Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sony a7 III  (Read 13045 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: New Sony a7 III
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 05:27:10 pm »

Here is another one at 200% to be more visible. Looking through my stuff I think you can expect it whenever you have the sun in shot and get a purple flare although it might be easily visible upon a casual review.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 06:35:37 pm »

Reading up a bit on this earlier today, there's some conjecture that what's being seen with the A7iii is due to an electronic shutter/light source interaction. A different version of the banding issue sometimes seen with flourescent lighting.

-Dave-

If my memory does not fail me. It should be easy to check out. If DPReview releases the RAW of the image (probably under embargo by Sony), it could be possible to open the image in RAW Digger (when it supports the Sony A7 III) and check if this only happens in the red channel (I think it was the red channel the affected one in the A9), that will imply the PDAF.

Of course, banding due to electronic shutter and light source it is also high probable possibility.

Regards,

David

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 03:54:11 pm »

Reading up a bit on this earlier today, there's some conjecture that what's being seen with the A7iii is due to an electronic shutter/light source interaction. A different version of the banding issue sometimes seen with flourescent lighting.

What’s funny is that I am pretty sure that Canon and Nikon would probably not put on the market cameras with such minor (“minor” added to clarify my intent) image quality issues.

Just like Japanese phone manufacturers didn’t do touch screen phones before the iPhone out of concerns for dirty finger prints remaining visible.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:30:31 pm by BernardLanguillier »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 04:07:02 pm »

What’s funny is that I am pretty sure that Canon and Nikon would probably not put on the market cameras with such image quality issues.

Just like Japanese phone manufacturers didn’t do touch screen phones before the iPhone out of concerns for dirty finger prints remaining visible.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

Which Japanese phone manufacturer are you talking about?

Telecaster

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 04:10:16 pm »

What’s funny is that I am pretty sure that Canon and Nikon would probably not put on the market cameras with such image quality issues.

Stodgy does as stodgy is.  ;D

-Dave-

scooby70

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 07:06:12 pm »

Cheers,
Bernard

No no no. Canikon would never bring a product to market with black spots, ghosting or oil on the sensor. Perish the thought.

viewfinder

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 03:11:18 am »

What IS "funny" is that all across the web people are raving about A7iii and how wonderful are it's images but reading here one would think it highly flawed and not even worth considering for purchase......

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 04:57:31 am »

What IS "funny" is that all across the web people are raving about A7iii and how wonderful are it's images but reading here one would think it highly flawed and not even worth considering for purchase......

Well, here in Lula, Canon has long disappeared from view, because it is a boring and non-innovative company:) In spite of this, Canon has launched in 2017 what are probably some of the most innovative lenses recently, the Macro - TSE (50mm and 135mm).

Around here there are still some Nikon adamant survivors, that seem to be increasingly struggling to find disadvantages in recent MILC systems. First, there was the lack of lenses; then, slow AF and poor VF. As these have gone away, now they cling to these artefacts that seem to affect not many photogs...

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 07:06:46 am »

Well, here in Lula, Canon has long disappeared from view, because it is a boring and non-innovative company:) In spite of this, Canon has launched in 2017 what are probably some of the most innovative lenses recently, the Macro - TSE (50mm and 135mm).

Around here there are still some Nikon adamant survivors, that seem to be increasingly struggling to find disadvantages in recent MILC systems. First, there was the lack of lenses; then, slow AF and poor VF. As these have gone away, now they cling to these artefacts that seem to affect not many photogs...
+1

I think camera and lens selection should never be a popularity contest but selecting the right tool for the job. Or the right tool which is best for your major style and usable for other areas and then making the best of it there. For me that's part of the the fun of photography. Yes, I like to use a tool I feel comfortable with and gives me pleasure using it but for me that's secundary. Once I determined this for myself it was also easy to stop the rat race (and lusting) for the latest/greatest/best camera after every announcement.
pieter, aka pegelli

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 07:30:29 am »

I have just returned from using this camera for several days.  The issue mentioned about the lens flare issue was started in DPI Review without checking with the source.  Based on what I was told by the source a correction about this was amended to the original article.  I shot a number of very backlit images that I will share in my report as well as a number of other images.  This is an incredible camera for $2000 USD.  It's like an a9 that didn't go to the gym.  Sony didn't sacrifice anything to make an entry-level camera that performs.  You'd be hard-pressed to find something that is as capable.  Also, it's a pretty big statement that Sigma and other see a huge future in Sony camera especially with their announcements of a number of lenses for the E-mount.  Game on!
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2018, 08:14:00 am »

No no no. Canikon would never bring a product to market with black spots, ghosting or oil on the sensor. Perish the thought.

Sigh...

Were Japanese phone makers right not to release an iPhone before Apple did? No.

Were Nikon and Canon right not to release a FF mirrorless like Sony did? No.

So, since it seems like I have to spell it out real slow... I find these issues of secondary importance and that Sony was right to prioritize innovation and great on sensor AF over minor image quality issues.

Sigh...

Cheers,
Bernard

pegelli

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2018, 08:41:04 am »

Sigh...
Sigh...
Maybe we should ask if they can add a "tongue in cheek" emoticon to LuLa ;)

pieter, aka pegelli

HonorableSensor

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 06:30:25 pm »

Just kind of curious - aside from the computer gimmickry, how is 24MP from the A7mk3 going to out-resolve or otherwise be a better landscape/nature camera, than the same-priced Pentax K1-II with 36MP, which is better weather-sealed, with AstroTracer for night shots, PixeShift for enhanced resolution, etc?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:47:33 am by HonorableSensor »

pegelli

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2018, 02:48:16 am »

Just kind of curious - aside from the computer gimmickry, how is 24MP from the A7r3 going to out-resolve or otherwise be a better landscape/nature camera, than the same-priced Pentax K1-II with 36MP, which is better weather-sealed, with AstroTracer for night shots, PixeShift for enhanced resolution, etc?
The A7r3 has 42 MP. This thread is about the A7 3 (without the r) and I don't think it will outresolve the K1 or K1-2. However for me the advantage of the A7iii would be the very short registration distance and thereby opening opportunities to mount about every lens you can imagine. It's also smaller and lighter. Horses for courses.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:52:09 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

HonorableSensor

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2018, 03:52:50 am »

The A7r3 has 42 MP. This thread is about the A7 3 (without the r) and I don't think it will outresolve the K1 or K1-2. However for me the advantage of the A7iii would be the very short registration distance and thereby opening opportunities to mount about every lens you can imagine. It's also smaller and lighter. Horses for courses.

I've fixed my typo, thanks for pointing that out. 

And certainly weight and size is a consideration - the K1 weighs almost exactly 1kg while the Sony weighs about 650g.

viewfinder

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2018, 04:02:24 am »

Also, the first model K1 was fundamentally flawed by lack of proper software.   I was keen to buy one but discovered that one needed to spend another £200 for a decent version of Silkypix to explore the pixel shift faciity.....   I would be surprised if th elatest model is better supplied with software as Pentax did it's usual strategy of simply ignoring the customers.

hogloff

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2018, 09:19:12 am »

Just kind of curious - aside from the computer gimmickry, how is 24MP from the A7mk3 going to out-resolve or otherwise be a better landscape/nature camera, than the same-priced Pentax K1-II with 36MP, which is better weather-sealed, with AstroTracer for night shots, PixeShift for enhanced resolution, etc?

Camera looks great...but lens lineup sucks. Takes both to create a great image.

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2018, 09:36:47 am »

With regard to DPR amending their samples article. They have removed Fuji and now say all cameras that use the on sensor AF similar to Sony. IE not limiting this to a SONY and FUJI only issue...

They go on to say, in the comments after the update, that the reason they believe Canon's split pixel system is unaffected is due to the binning back to single pixel output. They theorise that non Canon systems are affected by flare from one angle hitting the on sensor AF causing the unbalanced result in these extremes...

As for the suggestion the new Sony is suitable for wedding photography, I leave you with this image thought:

;)

Weddings are a once in a life time event, no one should be suggesting this camera when so many people are independently reporting similar issues on similar camera systems...

Not letting LEDs off, I would suggest any events where photography is important should research and make a list of suitable lighting to use....

scooby70

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2018, 06:00:13 pm »

Sigh...

Were Japanese phone makers right not to release an iPhone before Apple did? No.

Were Nikon and Canon right not to release a FF mirrorless like Sony did? No.

So, since it seems like I have to spell it out real slow... I find these issues of secondary importance and that Sony was right to prioritize innovation and great on sensor AF over minor image quality issues.

Sigh...

Cheers,
Bernard

A deep sigh doesn't really cut it for me so I'll spell it out in words that should leave absolutely no doubt how I feel.

As you're a regular hear and I'm not I'll probably get it in the neck but your "deep sigh" and attitude is just too far for me.

Bernard, sometimes you come off as a ridiculous fan boy and I'm just tired of your Nikon invented everything and can do no wrong stance.

I do wish you could just grow up, drop the whole stupid fan boy stuff and judge kit on merit.

For Gawd sake.

Just grow up will you.

>:(

bcooter

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2018, 07:00:16 pm »

+1

I think camera and lens selection should never be a popularity contest but selecting the right tool for the job. Or the right tool which is best for your major style ....snip

I don’t read a lot of these new camera discussions/introductions, mainly because I think we all know in the electronic world with new products we are all unsupervised beta testers.

I guess that’s why in a two month period we see new firmware updates and have more user comments.

Even on cameras that are the same model/brand/date, there is a difference.  I think I’ve owned about 2  of every 1d, 1ds, 1dx series of Canons from the start and many times the same model will have different tendencies in iso and even white balance settings.
Usually slight, but still different.

Now, I am pretty much brand agnostic and own a lot of different brands for different reasons and though I applaud Sony for pushing the market upstream in the 4 Sony’s I’ve used and owned, I’ve never had the best luck with them. (not a knock on Sony, just my experience).

One thing I find interesting is nearly all of these discussions turn into model/brand comparisons.  I guess I’m doing the same thing because even though prior to buying a a7s mark II, I looked at sample files and they were clean to very high iso.

Maybe it’s my version, but I can’t see it and even at 800 iso it gets ragged, in fact just a quick street test in London using practical lights at night, I could see very little if any difference between the Sony and the little 4/3 olympus em-5 mark I at 800 iso set to stills.   That surprised me given the difference in sensor dimensions.

What does surprise me is the limitations makers put upon themselves.  Obviously they are targeting a market and want to protect their up market products, but some things are perplexing and in Canon’s case they seem to artificially limit their cameras though their pricing is high next to the competition.    I don’t expect them to sell an Arri quality camera with Leica level lenses for a few thousand, but just averaging it Canon is about 20 to 30% higher than Sony and some other brands.

Everyone talks about mirrorless, especially on this forum, mostly Sony, but in a way nearly all cameras function as mirrorless when using live-view for stills and motion.

Canon’s 1dxII to their d80 in motion will autofocus like crazy and shoots beautiful skin tones even with leds which sometimes cast with different cameras.  Why they don’t offer a clip on evf like olympus offers, would give these cameras combination optical viewfinder and /mirrorless workability and not being an engineer it doesn’t seem to be that difficult. 

I think there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes between manufacturers than we know.  Nikon is a good example.  They have no line of expensive cameras - combo still/motion, or video cameras to protect and could rock it out with a camera that offered dual pixel autofocus, real xlr inputs, etc.    It seems like Nikon gets the previous round of sensors about the time Sony announces new ones, but that’s just a guess, though I wonder what the Nikon/Sony contract is.

IMO

BC
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up