Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: wifi tethering the one thing the X1D has i wish the GFX had:)  (Read 5010 times)

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: wifi tethering the one thing the X1D has i wish the GFX had:)
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 09:50:37 pm »

Let us all accept that Phase One has a great wifi tablet solution and move on.
Now if the discussion had anything to do with Phase One that would be useful, however it was a comparison of the Hasselblad X1D and the Fuji GFX. Why? Well possibly because they are in the same category of medium format mirrorless cameras. That is also a fact. They are popular because they are about one third the size, weight and price of the Phase One.

Perhaps someone can start a thread on "Why are Phase One Cameras so big, heavy and expensive?" (:-)

Boy, a thread gets a bit off target and those Hasselblad users sure get sensitive about it. Unless it gets off target for Hasselblad or anything else but Phase One. Then I guess it's ok.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=125269.0

Listen, if someone posts something that is misleading to the members who read this forum, and it is a topic I am familiar with, I'm going to quite possibly post a correction, unless someone else does. This usually involves Phase One, but not always, I've also posted helpful information on Hasselblad and a host of other products and technologies. Unlike some, I do not post advertorials for Phase One or any brand.

If Paul wants to express doubt about whether Phase One has remote tablet capability via built-in wifi, I'm going to set the record straight. Now that's done, I'm happy to let the thread wander in whatever direction it wants to.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Joe Towner

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 01:10:23 am »

i remember the leaf vale well, i had that combo with the ipaq...

and this is not about getting all files wirelessly onto a laptop or tablet....with file sizes getting bigger and bigger i dont really see a good solution for that coming soon anyway, regardless of how fast wifi speeds are getting...

the solution that hasselblad (and leaf and i guess phase) were and are offering is a way to hand somebody a tablet (more or less a large display) and being able to see all shots as they are taken....not 10 sec behind and not a real wireless transmission.....but still a way to zoom in quickly (without bringing everything to a grinding stop) and to quickly mark favorites.....

to me all the wifi implementations sony, nikon, canon, fuji are offering are more or less useless and the better the cameras, the more useless it gets....this is not about wirelessly transferring a 40 or 50 pix raw file......this is about having the option to see the same preview (available on the rear lcd) on a tablet.....hasselblad (and i guess phase) can do it....

but i guess judging from some comments made here, people aren't even aware of this option and always consider wifi tether a full transfer....

Actually, the workflow you're talking about can be done with a lot of Canon/Nikon/Sony cameras with Capture One - USB3 tether a supported camera to laptop and enable the Capture Pilot Image Server.  From an iOS device you have full review with some basic adjustments, and there is a in-app purchase that'll give you full camera control from the iPad remotely.  Plus, you can browse the Image Server with any browser, so review could be pulled up on an Android device.

Part of the fun is that as much as we rely on wifi, damned if it doesn't like to fail when you need it most.  A photographer isn't going to be technical enough to dig in on why the wifi is flaking out (for example connected to a N router on 2.4ghz with lots of other traffic making the signal flakey) - especially when it works fine on their phone/laptop.  Yes, bringing your own 5ghz 802.11ac would solve that issue, but there are enough other things that can go wrong on a set at any given time.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 02:34:04 am »

Actually, the workflow you're talking about can be done with a lot of Canon/Nikon/Sony cameras with Capture One - USB3 tether a supported camera to laptop and enable the Capture Pilot Image Server. 
Part of the fun is that as much as we rely on wifi, damned if it doesn't like to fail when you need it most.  A photographer isn't going to be technical enough to dig in on why the wifi is flaking out (for example connected to a N router on 2.4ghz with lots of other traffic making the signal flakey).......
-Joe
The system you are talking about can be done with almost any camera using the cameras own software. I used it with the H3D and Phocus to Phocus Mobile. I have done it with Canon and EOS Utility.

The X1D does not use a router. It acts as a router and the iOS device connects direct to it using the SSID of the camera serial number. So there "should" be no interference.
Is it reliable? Seems to be but I have not been using it long enough to really say. What  I need to try is the X1D connected to Phocus by USB to download the images at the same time as using the iOS device for customer monitoring and rating.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Joe Towner

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 12:40:39 pm »

The system you are talking about can be done with almost any camera using the cameras own software. I used it with the H3D and Phocus to Phocus Mobile. I have done it with Canon and EOS Utility.

The X1D does not use a router. It acts as a router and the iOS device connects direct to it using the SSID of the camera serial number. So there "should" be no interference.
Is it reliable? Seems to be but I have not been using it long enough to really say. What  I need to try is the X1D connected to Phocus by USB to download the images at the same time as using the iOS device for customer monitoring and rating.

2.4ghz wifi only has 3 channels that don't interfere with each other, so unless you're in the middle of nowhere, there's going to be a lot of random 2.4ghz noise (interference).  In urban areas this can be a huge problem.  The IQ2 & IQ3 backs have the same wifi functionality as the X1d - as in it'll broadcast a SSID that you can select.  Same thing for EyeFI or CamRanger - these all don't require a router, but they act as Access Points, and they suck at it.  Connecting to a proper wifi access point makes it one less thing that the camera has to do well, and is a best practice to follow.

As to the workflow, the multiple viewpoints seems to be the one thing that other packages don't do well - but CaptureOne and CapturePilot excel at.
t: @PNWMF

pschefz

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 01:05:34 pm »

Paul, you don't have to guess that Phase One has a great tablet handing solution, it's a fact. They do. Works very similarly to Hasselblad's implementation and was working that way before Hasselblad had anything approaching the same built-in capability.

Steve Hendrix/CI

i switched to phase backs after the leaf and none of my phase backs had wifi built in or anything close to what the leaf had....i am sure it has changed but to be honest i got tired of the constant upgrade cycle and the backs getting more and more expensive while my DSLR systems got cheaper and cheaper while gaining rapidly on the phase backs in terms of IQ....
i dont get why hasselblad and fuji can come in now and do what phase failed to do years ago...when they were in the best position to at least try and come out with lower end models to compete with cheaper and cheaper DSLRs with the better and better IQ....
but i guess it goes along with refusing to sell C1 to fuji GFX owners....
schefz.com
artloch.com

pschefz

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 01:08:25 pm »

Actually, the workflow you're talking about can be done with a lot of Canon/Nikon/Sony cameras with Capture One - USB3 tether a supported camera to laptop and enable the Capture Pilot Image Server.  From an iOS device you have full review with some basic adjustments, and there is a in-app purchase that'll give you full camera control from the iPad remotely.  Plus, you can browse the Image Server with any browser, so review could be pulled up on an Android device.

Part of the fun is that as much as we rely on wifi, damned if it doesn't like to fail when you need it most.  A photographer isn't going to be technical enough to dig in on why the wifi is flaking out (for example connected to a N router on 2.4ghz with lots of other traffic making the signal flakey) - especially when it works fine on their phone/laptop.  Yes, bringing your own 5ghz 802.11ac would solve that issue, but there are enough other things that can go wrong on a set at any given time.

-Joe

i am aware of that solution.....not the same at all.....i need a computer that runs a server and the camera is still connected with a cable.....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 01:56:36 pm »

i switched to phase backs after the leaf and none of my phase backs had wifi built in or anything close to what the leaf had....i am sure it has changed but to be honest i got tired of the constant upgrade cycle and the backs getting more and more expensive while my DSLR systems got cheaper and cheaper while gaining rapidly on the phase backs in terms of IQ....
i dont get why hasselblad and fuji can come in now and do what phase failed to do years ago...when they were in the best position to at least try and come out with lower end models to compete with cheaper and cheaper DSLRs with the better and better IQ....
but i guess it goes along with refusing to sell C1 to fuji GFX owners....

Paul, I can respect any feelings you have about how much Phase One should charge for their products. However, there's not much difference at all in pricing between a Phase One and Hasselblad digital back system. If Phase One chooses to create a mirrorless system (which I hope they do), the price will surely be more competitive to current mirrorless offerings from Hasselblad and Fuji. Apples and oranges.

But that doesn't have a darn thing to do with the topic of wifi implementation.

The fact that you used Phase One backs before their wifi solution was created isn't any fault of Phase One. Did you love seeing that crappy low rez image on the iPaq? No - it was better than nothing. Since early 2013, over 5 years ago, Phase One has had built-in wifi that blows away the wifi capability you're referring to with the older Leaf Valeo backs and pre-dates the Hasselblad adoption of wifi as a solution.

I find your whole attitude toward the topic of Phase One's implementation of wifi at best just unaware. And even though the correct factual information has been presented, you keep clapping back. There's plenty of information on these forums that goes back years concerning Phase One's wifi implementation.

Steve Hendrix/CI

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:21:27 pm by Steve Hendrix »

pschefz

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 07:28:58 pm »

Paul, I can respect any feelings you have about how much Phase One should charge for their products. However, there's not much difference at all in pricing between a Phase One and Hasselblad digital back system. If Phase One chooses to create a mirrorless system (which I hope they do), the price will surely be more competitive to current mirrorless offerings from Hasselblad and Fuji. Apples and oranges.

But that doesn't have a darn thing to do with the topic of wifi implementation.

The fact that you used Phase One backs before their wifi solution was created isn't any fault of Phase One. Did you love seeing that crappy low rez image on the iPaq? No - it was better than nothing. Since early 2013, over 5 years ago, Phase One has had built-in wifi that blows away the wifi capability you're referring to with the older Leaf Valeo backs and pre-dates the Hasselblad adoption of wifi as a solution.

I find your whole attitude toward the topic of Phase One's implementation of wifi at best just unaware. And even though the correct factual information has been presented, you keep clapping back. There's plenty of information on these forums that goes back years concerning Phase One's wifi implementation.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve, i fully understand that phase does offer and has offered this feature for years....
but i really don't care what features phase has or does not have....neither hasselblad H system nor phase system are of any interest to me which is why neither are mentioned in my initial post....
i have mentioned this specific way of a "wifi preview tethering" over the years in many places, i am more interested in why sony, canon, fuji, nikon haven"t picked it up then how long phase has had it...

schefz.com
artloch.com

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 08:25:37 pm »

Steve, i fully understand that phase does offer and has offered this feature for years....
but i really don't care what features phase has or does not have....neither hasselblad H system nor phase system are of any interest to me which is why neither are mentioned in my initial post....
i have mentioned this specific way of a "wifi preview tethering" over the years in many places, i am more interested in why sony, canon, fuji, nikon haven"t picked it up then how long phase has had it...

Why didn't you say so then instead of throwing up denials and expressing doubt Phase One ever even had such a thing. Bob did as well and then posted information that was factually incorrect (IQ1 100 has no live view). Sorry if I felt compelled to ensure accuracy. Let's just move on.

Steve Hendrix/CI

jduncan

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 06:38:43 pm »

Not "possibly" Bob, factually.

;)

And an IQ3 50 costs $21,990, not $49,990. An IQ1 50 full kit with XF Camera and Schneider 80mm Blue Ring Lens costs $14,990. To be sure, there is still a price difference, but it is not anywhere near as dramatic as you stated.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Can you refrain from misleading people? does the IQ1 come with wireless? 
Is this a Lie from Digital T to push people to buy the IQ3? https://digitaltransitions.com/phase-one-iq1-100mp-vs-iq3-100mp/ ?

I don't know if  there is some kind of desperation going on or what (the original post was not about P1 lacking something but Fuji)
but misleading people into buying something because it has a particular feature that  it does not (if I believe DT) is not nice.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 06:45:11 pm by jduncan »
english is not my first language, an I k

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 09:18:31 pm »

Can you refrain from misleading people? does the IQ1 come with wireless? 
Is this a Lie from Digital T to push people to buy the IQ3? https://digitaltransitions.com/phase-one-iq1-100mp-vs-iq3-100mp/ ?

I don't know if  there is some kind of desperation going on or what (the original post was not about P1 lacking something but Fuji)
but misleading people into buying something because it has a particular feature that  it does not (if I believe DT) is not nice.

Best regards,

JDuncan - what on earth are you talking about? Do you even know what you're talking about?

Do you even know who I am?

Neither I nor my company, Capture Integration, has any association with Digital Transitions, whatsoever. Doug Peterson may be "wildly biased" as he likes to say, and advertorializes on behalf of Phase One, and that is fine and his call, but I have zero association with Doug or DT, the company he works for.

I've been a member of Lula for over 10 years and have posted over 1,400 posts of objective and factual information, mostly about Phase One, but not restricted only to Phase One (we do carry other products such as Alpa Cameras, Profoto lighting, even Hasselblad cameras at times). Many of my clients are members of this forum.

Bob Shaw posted this:

"the IQ3 in Australia costs $49,990 and I bought the X1D for $7600".

That is what is misleading (though in fairness to Bob, perhaps not intentionally), comparing the price of a Phase One 100mp full frame 645 model to a 50mp crop sensor X1D. What I posted is not misleading, nor was there any attempt to mislead. Contrarily, the attempt was to provide accuracy and clarity. How did I not do so? What I posted was the correct price for an IQ350 (which does use the same sensor as an X1D) and also mentioned an IQ150 was only $14,990. I never even mentioned WiFi, but I mentioned the IQ350 first because it does indeed have wifi and is a more apples to apples comparison to an X1D (pursuant to the original topic). If I had only mentioned the IQ150 and somehow implied that it had wifi, then yes, that would have been misleading. But I did not do such a thing.

I don't care what any original topic is. If someone posts information that is misleading or inaccurate, and I have expertise in the matter, I'll post a correction. I have every right to do so, and the Lula members have a right to truth. Note that I did not interject Phase One into the topic, someone else did.

Finally, you do realize that the most offensive thing you can ever say to me is to question my integrity. And before you do so, perhaps you should first review things factually and know exactly who you're talking about.

Steve Hendrix/CI

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:26:35 pm by Steve Hendrix »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2018, 05:26:49 am »

Bob Shaw posted this:

"the IQ3 in Australia costs $49,990 and I bought the X1D for $7600".

That is what is misleading (though in fairness to Bob, perhaps not intentionally), comparing the price of a Phase One 100mp full frame 645 model to a 50mp crop sensor X1D. What I posted is not misleading, nor was there any attempt to mislead. Contrarily, the attempt was to provide accuracy and clarity. How did I not do so? What I posted was the correct price for an IQ350 (which does use the same sensor as an X1D) and also mentioned an IQ150 was only $14,990.
Steve Hendrix/CI
Yes I not intentionally referred to the 100MP but everything you said after that was wrong. I clearly stated that it was in Australian dollars and I don't know for sure that you yet understand that there is a difference, even after explaining it to you.
I got the prices from a review in May 2018
http://au.pcmag.com/phase-one-iq3-100mp-trichromatic/53299/review/phase-one-iq3-100mp-trichromatic
I accept now after actually confirming prices with a dealer and with current EOFY offerings and posted so above that the 50MP is still over $30,000 AU which is only 3 times the price of the X1D.

Is it the same camera as the H6D or the Phase IQ3? No, however ..
THIS POST IS (OR WAS) ABOUT THE X1D vs GFX AND WIFI.

Anyway regardless of whether it was in Australian dollars or US dollars or rupees, here is it is:
The Xid is one third the price, weight and size of your offering.

(Modified)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:55:11 pm by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

pschefz

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2018, 06:03:13 pm »

Why didn't you say so then instead of throwing up denials and expressing doubt Phase One ever even had such a thing. Bob did as well and then posted information that was factually incorrect (IQ1 100 has no live view). Sorry if I felt compelled to ensure accuracy. Let's just move on.

Steve Hendrix/CI
really?
i wrote " the solution that hasselblad (and leaf and i guess phase) were and are offering..."
not sure how that is throwing up denials.....i choose the word "guess" because i could not care less about what phase can, or could do...I GUESS the H system can do it as well.....i did not mention that either?
i am only still here because i started this thread and i honestly dont understand why you still keep going on about what phase system can do what?
again: i am honestly surprised that no DSLR system has this function and since the X1D has it, i really wish the GFX would as well....i think this is just something the software engineers havent thought about....actual wifi transfer of huge files is not something i am interested in....i am pretty sure this could be a firmware upgrade for most cameras....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2018, 07:48:06 pm »

really?
i wrote " the solution that hasselblad (and leaf and i guess phase) were and are offering..."
not sure how that is throwing up denials.....i choose the word "guess" because i could not care less about what phase can, or could do...I GUESS the H system can do it as well.....i did not mention that either?
i am only still here because i started this thread and i honestly dont understand why you still keep going on about what phase system can do what?
again: i am honestly surprised that no DSLR system has this function and since the X1D has it, i really wish the GFX would as well....i think this is just something the software engineers havent thought about....actual wifi transfer of huge files is not something i am interested in....i am pretty sure this could be a firmware upgrade for most cameras....

As I told Bob Shaw, I would love to move on and let the thread get back on course, so can we just agree to disagree that when multiple authorities on a topic state a fact and you then say you GUESS it's true, in your mind you have acknowledged it and in my mind you're questioning it?

I'm in if you are. Just say yes, please.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Goldsmith

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 11:47:47 pm »

What I find most interesting about this thread about a feature that someone would like in the Fuji GFX is the fact that it has been dominated by a discussion about “Team Phase One” products and features.  To date, 67% of the posts on this thread are about a product that was not even in the original post

Just a simple observation on a trend in this Forum

-Steve
Steve Goldsmith
Hasselblad Inc.
steve.goldsmith@hasselblad.com | mobile: 847-722-3397
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up