Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 7.3 BUGS  (Read 15086 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: LR 7.3 BUGS
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 02:48:42 pm »

Yes, several examples would be helpful to support the generalities being proposed there.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

ButchM

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 03:48:16 pm »

Yes I have. And it's virtually no different with other software products. The difference is, I'm not stating, without data, that LR is worse or better than other products. As someone who's used Adobe products for 28 years, I don't believe they are worse or better than (fill in the blank) software.

I never said Lightroom was better or worse in the respect of bugs and/or other issues ... only that Adobe is more than capable of doing a better job.

I too have been using Adobe products for a long time ... since 1992 Psv2.0 and dozens of of other apps since ... licensing for as many as 14 seats for individual apps and multiple entire suites ... Today I have 5 full package subscriptions, over half a dozen individual app subscriptions and the Photography package for personal use ... All I'm saying, if Adobe wants a captive audience with the subscription licensing model ... and ... they are no longer under set in granite update schedules, perhaps they could take a few more days, add a couple more private beta testers to broaden their scope and drastically reduce such issues. If that is an unfair assertion, so be it. It's what I think about the subject. If you disagree ... it won't be the first time.  :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 03:50:51 pm »

I never said Lightroom was better or worse in the respect of bugs and/or other issues ... only that Adobe is more than capable of doing a better job.
You said the following, forgive me for accepting it as stated:

it's quite clear whatever standards Adobe has in place could be expanded or improved. Many of the issues with Lightroom over the past couple of years were not insignificant outliers that were not revealed until a broader user base discovered them.
Is this unique to LR and Adobe? Is LR worse than other products? Possible but let's see some data to back it up, not impressions of outliers.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2018, 04:02:48 pm »

...............drastically reduce such issues.

I don't think any reasonable person would deny there are issues. It would be amazing if there weren't any. But when you say "drastically reduce", it renders the impression that there are a large number of them. I haven't done any inventory nor could I or would I intend to, but it just seems to me that there aren't enough of them to talk about "drastically reduce". For example, if there were ten of which they caught five pre-release, is that a drastic reduction? - maybe it's getting there; if there were two of which they caught one, would that qualify as a drastic reduction? Both are 50% - but it's how one uses the language. I don't live Adobe's shoes but I wouldn't surprised if pre-release there were a very large number of them, and upon release there remain several. So perhaps the drastic reduction has occurred before we knew it and we're just seeing the tail end they missed for some reason. I don't think that changes peoples' disappointment when something which worked before gets broken and not caught, but we should keep it all in perspective.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 04:09:38 pm »

Here's what would probably drastically reduce such issues:
Develop software for one OS!
Develop software for one group of hardware (just examine GPU issues which are tied to hardware that differs).
Get better prerelease testers that concentrate on finding bugs instead of going OT (a few here might know what I'm talking about from direct experience, if not I can't comment further)  ::)
Only provide software to customers that recognize that all software has bugs and that if they are in a production environment maybe they should wait a few months before upgrading their software.
Recognize it's impossible to please all the people (most of the people) all the time. That complaining is often more useful to them than reporting issues to the source that can fix the issue.

ButchM

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2018, 10:02:51 pm »

Is LR worse than other products? Possible but let's see some data to back it up, not impressions of outliers.

Data, Schmata ... the only data I care about is if the app(s) I pay for work as intended.

I don't care one iota what the data is when comparing issues for Adobe products with other developers. If I have a problem with a Chevy Silverado ... how does comparing issues with a comparable Ford F150 going to solve my issue?  GM is ultimately responsible for clearing up the issue, not Ford.

As I have indicated before, we had to roll back Lightroom four times during the lifecycle of the 6.x version. I don't ever recall such instances for any previous version cycles for LR or any other Adobe app we rely on for our livelihood spanning 3 decades of use. That's the only metric I care about. You may consider such instances as the status quo of the industry, but that doesn't solve the issue. Especially since Adobe doesn't refund even a portion of fees for such instances.

Adobe has a track record of late for update releases that flat out break long standing workflows. I firmly believe that a little more attention to detail, prior to the release, could go a long way in combatting those issues. With the subscription model, they are no longer compelled to hit a hard and fast target date. Why is it wrong to expect them spend just a bit more effort in QC before they release updates?

If you disagree and want to give them a pass on this topic ... by all means do so ... but that won't solve the problem either.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2018, 10:24:25 am »

Data, Schmata ... the only data I care about is if the app(s) I pay for work as intended.
Without data, you're just a person with an opinion.

ButchM

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2018, 10:49:21 am »

Without data, you're just a person with an opinion.

And that ... is your opinion.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2018, 10:52:28 am »

And that ... is your opinion.
The absurd is the last refuge of a pundit without an argument.

ButchM

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2018, 01:19:11 pm »

The absurd is the last refuge of a pundit without an argument.

Indeed

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2018, 01:31:03 pm »

OK, can we revert the thread from sparring to content? Any other bugs to be observed for LR 7.3, or is the subject exhausted. If the latter, it's a good release!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2018, 03:09:45 pm »

OK, can we revert the thread from sparring to content?

You take the words from my mouth, Mark.

Jeremy

gkroeger

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2018, 03:17:42 pm »

In the spirit of the original issue, I am not sure I would call this a bug or just a glitch of poor programming. To me (and I code a lot of research and teaching software), a bug is something that produces an wrong result or inhibits use. It seems to me this momentary display of the last cropped image doesn't ultimately prevent the software from doing the right thing... just annoys and slows the user.

As mentioned in this thread and many others, Adobe's use of graphics card specific acceleration has displayed worse problems in the past. I generally turn it off.

jrsforums

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2018, 04:15:20 pm »

OK, can we revert the thread from sparring to content? Any other bugs to be observed for LR 7.3, or is the subject exhausted. If the latter, it's a good release!

Since you asked....

I have found that the “camera matching” b&w profiles did not seem to have any color info.  That is, the (HSL) B&W section did not have any color sliders.  Other B&W profiles, including “legacy” do.

I found this to be true for Panasonic G9, G85, and GH5.  also, Canon M3.  I assume others are the same.

Actually, it maybe “as designed”, but I am not sure the reason as these profiles are created by Adobe in the same manner as the other b&w profiles.
John

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2018, 06:30:25 pm »

Well, this is a carry over from 7.2, but the as shot WB does not show in develop.  If you select another WB and then as shot again, then the slider will show the as shot WB.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2018, 02:59:13 pm »

Well, this is a carry over from 7.2, but the as shot WB does not show in develop.  If you select another WB and then as shot again, then the slider will show the as shot WB.

Agreed, easy to work around but it is a bother.
John
Flickr

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2018, 03:18:22 am »

Profiles are not syncing for me.
If I edit a photo, change the profile, and then go to the next photo and press the previous button, all the editing is brought across, but the profile selection is not. It's the same if I select the two photos and sync settings, with all options selected. The profile doesn't change.

MacOS 10.13.4
Sony A7R3 raw files.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2018, 07:50:08 am »

A version 7.3.1 has just been released - bug fixes re preset sorting, syncing B&W settings, and backup catalog corruption (Windows).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:03:43 am by john beardsworth »

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2018, 01:11:24 pm »

Since version 7.3 I'm having a consistent issue where when the program sits idle for an hour or so, it gets into "thinking" mode and won't come out.  I have to kill it and open again to continue work.  I've tried to isolate plugins to make sure they aren't doing something to create it but so far that doesn't seem to make any difference.  This latest release does it as well I've just verified it.
John
Flickr

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2018, 08:45:09 pm »

from dpreview:

the software giant (ADOBE) is back with an apology and a slew of bug fixes in the form of Adobe Lightroom Classic CC 7.3.1.
The release went live this morning, complete with this apology on the Adobe blog:

"We heard your feedback and felt that parts of the release didn’t uphold the level of quality that we hold ourselves to.
We’re happy to report that these issues were resolved and now available for immediate download.
Some of the issues resolved included converting presets, sorting and copying/pasting profiles, translation errors, along with crash fixes."

----
What i don't understand is that these bugs are very easy to spot as soon a someone works with it.
So, why not test it before putting it out?
There is no rush?/ deadline?

It saves many people/ users a lot of frustration.
I read Adobe make more money, but i guess it all goes to the shareholders...
Maybe an idea to hire a bunch of people to test new updates...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up