might not think this is much but if the paper puts out 12,000 copies a day (slightly more on Sunday) this adds up and they have to lay off news staff as there is not enough money to be saved in other areas.  These are mainly papers that cover local and not national news.  A whiskey distiller in Virginia commented the other day that their European launch is close to being cancelled as they are facing an EU tariff of 20% on their product.  German automakers are now facing a potential US tariff despite the fact that they manufacture a lot of cars here in the US.  If they were really gutsy they would shut down their US operations in retaliation and throw about 50,000 workers (in Tennessee, South Carolina, & Mississippi) out on the street.

On the other hand, he has a streak of isolationism in him.  He really doesn't want us to get into foreign wars where Americans will bleed.  His shock and awe regarding NK is just a bluff to get them to the table.  Going to war is the last thing on his mind. We definitely need to settle this with NK at the negotiating table rather than a battlefield.  Don't you think so?
If so, why are we still in Afghanistan, Iraq, & Syria?

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2018, 08:00:35 am »

It's interesting as this thread is a microcosm of tribal America.  American politics has long been tribal (one should read Achen and Bartels' book on this topic).  That's OK in my mind and we need to accept the voter's decision.  Accept does not mean respect and dissent in America has always played a major role in our society and one always hopes that it is peaceful.

I think the dissent that is taking place on this thread (and others that have preceded it) deal mainly with the character of President Trump.  Some of you have argued that the press is complicit in attacking President Trump; I think this is an incorrect reading.  The mainstream news press face a conundrum in how they write about Presidential statements that are verifiably untrue.  The Washington Post has long published a Fact Checker column where they assess a single claim and give substantial background about its veracity.  The column has covered both Democrats and Republicans, the President and members of Congress.  The fact that it spends more time on the President is indicative of the sheer number of false statements he has issued.  In the long run this is damaging because many will no understand what is true from what is false.

Just this week it was uncovered that President Trump's foundation filed four false tax returns.  President Trump in another 'campaign' rally said there have been 63,000 deaths attributable to illegal immigrants (a number that came from a 2006 press release from Iowa Congressman Steven King that is based on extrapolated data and easily proven wrong).  We have also seen repeated claims that that Democrats are to blame for the immigration laws and so on.

I find it ironic that our Attorney General relies on a Biblical verse (Romans 13) when he seems also to counsel a President who has given short shrift to at least four of the Ten Commandments.  We seem to be moving inexorably to an Orwellian outcome where truth is no longer respected. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2018, 08:20:20 am »

The jury is still out on that. Long-term strategic decisions have effects that only show up in the long term.

I agree with you.  However, Trump won running on a campaign of putting America first.  He's carrying out his campaign promises something most politicians fail to do.  Good for him for doing what he said he would do.  If he's wrong, the Republicans and Trump will lose politically and America will be hurt economically and internationally.  If he's right, then the Republicans, Trump and the country will win.  Unfortunately, all the bile about Trumps' policies coming from his political and media adversaries, including the unfortunate situation with the illegals,  are not about helping the country or the kids.  Rather they are attacks on Trump to gain political power for themselves. 

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2018, 08:30:00 am »

Are the majority of Americans better off under Trump? Is there any sort of data that can be trusted on that? Do people feel better off? Or is it too early to tell?

Not my monkey, not my circus. Just wondering.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

stamper

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2018, 08:31:08 am »

Katrin Eismann is a Photoshop author of whom most members will be aware of ? I liked a post of hers on Facebook.

"In an ideal scenario the President of the United States and the worst human being in the world would be two different people." @TheTweetOfGod

Another quote.

“I am a white privileged straight woman. Until this THING is out of office; I am Black, I am Gay, I am Muslim, I am Poor, I am Trans, I am Mexican, I am an Immigrant, I am a Feminist, and finally I am an American.”

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2018, 08:32:38 am »

I would really be interested in how much time Trump spent on construction sites.  I suspect it was very little as most all of that type of stuff is delegated out.  In terms of your comment about Trump's speech making, the same could be said of Hitler and we all know the result there.  If you state a lie often enough, it becomes real in many peoples minds.

So now you're calling Trump like Hitler.  And I suppose I'm like a brown shirt Nazi.  Shame on you. 

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2018, 08:41:51 am »

So now you're calling Trump like Hitler.  And I suppose I'm like a brown shirt Nazi.  Shame on you.
His campaign rallies are not unlike those we have seen in the Riefenstahl films.  The fact that he continues to harp on Hilary Clinton almost two years after the election and the crowds continue their chants of 'lock her up' makes this an apt analogy.  His disdain for the truth is straight out of the authoritarian play book.  He is a bully and will not tolerate dissent of any kind (witness his calling out of Mark Sanford at the Republican House meeting the other day.  Is this just his own insecurity or is it something more?).  He has done fewer press conferences than any other President in my time.  Point to me where I slighted you in any way.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up