Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thom's D850 review is out  (Read 33747 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
What about showing these color differences...
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 04:21:40 am »

I'd like to see that. Some examples of the different 'colors' showing images from the D850 and D810. Maybe compared to the D750 as well. And then, as Bernard says it's reminding him, looks like 'Leica' color, some images where the d850 and a leica body/lens combo looks like the d850.

Perhaps it's a fools errand, but I just looked at several nikon examples at the dpreview site. Played with their studio scene. Color from the D850, D810, and D750 look identical to me. I'm not sure how much faith to place in their 'color' images. I trust you guys, here, more.

Can anyone show us/me examples of the color differences you're talking about, please...

short ps...looking again, the D750 reds, blues, greens look slightly darker than d850 or d810...the leica M10 samples seem someplace between the d750 and the D850...these at iso 100 and iso 200...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:28:21 am by Morris Taub »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: What about showing these color differences...
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 05:51:08 am »

Can anyone show us/me examples of the color differences you're talking about, please...

Not sure how easy that is because my point is that when I take a color image from the D850 and bring it into Photoshop or Lightroom for further development, there is (for me and in the work I do) FAR LESS to do than with the D810. I just had this brought home to my when I broke (user error) the mirror in my D850 and had to send it away for quite a time (lack of parts at the Nikon repair facility) and was forced to use the D810 for some months. Ouch. I found out quickly that the difference is (to me) very clear. Perhaps part of it is the increased pixel count of the D850, but I don't think so.

But since my finished photos, either with the D810 or D850 look similar, because I make them look "right" to me, there is not much to show. And, right now, I have little time for such tests. Perhaps others will have the time to show and comment on raw images, untouched,  from each camera. Or, you could take our word. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Re: Thom's D850 review is out
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 07:35:53 am »

Not sure how easy that is because my point is that when I take a color image from the D850 and bring it into Photoshop or Lightroom for further development, there is (for me and in the work I do) FAR LESS to do than with the D810. I just had this brought home to my when I broke (user error) the mirror in my D850 and had to send it away for quite a time (lack of parts at the Nikon repair facility) and was forced to use the D810 for some months. Ouch. I found out quickly that the difference is (to me) very clear. Perhaps part of it is the increased pixel count of the D850, but I don't think so.

But since my finished photos, either with the D810 or D850 look similar, because I make them look "right" to me, there is not much to show. And, right now, I have little time for such tests. Perhaps others will have the time to show and comment on raw images, untouched,  from each camera. Or, you could take our word. LOL.

this makes sense, and i take your word...thanks Michael...

danielc

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 04:23:06 pm »

Got out and used my d850 for the first time last night
 Very very very impressive and a surprisingly big upgrade from the d810.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 08:26:15 pm »

The only 3 Nikon bodies I currently own are the D850, D5 and D3400 (for kap), sorry I won’t be able to compare to the D810/D750.

Cheers,
Bernard

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 04:06:52 am »

The only 3 Nikon bodies I currently own are the D850, D5 and D3400 (for kap), sorry I won’t be able to compare to the D810/D750.

Cheers,
Bernard

It's ok. I just thought color is so subjective that it's hard to nail down. And these days, processing software is so good you can duplicate 'almost' anything. For color or black & white, processing images, what a great time...

Also. I rented a Leica Q from lensrentals for a week December 2017. Did a number of seascapes at Miami Beach. Base iso. I really liked the color, detail of the files. Didn't like so much how the body felt in hand, the weight, felt like a bulky dslr that way to me. And I didn't have it long enough, but the way it worked, buttons/dials, felt really awkward. Thought it would be more straightforward.

Also. Have always felt the files from my D700 were 'different' in a good way compared to the D750 files. I rented a D750 for a bit summer 2015. The d700 files up to 3200 iso always had this rich color I find I like. And pushing the files around was easy. Same for converting to black and white. Perhaps some of that has to do with the lenses used as well. Older af-d lenses. Some ai-s manual focus as well.

For weight and size I did like the D750, but it's numerous recalls for shutter problems always put me off it. It's still about 1750 euros here at the local camera shop.

Now. Intrigued by the D850, but with age and health issues waiting to see what Nikon does with mirrorless. Smaller, lighter bodies.

The last 2 to 3 years my 'main' cameras have been the ricoh gr/grll and olympus omd body and lenses...a whole other ball of wax colorwise. Surprisingly good, the GR, and I bought the additional lens so I have 28mm and 21mm covered for street and landscape work. Just more reasons why the color remarks about the nikon/leica cameras intrigue me.

thanks
m

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:50:37 am by Morris Taub »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 10:23:14 pm »

Another example of those wonderful D850 colors.

Cheers,
Bernard

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 09:09:14 am »

There is some people saying that, but nothing is confirm. Nikon is not saying the name of the provider. So, unless chipworks (techinsights now) puts the sensor under their X-Ray machines like in the case of the D5 and D500: http://techinsights.com/reports-and-subscriptions/open-market-reports/Report-Profile/?ReportKey=DEF-1609-802 , fanboys from both sides will debate the origin until the world ends.

Looks like at the end the sensor is still made by Sony: https://nikonrumors.com/2018/06/15/new-reports-indicate-that-the-nikon-d850-sensor-imx309aqj-is-made-by-sony.aspx/

sanvandur

• http://www.santiagovanegas.com
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2018, 06:48:58 am »

I feel the same way. As for resolution, I believe I make up for it with very fine APO lenses like the Zeiss Otus series and others.

I had (and sold) the Pentax K3 and K1, the Hasselblad X1D, the Fuji GFX and the Sony A7R2 and A7R3. None of them came close to the quality of the Nikon D850, when all things are considered... as an all around camera. I like the other cameras in this way or that, but using the D850 is just better, IMO. I had to send my D850 in for repair due to something I did to it (the dreaded "user error") and reverted to my D810, but was shocked at how much I missed the D850. So, I agree with you totally.

Same here. Former ex-Phase One shooter, now blown away by my D850 with Sigma Art Lenses.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:09:30 am by sanvandur »
Santiago Vanegas photography at www.santiagovanegas.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up