Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sony a7 III  (Read 13057 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
New Sony a7 III
« on: February 27, 2018, 12:05:14 pm »

I'm in Vegas and was at the announcement of the new Sony a7 III.  It certainly is a nice upgrade from the previous version but not super groundbreaking.  Rather than just post a here it as an article, I am going to shoot with the camera along with a number of content providers over the next few days at various locations and situations.  In addition, I am collaborating with another YouTuber and making a video we will share on both our sites.  When I get home I'll put together my thoughts on using the camera along with images made with it and share my thoughts on the camera and what segment of photographers this camera is aimed for.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: New Sony a7 III
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 12:11:25 pm »

Thanks for that Kevin. Seems like a very good upgrade for A7 series, borrowing from the A7R and A9 series.

Canon used to do this in the past, trickling down features from their pro cameras to their lower-tier cameras.

DP

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 12:46:40 pm »

Canon used to do this in the past, trickling down features from their pro cameras to their lower-tier cameras.

it is also a matter of saving on cost by reusing the parts as much as possible...

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 02:12:57 pm »

Unfortunate, it seems flare is allowing sensor structure or some other effect to become visible:

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/6769434587/sony-a7-iii-sample-photos/7523984324

Vertical lines showing on the models face:

https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS4000x6000~sample_galleries/6769434587/7523984324.jpg

Reminds me of the A9 issues...

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:22:14 pm »

It sounds that it's offering quite a lot for the money. The better battery + grip and joystick + better focus are quite appealing. They also added 2 SD cards. Image quality I expect to be a wash with D750.

For somebody who doesn't need the better focus/speed of A9 or the extra resolution of A7Riii it is a goldilock option. It definitely gives a run for the money to the Nikon D750 or the APS-C/m43 "pro" cameras.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 02:25:11 pm »

Unfortunate, it seems flare is allowing sensor structure or some other effect to become visible:

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/6769434587/sony-a7-iii-sample-photos/7523984324

Vertical lines showing on the models face:

https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS4000x6000~sample_galleries/6769434587/7523984324.jpg

Reminds me of the A9 issues...

Just as I sounded positive in my first reply  ;D

I wonder if this is similar to something that I occasionally experience with the X-T2 when shooting into a light source and I get a purple flare with a gridlock pattern. Quite annoying and difficult to get rid of but fortunately not very common.

I guess that's what A7iv will get rid off.

DP

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 02:52:11 pm »

Nikon D750 or the APS-C/m43 "pro" cameras.

along with Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-H1

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 03:07:20 pm »

As far as DP review sample images.  I shot the same set up and my files look good.  It was some very odd contrast lighting in the studio with color gels on some lights.  We are shooting there again this afternoon as well as elsewhere today and tomorrow.  When I get back I'll include a lot of sample files in my article.  It's too bad we are only working with JPEGS at this point.  I spoke to Phase One and they will be working on RAW conversion as soon as they get a camera which is supposed to be this week.  This is a new sensor so you can't just try to fool C1 with a metadata change. There is supposed to be anti-flicker in the camera so that should avoid some issues too.  Let's see how my shoot today goes. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 03:32:53 pm »

As far as DP review sample images.  I shot the same set up and my files look good.  It was some very odd contrast lighting in the studio with color gels on some lights.  We are shooting there again this afternoon as well as elsewhere today and tomorrow.  When I get back I'll include a lot of sample files in my article.  It's too bad we are only working with JPEGS at this point.  I spoke to Phase One and they will be working on RAW conversion as soon as they get a camera which is supposed to be this week.  This is a new sensor so you can't just try to fool C1 with a metadata change. There is supposed to be anti-flicker in the camera so that should avoid some issues too.  Let's see how my shoot today goes.

One theory on that site by a poster relates to lenses like the Sony 55/1.8 and 35/1.8, having reflective rear elements...

If you have any of those lenses handy may be worth a try...

I recall some testers of the A9 noted some LED lights can be sensor unfriendly...

hogloff

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 03:48:56 pm »

I'm in Vegas and was at the announcement of the new Sony a7 III.  It certainly is a nice upgrade from the previous version but not super groundbreaking.  Rather than just post a here it as an article, I am going to shoot with the camera along with a number of content providers over the next few days at various locations and situations.  In addition, I am collaborating with another YouTuber and making a video we will share on both our sites.  When I get home I'll put together my thoughts on using the camera along with images made with it and share my thoughts on the camera and what segment of photographers this camera is aimed for.

Nothing ground shattering and yet we are all going goo goo over the new Fuji. I would think this A73 stacks up very well against the Fuji, surpassing it in many areas especially in eye AF tracking.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 04:10:18 pm »

along with Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-H1

Reading is not your strength when you have something to prove, is it?

It definitely gives a run for the money to the Nikon D750 or the APS-C/m43 "pro" cameras.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 04:11:41 pm »

I just downloaded a number of images shot last night.  I gave the Eye AF a workout.  Totally addicted and totally amazing.  One you push the Eye AF button the square hits the eye and stays there even as the subject move and in the images, the eye is tack sharp.  Another reason why this camera will appeal to wedding and portrait photographers.  I'm shooting this afternoon with the 24-70 G-Master and tomorrow will be using the 100-400mm G-master for the things we are shooting.  I think Sony will sell a lot of these cameras. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 04:22:40 pm »

Nothing ground shattering and yet we are all going goo goo over the new Fuji. I would think this A73 stacks up very well against the Fuji, surpassing it in many areas especially in eye AF tracking.

If anything I would call Kevin more a Sony fanboy than Fuji, I think these days he mostly shoots with Sony.

I do agree that for somebody starting fresh the A7iii sounds more compelling than X-H1. I do think however that the difference will be made in lenses/ ecosystem. On a side note I find funny that the X-H1 seems to have better video specs, this coming from somebody who rarely uses video though. One place where Fuji screwed up with the X-H1 is when they kept the same battery size despite increasing the grip.

Obviously if those sensor artifacts are common then it's a different story. All mirrorless seem to have some similar issues (despite claims of them being so much better than DSLRs) but at least on my Fuji is not that common. I did see it during my recent trip to Iceland more than once though, ruined a couple of shots. I don't recall seeing it on my E-M5ii but I use it less often.

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 07:36:34 pm »

If I'm not mistaken the Sony sensor artifacts in question have something to do with the PDAF focus points. Doesn't the A9 have this same issue?

-Dave-

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 02:25:24 am »

If I'm not mistaken the Sony sensor artifacts in question have something to do with the PDAF focus points. Doesn't the A9 have this same issue?

-Dave-

It is the same issue... it is the 6XX PDAF structure than A9... being “just” 24 megapixels it gets more notice... the A7r III being 42 and just 4XX PDAF sensors over the sensor it get unnoiticed...

It was already commented with the A9... not that stopped people from buying it...

http://dgpfotografia.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 04:16:54 am »

The a7III seems interesting.

Fitted with a compact 85mm f1.8 AF it may be the perfect "compact camera" when I don't need to bring the D850.

Cheers,
Bernard

Manoli

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 04:52:30 am »

Fitted with a compact 85mm f1.8 AF it may be the perfect "compact camera" when I don't need to bring the D850.

Fine, but you do realise that it'll have 'SONY' emblazoned on the pentaprism ? [/tease]

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 08:04:55 am »

Fine, but you do realise that it'll have 'SONY' emblazoned on the pentaprism ? [/tease]

I have been a Sony customer for many years with an RX100, now RX100 MkV and a5100. ;)

I have kept from investing into the a7 line till date for 2 main reasons:
- I wanted to wait for Nikon and Canon serious entries into mirrorless. There is no urgency for me as I am fully satisfied by my existing line up of cameras,
- I was waiting for a high res a9r

But the a7III is a cheap entry so why not. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Telecaster

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 04:40:17 pm »

It is the same issue... it is the 6XX PDAF structure than A9... being “just” 24 megapixels it gets more notice... the A7r III being 42 and just 4XX PDAF sensors over the sensor it get unnoiticed...

Reading up a bit on this earlier today, there's some conjecture that what's being seen with the A7iii is due to an electronic shutter/light source interaction. A different version of the banding issue sometimes seen with flourescent lighting.

-Dave-

armand

• Photos
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 05:02:34 pm »

This a small sample of what I rarely get with Fuji, for some reason it looks better now than first time I saw it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up