Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 80   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018  (Read 160171 times)

faberryman

Re: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018
« Reply #1440 on: November 22, 2018, 05:30:40 pm »

Swing a dead cat and you find one. This thread is already 73 pages long with plenty of first hand accounts from those who couldn't restrain themselves and rushed out to buy their very own Z7.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, and crowd-sourced reviews?
« Reply #1441 on: November 22, 2018, 08:21:59 pm »

How about some crowd-sourcing of reviews: a thread for the Z7 (and one for each interesting new camera) intended only for reports from actual users of said camera?
there is this one on the Z7

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127494.0
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BJL

Re: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, and crowd-sourced reviews?
« Reply #1442 on: November 22, 2018, 11:02:01 pm »

there is this one on the Z7

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127494.0
Indeed. I’m looking forward to the Z6 and EOS-R user experience threads (and Kevin’s Z review)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1443 on: November 25, 2018, 10:09:36 pm »

Swing a dead cat and you find one. This thread is already 73 pages long with plenty of first hand accounts from those who couldn't restrain themselves and rushed out to buy their very own Z7.

Have you read many reports from unhappy Z7 owners?

The camera is obviously not perfect but is still an excellent product overall.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #1444 on: November 30, 2018, 07:18:07 pm »

I have a question for NIkon Z7 owners. Using LiveView, I have not figured out how to leave it on permanently. It stays bright for many 20 seconds and then partially dims out. Anyone know how to make it stay on? Thanks in advance.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1445 on: December 04, 2018, 08:20:51 pm »

Quick AF update...

I am in India and had the chance to use my Z7 through my taxi’s window last night.

Very dark, moving platform, moving subjects typically appearing in my viewfinder in less than 0.5s, f1.8 on the 35mm f1.8 S.

Incredibly enough, I have never gotten as many keepers from my D850. And the gap in favour of the Z7 is significant.

The secret? AF-C in wide area mode which is the equivalent of group AF on the D850 I had used rather successfully on the D850.

Obviously you don’t have much control on where it does focus but man... what an incredible performance that was.

One caveat is that I was using the 28mm f1.4 on the D850 that is arguably slower to focus being f1.4, but still...

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1446 on: December 12, 2018, 06:03:26 pm »

https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z-50mm-f1-8s-review/

The conclusion in short is Otus 55mm f1.4 like quality at less than 1/4th the price, half the weight and 2/3rd the size... with AF.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #1447 on: December 12, 2018, 08:07:29 pm »

https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z-50mm-f1-8s-review/

The conclusion in short is Otus 55mm f1.4 like quality at less than 1/4th the price, half the weight and 2/3rd the size... with AF.

Cheers,
Bernard

I am not clear how you come up with that from the review. I don't see how the 50mm is anywhere close to the Otus. Please explain if you have time. Thanks.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

chez

« Reply #1448 on: December 12, 2018, 09:27:33 pm »

I am not clear how you come up with that from the review. I don't see how the 50mm is anywhere close to the Otus. Please explain if you have time. Thanks.

You must put on those Nikon made rose coloured glasses that Bernard wears. Everything through them with a Nikon label turns to gold.

In other words...take people’s opinions with a grain of salt.

BJL

« Reply #1449 on: December 12, 2018, 10:17:43 pm »

To be fair, that is roughly the conclusion that the linked article states. But there is room for some skepticism with the methodology, like comparing MTF wide open (so f/1.8 vs f/1.4) instead of only at equal f-stop.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1450 on: December 13, 2018, 02:03:37 am »

To be fair, that is roughly the conclusion that the linked article states. But there is room for some skepticism with the methodology, like comparing MTF wide open (so f/1.8 vs f/1.4) instead of only at equal f-stop.

Exactly, if you read the review, the conclusion for most of the comparison items is that the lenses are very close.

I am pretty sure that Chez didn't bother reading it but is just commenting based on his pre-conveived ideas about my lack of objectivity. Not to mention the fact that he has zero interest in Nikon equipment. There is little more than bad mouthing going on here... ;)

Besides, I own both and I am very impressed by the 50mm f1.8 S. I was one of the first here to own an Otus and to boast about its qualities, I have zero reason to prefer one over the other.

I personally find the Otus to be a bit better still, but the gap nowhere justifies the difference in price/weight/size. The 50mm f1.8 S is both an incredible deal and a remarkable performer in absolute terms.

What's so strange with the 50mm f1.8 S being a remarkable lens when Nikon told us it would be, when the MTF charts shows it should be, when the mount it is relying on is the most promising there is, when all recent Nikon lenses have been top performers, when all the other tests published so far have been very positive,... how could this 50mm f1.8 S not be very good?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:19:42 am by BernardLanguillier »

JaapD

« Reply #1451 on: December 13, 2018, 06:54:09 am »

Hi Bernard,

I agree that this 50mm f/1.8S is very good indeed, no question about that. On the other hand I don’t recognize “all recent Nikon lenses have been top performers”. For me a top performer is one that also performs near the edges. I see that only in Nikon’s tele range, with the rest I’m not that impressed. For instance it doesn’t come close to Sony’s G-Master lenses.

And no, I don’t have a Sony camera and have no business with Sony what so ever.

Regards,
Jaap.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1452 on: December 13, 2018, 07:27:37 am »

Hi Bernard,
I agree that this 50mm f/1.8S is very good indeed, no question about that. On the other hand I don’t recognize “all recent Nikon lenses have been top performers”. For me a top performer is one that also performs near the edges. I see that only in Nikon’s tele range, with the rest I’m not that impressed. For instance it doesn’t come close to Sony’s G-Master lenses.
And no, I don’t have a Sony camera and have no business with Sony what so ever.
Regards,
Jaap.

I think the 35mm 1.8 that came with the Z is a good lens , but not that good in the corners- on the other hand the 24-70  f4 is a very good zoom with good corners... i tested both.
It was about time Nikon came with a decent 50mm lens. Have not tested it yet. Silly thing; Now i have to buy a Z camera to be able to use a good 50mm Nikkor.
I agree Nikon needs to work on more good primes, I like the 24mm 1.8G very much. It is one of my favourite lenses.
Not only does it have a flat field at infinity it has also a very nice bokeh.
What is not good is the mechanical part- not a pro lens in that sense. I would buy it if it was made as a pro lens at double the price.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1453 on: December 13, 2018, 07:46:32 am »

The best in class - or very close to - lenses (center, corner,...) they have released recently:
- 19 mm f4 T/S
- 24mm f1.8
- 28mm f1.4
- 24-70 f4 S
- 24-70 f2.8 VR (only pro spec VR pro zoom, makes a world of difference)
- 50mm f1.8 S
- 105mm f1.4 - now bettered by the Sigma, but that lens is too large for practical usage
- 70-200mm f2.8 E FL
- 180-400 f4 E

I have a hard time coming up with any of their recent release that isn't outstanding.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 06:33:52 pm by BernardLanguillier »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1454 on: December 13, 2018, 10:42:43 am »

The best in class - or very close to - lenses (center, corner,...) they have released recently:
- 19 mm f4 T/S
- 24mm f1.8
- 28mm f1.4
- 24-70 f4 S
- 24-70 f2.8 VR (only pro spec VR pro zoom, makes a world of difference)
- 50mm f1.8 S
- 105mm f1.4 - now bettered by the Sigma, but that lens is too large for practical usage
- 70-200mm f2.8 E FL

I have a hard time coming up with any of their recent release that isn't outstanding.

Cheers,
Bernard
agreed with the list...
I see 3 lenses in that list under a 800€ - two of those are for the Z...and the 24mm 1.8g
Those are the bargains. - and small + lightweight.

Update: Jim Kasson clearly shows the quality of the 50mm 1.8 lens - better than the Sigma 50 Art  !
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:56:40 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1455 on: December 14, 2018, 09:05:18 am »

Update: Jim Kasson clearly shows the quality of the 50mm 1.8 lens - better than the Sigma 50 Art  !

He must be a Nikon fanboy.  ;D

How could the Nikon be better than the Sigma that has been reviewed as being nearly as good as the Otus when Chez has told us that the Nikon can’t be any close to the Zeiss???

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #1456 on: December 14, 2018, 09:12:08 am »

He must be a Nikon fanboy.  ;D

How could the Nikon be better than the Sigma that has been reviewed as being nearly as good as the Otus when Chez has told us that the Nikon can’t be any close to the Zeiss???

Cheers,
Bernard

B. Roslett, to me personally responsible for my buying most of my many lenses, LOL, says that this 50mm S lens is perhaps the best 50mm Nikkor ever made. That says something to me.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1457 on: December 14, 2018, 09:14:25 am »

B. Roslett, to me personally responsible for my buying most of my many lenses, LOL, says that this 50mm S lens is perhaps the best 50mm Nikkor ever made. That says something to me.

Another Nikon fanboy!  ;D

Let’s face it, anyone who is not acknowledging the total superiority of Sony can only be a Nikon fanboy.

How could that not be the case since Sony is superior?

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #1458 on: December 14, 2018, 09:20:08 am »

Another Nikon fanboy!  ;D

Let’s face it, anyone who is not acknowledging the total superiority of Sony can only be a Nikon fanboy.

Cheers,
Bernard

Not sure how you are using the term "Fanboy" here. Rørslett knows Nikon glass better than anyone I have ever come across, and does not succumb IMO to Nikon just because it is Nikon. He knows lenses very well, lenses of all kinds, not just Nikon. And there are IMO a LOT of subpar Nikon Lenses out there, especially in terms of their being well-corrected as in "APO" which is not a precise term. For him to speak that highly (as you have) of the new Z7 50mm S is enough for me to take notice. However, he does not particularly care for the Otus series, which I very much do.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1459 on: December 14, 2018, 09:23:45 am »

Nikon internal competition is not very interesting alas..
Sigma, Canon, Sony and Zeiss will be the competition to refer to.
It says enough that Sigma dared to make a 50mm 1.4 ART in 2014 that was more than twice as expensive as the Nikkor and in some aspects was sharper than the Otus 58mm.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 80   Go Up