Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you like him now? Trump vs the little kid.  (Read 14438 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: How do you like him now? Trump vs the little kid.
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2018, 10:10:11 am »

Stop calling him Hitler and his supporters Nazis.  It's not true and it's insulting.
Show me one statement where I called his supporters Nazis (there were lots of Germans who supported Hitler that were never party members).  If you don't like the HItler analogy, tough toenails as it is an apt one as any viewer of the old propaganda films can easily see.  You should really read 'The True Believer' by Eric Hoffer and you would quickly see the appeal of Trump for those who do not believe in facts.  You still have never answered the question about whether this continual lying by our President is good for the country.  Tribalism is OK and a fact of life but disbelief in the truth is not and quickly leads to authoritarianism.  the fact that a lot of us are concerned about this feature of this President speaks to this point.  You can continue to support him but I am surprised that you cannot acknowledge his blatant attacks on the truth.  I don't know how else to put it.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2018, 10:10:53 am »

Sorry, but that's a typical kneejerk FUD type of remark.

Hasn't anyone wondered that by helping the home countries of these people, or improving their human rights position, there might not be a need(!) for or a benefit to emigration? I'm not talking about economic fortune seekers, but people who think that separating from, and sending their children unaccompanied to another country is a better option than keeping them at home (without food or under fear of prosecution).

But then, that is not being helped by pulling out of trade agreements and the USA withdrawing From United Nations Human Rights Council. I'm not saying that all these agreements are perfect, or that the UNHRC is perfect, far from it in the latter case. But how does not talking help, anyone?

Isolation is a demonstration of moral bankruptcy. Closing one's eyes/ears doesn't make the bad stuff go away.

Anyway, this thread has again proven the power of images, manipulated or otherwise.

Cheers,
Bart
Bart, You're not American and you don't live in America.  Who are you to tell us how many immigrants to take in?  You should take them into your country in Europe if you feel so strongly about it. I read the papers and it seems most European countries are trying to pass off refugees escaping war in their own countries to other  European countries.  No one wants them.  But we should open our borders to everyone who thinks they should be here.  We are country that does allow immigration.  We allow approximately 1,000,000 immigrants into our country every year.  The current total of legal immigrants is now over 35,000,000.  We will continue to allow immigration.  It's part of our heritage.  But it has to be legal. 

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2018, 10:11:34 am »

. . .President Trump shows little regard for the truth. . .

Perhaps, Alan, but he shows a hell of a lot more regard for the truth than does Time magazine.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2018, 10:21:27 am »

Stop calling him Hitler and his supporters Nazis.  It's not true and it's insulting.
Alan, get real!  Here is the exact quote from my original post, "...In terms of your comment about Trump's speech making, the same could be said of Hitler and we all know the result there.  If you state a lie often enough, it becomes real in many peoples minds..." 

This was a comparison of Trump's ongoing campaign rallies (despite the fact the election was decided almost two years ago now).  I'm just asking you to understand an analogy.  Do you disagree with the second sentence of the above quote?  You and others still have not addressed the key thing that a lot of lying is going on at these rallies and in his Tweets.  Do you think this is good for political discourse or for America in general?  Of course the common response is that this is all 'fake news' even when there is ample documentation to show that it is an outright lie and not even a slight bending of the truth.  He was caught in another one yesterday when he commented on the increase crime in Germany last year after a lot immigration was permitted.  German statistics showed this to be demonstrably false.

My question is, how can you tolerate this????

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2018, 10:25:30 am »

Show me one statement where I called his supporters Nazis (there were lots of Germans who supported Hitler that were never party members).  If you don't like the HItler analogy, tough toenails as it is an apt one as any viewer of the old propaganda films can easily see.  You should really read 'The True Believer' by Eric Hoffer and you would quickly see the appeal of Trump for those who do not believe in facts.  You still have never answered the question about whether this continual lying by our President is good for the country.  Tribalism is OK and a fact of life but disbelief in the truth is not and quickly leads to authoritarianism.  the fact that a lot of us are concerned about this feature of this President speaks to this point.  You can continue to support him but I am surprised that you cannot acknowledge his blatant attacks on the truth.  I don't know how else to put it.

Obama lied about Obamacare.  He lied about secret agreements to Iran.  He lied about what happened in Benghazi.  He lied about the games the IRS played during the 2012 election. But no one called him Hitler.  Sure, Trump lies.  Heck, most politicians lie.  Where have you been?  What's the joke.  "How do you know when a politician is lying?  Well, his lips are moving."

However, that doesn't give you the right to called a politician Hitler and by extension his supporters brown shirts. 

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2018, 10:32:54 am »

Here is a good columnon Jared Kushner's grandparents who escaped the Holocaust but had to live as refuges for some time before coming into the US.  Money quote from his grandmother, “For the Jews, the doors were closed. We never understood that. Even President Roosevelt kept the doors closed. Why?”

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2018, 10:35:52 am »

However, that doesn't give you the right to called a politician Hitler and by extension his supporters brown shirts.
Your demonstrable lack of reading comprehension regarding my original statement and the re-posting and explanation is just too curious.  If you cannot understand an analogy to an action, "campaign rallies" than this part of the discussion is indeed over.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2018, 10:40:30 am »

Time to shut it down, Jeremy. Alan's lost it again.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2018, 10:40:38 am »

So, Alan G., you are basicallly conforming that:

- you compared Trump to Hitler via “analogy”
- by extension, Trump supporters to Hitler supporters
- your “analogy” was correct and justified

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2018, 10:46:42 am »

So, Alan G., you are basicallly conforming that:

- you compared Trump to Hitler via “analogy”
- by extension, Trump supporters to Hitler supporters
- your “analogy” was correct and justified
Analogy, metaphor or lie, some here can’t see a difference!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2018, 10:51:21 am »

Time to shut it down, Jeremy. Alan's lost it again.
Ah Yes, censorship is the answer when calling it fake news does not work. Trump would be proud of you if his examples are to be used by his supporters.
Shut down the entire forum; force us to debate Photogrpaphy, force both sides to post such topics elsewhere on the web; I am ok with that!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2018, 10:54:55 am »

Ah Yes, censorship is the answer when calling it fake news does not work...

Oh, dear! Says a supporter of political correctness, the most corrosive form of censorship.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2018, 11:03:46 am »

My favourite Trump supporter line is “He tells it like it is!”

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2018, 11:14:54 am »

Oh, dear! Says a supporter of political correctness, the most corrosive form of censorship.

What does that say about (political) incorrectness?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2018, 11:16:02 am »

My favourite Trump supporter line is “He tells it like it is!”
He does when one suspends all evidence based logical facts:
“Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.” -Voltaire

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2018, 11:28:06 am »

Analogy, metaphor or lie, some here can’t see a difference!
+1, it's amazing how people interpret a sentence for their own ends.  I thought the comparator was pretty clear.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2018, 11:30:16 am »

+1, it's amazing how people interpret a sentence for their own ends.  I thought the comparator was pretty clear.

It was clear, that's why it hurts.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2018, 11:32:38 am »

He does when one suspends all evidence based logical facts:
“Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.” -Voltaire
"Hatred is the most accessible and comprehensive of all unifying agents." - Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer" #65

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2018, 11:43:52 am »

"Hatred is the most accessible and comprehensive of all unifying agents." - Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer" #65
Further, with respect to Trump, who is so much talk about strength:
"Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength." - Eric Hoffer
Rudeness is IMHO, a kind description of our President’s behavior.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2018, 11:45:34 am »

What does that say about (political) incorrectness?...

A lot... about freedom of speech.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up