Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sony a7 III  (Read 13046 times)

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Re: New Sony a7 III
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2018, 04:21:23 am »

What IS "funny" is that all across the web people are raving about A7iii and how wonderful are it's images but reading here one would think it highly flawed and not even worth considering for purchase...

I had the same feeling hehe. A truly disruptive camera (even for other Sony models), it has all most users would want (more Mpx could be the only complaint for some applications): 15 stops of DR, best ISO, FF HDR 4K w/o pixel binning, dual card slot, A9 AF system, joystick and touchscreen focusing aids, 700 shots autonomy, 5 stops IBIS at $1999, and this thread seems to be about a flawed model like the Canon 6D II or the Nikon D600.

The 2300EUR price in Europe makes me think this time Sony wanted to give an extra push to the camera in the USA market. Taxes in Europe usually mean price in $ = price in EUR.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:29:27 am by Guillermo Luijk »

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2018, 05:13:46 am »

The 2300EUR price in Europe makes me think this time Sony wanted to give an extra push to the camera in the USA market. Taxes in Europe usually mean price in $ = price in EUR.

That it is the usual price difference between USA and Europe for cameras and lenses of Sony... unfortunately... Fuji follows the one to one rule you mention...

http://dgpfotografia.com

Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2018, 06:56:36 am »

That it is the usual price difference between USA and Europe for cameras and lenses of Sony.
Amazing, you are right! there seems to be a very precise rule that says:

Price in EUR = Price in $ + 300

USA ($) BHPhoto - Europe (EUR) Fotoboom - Delta:

A7 III: 1999 - 2300 - 301,00
A7R III: 3198 - 3499,99 - 301,99
A9: 4498 - 4799,88 - 301,88

According to that particular rule a free camera in the USA should cost 300EUR in Europe.

Regards

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2018, 07:16:55 am »

According to that particular rule a free camera in the USA should cost 300EUR in Europe.

Regards

Don't go to look at the lenses, there the differences range between 100 euros to 500 euros (I just did a quick look between https://www.sony.es/electronics/objetivos/t/objetivos-camaras and https://www.sony.com/electronics/lenses/t/camera-lenses ), so maybe in some cases it is even more extreme...

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2018, 07:53:57 am »

Regards

Your "very precise" rule doesn't apply to the A7ii

1589 - 1349 - -249

So it's about a 550 deviation from the rule  ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2018, 08:16:23 am »

Your "very precise" rule doesn't apply to the A7ii

1589 - 1349 - -249

So it's about a 550 deviation from the rule  ;)
In fact the deviation is more than that:

A7 II: 1598 - 1241,18 - -356,82

Let's consider the A7 II an uncomfortable outlier, so the rule becomes precise again ;)

Now talking seriously, the A7 II price has lowered a lot in this area since last Black Friday, when Amazon completely devaluated it. Some users are complaining about that. Some others are getting a cheap FF.

Regards

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2018, 09:21:44 am »

...One thing I find interesting is nearly all of these discussions turn into model/brand comparisons.  I guess I’m doing the same thing because even though prior to buying a a7s mark II, I looked at sample files and they were clean to very high iso.

Maybe it’s my version, but I can’t see it and even at 800 iso it gets ragged, in fact just a quick street test in London using practical lights at night, I could see very little if any difference between the Sony and the little 4/3 olympus em-5 mark I at 800 iso set to stills.   That surprised me given the difference in sensor dimensions.

When strapped into a test stand the SONY performs. In real life a different story...

Now where have we heard that before (emissions tests)...  :P

What does surprise me is the limitations makers put upon themselves.  Obviously they are targeting a market and want to protect their up market products, but some things are perplexing and in Canon’s case they seem to artificially limit their cameras though their pricing is high next to the competition.    I don’t expect them to sell an Arri quality camera with Leica level lenses for a few thousand, but just averaging it Canon is about 20 to 30% higher than Sony and some other brands.

I agree, certain brands and photo gear in particular appears to have high margins....

I think there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes between manufacturers than we know.  Nikon is a good example.  They have no line of expensive cameras - combo still/motion, or video cameras to protect and could rock it out with a camera that offered dual pixel autofocus, real xlr inputs, etc.    It seems like Nikon gets the previous round of sensors about the time Sony announces new ones, but that’s just a guess, though I wonder what the Nikon/Sony contract is.

Theory on the D850 is that Nikon are using a towerjazz panasonic sensor made in Japan...

My understanding regards SONY is the old sensors like in the D810 can be used because they are a pure sensor. The rumor mill suggests SONY do not sell their new stacked sensors where SONY developed the back end of that sensor stack. If SONY are just trying to delay sale of the full stack to the likes of Nikon to get some market advantage then that would explain why Nikon may have gone to towerjazz panasonic....

Nikon are also working on quad split pixels for AF and layer colour masks for better colour in patents, so they could easily match Canon on sensor AF and better SONY on colour and possibly DR...

Like all technology, until made available and fully tested in the field we will have to wait and see...  :)

Telecaster

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2018, 04:41:12 pm »

Just thought I'd mention that I got a kick out of Kevin's A7iii-themed appearance on Ted Forbes' YouTube channel.  :)  It's the most recent The Art Of Photography installment as of yesterday (March 3rd).

https://youtu.be/JVnMQAHjbLg

-Dave-

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2018, 05:55:31 pm »

A deep sigh doesn't really cut it for me so I'll spell it out in words that should leave absolutely no doubt how I feel.

As you're a regular hear and I'm not I'll probably get it in the neck but your "deep sigh" and attitude is just too far for me.

Bernard, sometimes you come off as a ridiculous fan boy and I'm just tired of your Nikon invented everything and can do no wrong stance.

I do wish you could just grow up, drop the whole stupid fan boy stuff and judge kit on merit.

Just grow up will you.

Apologies for the sigh. I am a bit tired of being accused by some posters of being a Nikon fanboy regardless of what I write.

As far as your accusations go, how do you factor in the fact that I am precisely praising Sony for their innovation over Nikon and Canon and making fun of those criticizing Sony for these minor image quality issues?

Not to mention my intention to buy an a7III.

I have very consistently praised Sony, I am a happy Sony customer and am deeply impressed by what they have been doing and by the value their cameras deliver (starting by eye AF and silent shooting). On the other hand I have been consistently criticizing Nikon for their brain dead behaviour in terms of mirrorless strategy.

Canon has some great lenses and a good video solution. A very usable system, but no value for me as a still photographer invested in Nikon lenses. I am only stating the obvious.

Cheers,
Bernard

p.s.: i have reported your post to LL, I don’t appreciate your agressivity
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:37:42 pm by BernardLanguillier »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2018, 06:02:41 pm »

I just downloaded a number of images shot last night.  I gave the Eye AF a workout.  Totally addicted and totally amazing.  One you push the Eye AF button the square hits the eye and stays there even as the subject move and in the images, the eye is tack sharp.

Eye AF works amazingly in the RX10 IV as well. Sony has done a wonderful job with it's tech.

Peter

zlatko-b

• http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2018, 11:11:59 pm »

I haven't tried this new Sony, but based on past experience with Sony and Fuji ... I'm not sure I see a big benefit from Eye-AF.  It may be nice if I'm photographing one person, though I can focus on one person pretty easily with any camera.  But what if I am photographing 2 or more people?  How does it know which person I want to focus on?  It doesn't.  So when it chooses the wrong person, I have to do extra work to get the AF off the person it chose and onto the person I wanted to focus on in the first place.  So the occasional convenience of Eye-AF sets me up for regular inconvenience from Eye-AF.  Right or wrong?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2018, 12:50:26 am »

The camera has a number of focus zones and ways of selecting focusing zones. My understanding and experience with face detection is it will give attention to a face detected in a zone you have defined. You want to focus on the face on the left then set zone focus to that area and a face in that area will have more importance than a face outside it. I believe eye detect works in a similar fashion

I don’t use eye detect. It’s not useful for my photography so I haven’t personally used it on a shoot but that is my understanding. Some clarity from someone who actually has experience with this would be great.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2018, 12:52:48 am »

I believe eye AF can be activated with one push on a button, so you can use it when applicable only.

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2018, 01:56:18 am »

Yes exactly Bernard. I have programmed a button on my MKii in anticipation of using it. It seems to work quite well and I am told is much improved on the MKiii. Unfortunately I have been too busy with work to spend much time on and it and my current project has no need of it. I can see it could be very useful in the future. Perhaps I should upgrade to the MKiii
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2018, 01:57:13 am »

what if I am photographing 2 or more people?  How does it know which person I want to focus on?  It doesn't.

You can prioritize focus areas OR you can use "Face Registration" and set priorities (by face, smile,...):

https://youtu.be/mdOvvvRRXh0

Regards

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2018, 02:03:14 am »

I haven't tried this new Sony, but based on past experience with Sony and Fuji ... I'm not sure I see a big benefit from Eye-AF.  It may be nice if I'm photographing one person, though I can focus on one person pretty easily with any camera.  But what if I am photographing 2 or more people?  How does it know which person I want to focus on?  It doesn't.  So when it chooses the wrong person, I have to do extra work to get the AF off the person it chose and onto the person I wanted to focus on in the first place.  So the occasional convenience of Eye-AF sets me up for regular inconvenience from Eye-AF.  Right or wrong?

In this video: https://youtu.be/dsLFT4ql0Pg of DPReview you can see how it works, the user selects an area where a face is and the camera sticks to a eye in that face... whatever other face is on the screen or movement of the camera. Also you see how easy is to change from face to face.

Once the eye is selected you don’t have to do focus and recompose or moving the af point and just focus on your composition while people moves.

http://dgpfotografia.com

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2018, 09:07:53 pm »

As far as EyeAF goes.  You'll be amazed the first time you use and then you'll be looking for more faces to shoot because it just so cool and accurate. I tried to show some of those images in my review in the gallery.  The default set up is to push to focus (using the back AF button or shutter button) then press the center button on the multi-function dial and what happens is you get a box around a face that is detected then the EYEAF kicks in to a small square on the eye and then it stays locked on.  If it loses the eye it is pretty fast at recovering.  You'll get addicted to it once you use it.  I can't tell you how impressed I am at the AF in the A7III and the a9.  I have done some wildlife images tracking a running Arctic Fox from the top of a large hill down to the eater and the AF didn't miss a beat.  I have done EYEAF at 10fps and each and every eye was sharp even with the lens fairly wide open.

I suggest you rent or try these cameras out at a store.  This one feature could be what seals the deal.  Oh, you'll have a lot of fun shooting too.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rado

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2018, 08:05:05 am »

I'd appreciate some info on using the a7.3 in studio shooting with strobes at F8-11. The AF on my a7.2 really struggles in that scenario and I stick with my Canons. Is the a7.3 (vastly) improved there?

shalimarphoto

• Shalimar B Photography - Family, Baby & Child Photography
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2018, 02:52:04 pm »

You can prioritize focus areas OR you can use "Face Registration" and set priorities (by face, smile,...):

https://youtu.be/mdOvvvRRXh0

Regards

Thanks for posting this! I'm considering purchasing a Sony and actually rented one last weekend - I wish I'd seen this video earlier. Very helpful!

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2018, 11:39:21 pm »

Apologies for the sigh. I am a bit tired of being accused by some posters of being a Nikon fanboy regardless of what I write.

As far as your accusations go, how do you factor in the fact that I am precisely praising Sony for their innovation over Nikon and Canon and making fun of those criticizing Sony for these minor image quality issues?

Not to mention my intention to buy an a7III.

I have very consistently praised Sony, I am a happy Sony customer and am deeply impressed by what they have been doing and by the value their cameras deliver (starting by eye AF and silent shooting). On the other hand I have been consistently criticizing Nikon for their brain dead behaviour in terms of mirrorless strategy.

Canon has some great lenses and a good video solution. A very usable system, but no value for me as a still photographer invested in Nikon lenses. I am only stating the obvious.

Cheers,
Bernard

p.s.: i have reported your post to LL, I don’t appreciate your agressivity

As a whole I think Bernard has been well balanced in his comments and actually shows a deep insight in the merits of various systems.

Obviously all of us who are invested in a system did so with some forethought in the first place and may be inclined to defend our choices at least to a degree.

Maybe Bernard and me will meet in the middle; I abandoned Canon over their sensors to embrace Sony, and perhaps Bernard will begin to also embrace Sony?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:42:52 pm by D White »
Dr D White DDS BSc
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up