Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Tillerson out?  (Read 14502 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Tillerson out?
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:29:52 am »

So let's see if civilised discussion is still possible, note that I have zero tolerance for inappropriate direct or implied generalisations.

But this one has me worried, and I would like to know other people's view. Please understand that:
1. I am not a US citizen
2. If I were a US citizen, I would lean towards democrats
3. If the democrats had a reasonable candidate other than Hillary, that person would likely have had my vote.

A US president's primary objective is surrounding him/herself with the best team possible. Therefore one should prefer a well connected and networked president. I don't much care for the Bush jr philosophy and legacy, but he certainly was able to form and manage a great team.

And this is what worries me with Trump, as Trump's general strategy in business is: hire & fire until you find the best fit. While that may work in a business setting, it is absolutely counterproductive in politics, because no self-respecting good politician is going to put his/her reputation on the line in that way, since being fired at that level pretty much means the end of one's political career.

And now apparently we lost Tillerson as secretary of state. Frankly it was the one person I deemed a good candidate in a good position in the Trump team. (Can you even call it a team with the current speed of changes?). In fact, if you lean toward conservative or ultra-conservative thinking, and also like a more business-like approach to politics, then Tillerson would probably be the ultimate presidential candidate as well.

So, how do others, especially conservatives, view Tillerson and these recent events?

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

DP

Re: Tillerson out?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:31:24 am »

good riddance, now if Trump can rid of Nikki, Pompeo and some others we are all set  ;D

James Clark

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:49:15 pm »

good riddance, now if Trump can rid of Nikki, Pompeo and some others we are all set  ;D

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but with the exception of Mattis you've just listed the remaining cabinet members who could reasonably be labeled as competent, their political leanings notwithstanding.   

"All the best people..."  Isn't that what Trump said?  It's a joke that would be hilarious, if it weren't so pathetic.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:59:23 pm »

But wait, there's more....

President Donald Trump's longtime personal aide John McEntee is out at the White House, marking yet another departure in an executive office marked by a revolving door of hirings and firings.

An Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman quit and accused top Trump administration officials of releasing "misleading facts" over recent raids in California.

They go in threes (per day)?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DP

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 01:12:49 pm »

I can't tell if you're being serious

of course I am... I am sorry I forgot to mention rabid dog Mattis in the list.

DP

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 01:14:21 pm »

An Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman quit and accused top Trump administration officials of releasing "misleading facts" over recent raids in California.

that was probably some closet(ed) democrat...

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 01:20:38 pm »

I'm specifically asking about Tillerson. It seems if you want to establish stable, long-term relations with foreign entities, it would stand to reason to want a stable entrypoint into your administration. Additionally, i would trust a person of his experience and stature regarding assessment of and strategic direction in foreign affairs.

But perhaps other people have a better idea of who he is and how he does or doesn't fit.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

DP

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 02:07:41 pm »

meanwhile : Gina, She Wolf of the SS = https://twitter.com/ECCHRBerlin/status/973554007695294464

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 02:10:27 pm »

Tillerson was in over his head. He was a CEO and believed he could be a diplomat. Yes, Trump was dissatisfied with Tillerson's direction and though Tillerson is undoubtedly a smart guy, he got suckered, like others, by Trump and the bright lights of the position.

The problem is in negotiating Trump's tunnel vision with that of diplomacy. We don't live in the '50s and our economic well being is weaved into an international dependency that requires give and take. Good luck to the next candidate and us.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 02:13:57 pm »

I liked Tillerson, probably the most level headed person in his government.
However I'm biased, I met him personally a few years ago and he made quite an impression, very sharp and a pleasure to talk with.

Just saw Trump on television saying "I got along with Rex fine, but we had some differences of opinion about certain issues". Apparently he's trying to retract into an echo chamber (do I see a trend?) where everybody agrees with him, makes it much easier to push through his agenda. I don't see much good coming from this move.
pieter, aka pegelli

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 02:16:53 pm »

They go in threes (per day)?

The stress of the job has caused the President to acquire a slight stutter.

YOU'RE FIRE..FIRE..FIRED!

DP

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 02:52:13 pm »

Tillerson was in over his head. He was a CEO and believed he could be a diplomat.

there were some farmers serving as presidents, so ?

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 03:22:36 pm »

I'm specifically asking about Tillerson.

My conspiracy theory is that there's dirty people in the State Dept. and they (FBI, CIA, Trump) told Tillerson, who then gladly stepped aside for Pompeo. And this move is a way for the top spook to oversea not only foreign events, but those within the department which directly affects that USA government function.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:04:10 pm by Chris_Brown »
~ CB

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 03:38:22 pm »

there were some farmers serving as presidents, so ?
The presidency is an elected position, the Secretary of State is an appointed position. Since we live in a democracy, farmers can get themselves elected to whatever they want, but getting appointed as Secretary of Sate should require a specific set skills.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 03:40:54 pm »

--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 03:42:09 pm »

It seems if you want to establish stable, long-term relations with foreign entities, it would stand to reason to want a stable entrypoint into your administration.

That ship may have sailed.
--
Robert

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 04:13:02 pm »

I'm pretty much middle of the road with a slight liberal bias when it comes to caring for and helping marginalized people in society.

I also would like to see Tillerson as President just to get that old fashion Presidential tone of respect and stability back into the White House circa 1950's.

Tillerson reminds me of the typical manly poker face Texan I grew up with as a native Texan who kept folks guessing as to which way they viewed situations in order to make sound decisions that worked for the long term. But then this was the type the counterculture railed against back in the '60's & '70's.

Maybe we need a more nostalgic President now that us old hippies no longer have anything to rebel against.

I'm pretty sure Tillerson doesn't have any skeletons in the closet that would come back to bite him in the political behind along the lines of a sexual type scandal. He's stated he's an old boy scout and his word is his bond. How could that make things worse than they already are under Trump?

DP

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 05:52:19 pm »

The presidency is an elected position, the Secretary of State is an appointed position. Since we live in a democracy, farmers can get themselves elected to whatever they want, but getting appointed as Secretary of Sate should require a specific set skills.

1) we are not a democracy

2) comment was narrow - about his belief(s).. if a farmer can believe that he can be a president, nothing wrong with some CEO believing that he can be a State Sec.

texshooter

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 06:03:46 pm »

Could it be that some Democrats are more worried Trump will succeed than they are worried America will fail?

I'm feeling a song coming on...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:08:07 pm by texshooter »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 06:44:10 pm »

Could it be that some Democrats are more worried Trump will succeed than they are worried America will fail?
If the last year is any indication, they have nothing to worry about.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up