Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX10IV user impressions?  (Read 16193 times)

NancyP

Sony RX10IV user impressions?
« on: February 19, 2018, 11:35:23 am »

I am considering getting this Sony RX10IV 1" bridge camera, f/ 2.4 to 4, equiv. 25 to 600 (!) mm, for a travel / casual camera, also to fiddle with the ultra-high frame rate video (hummingbirds? insects?). I am going to Belize on a family vacation, the all-in-one and somewhat weatherized nature is appealing, and I hope to be able to photo some birds and wildlife while there.

Any experience with this camera?

Also, Sony RAW files - is there any down-side to converting them to DNG for use in my perpetual license LR6?

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Sony RX10IV user impressions?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:50:21 am »

Hi Nancy,

I have it just over a week now and I'm very impressed with it's abilities. The 24-600mm lens is great, and very hand holdable at 600mm.

I also use DNG conversion and works well for my needs.

Best,
Peter

I too bought for an upcoming trip...same reasons.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 12:09:32 pm »

I did an early preview on this camera https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-rx10-iv-early-hands-preview/

I am finishing up a review on this camera in the next few weeks.  I process images using C1 and the images are really nice.  The camera feels well built and as an all in one camera sits at the top of the heap.   Fast frame rate and good AF makes it a great camera for those times when you don't need a camera with all the lenses and weight.  Image quality is nice.  Seems going to DNG is making a lot of work.  Capture One comes with the camera and let's you use RAW files.  I would strongly suggest you consider upgrading LR to use the RAW files in it.

Just saying.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 12:13:10 pm »

I did an early preview on this camera https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-rx10-iv-early-hands-preview/

Hopefully Chris will participate in this review.  It looks like it would make a heck of a movie camera.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:18:42 pm »

Hopefully Chris will participate in this review.  It looks like it would make a heck of a movie camera.

I Shot a couple of days with the Sony for a short video... I like it's ability here as well.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:16:13 pm by petermfiore »

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 12:40:49 pm »

It sounds like this would be a good time to try out Capture One as well.

John Camp

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 03:35:54 pm »

I have no experience with the Sony, but understand it is quite capable, and only comment because I travel a lot. You can now buy a Panasonic GX8 for around $800 and for the extra $900 that the Sony would cost, you could add a selection of lenses. The Panasonic has a larger sensor (m4/3) and is weather-sealed, but the important thing is non-technical -- it packs flat. I've always found the long-lens all-in-one cameras to be awkward to travel with. They don't fit well in packs, because they're thick in all three dimensions. With an m4/3 you can take the camera apart and the thickest thing you'd be packing are the lenses. I happen to have what I think is the fattest m4/3 lens sitting on my desk, with a micrometer, and it appears the Lumix G Vario f4 7-14 (14-28 equiv) is 2.9 inches fat at the fattest point (the lens cap.) I also have the Lumix G constant f2.8 35-100 (70-200 equiv) sitting here, and at the fattest point it is 2.6 inches thick. The m4/3 cameras also have a half-dozen handy pancake lenses. The GX8 is (was) at the high end of the Panasonic line, and there are very capable and smaller and cheaper m4/3 cameras. Just sayin'.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:01:42 pm »

I haven't tried the RX10IV, since I'm so happy with my RX10III, which also has the 24-600 lens, very sharp hand-held at all focal lengths.

I got my RX10I initially for a trip to France a few years ago when I didn't want to be bothered with my Canon 5DII and several lenses. I found the Sony so convenient, and packable, that soon after the trip I sold all my Canon gear, and I haven't missed it at all.

Most features of the I and the III have been completely satisfactory to me. Here are the only three very minor quibbles I can think of concerning my present Sony:
1.   The EVF is not as absolutely clear as a good OVF, but an OVF would require the added weight of a prism, which would be a bigger gripe.
2.   There have been a couple of times (maybe 3 or 4) in the last three years when I would have liked to have had a more extreme wide angle. But not enough to want to have to deal with lens changes and frequent sensor cleaning.
3.   The menu system can be a bit confusing. So what!

My response was somewhat prompted by John Camp's comment that "you could add a selection of lenses" for the GX8. My reaction to that was visceral. No way do I want to go back to carrying "a selection of lenses." But that's just my feeling.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 07:02:46 pm »

I see the majority of people who got this camera really like it. What I'm trying to find out is if this is self fulfilling profecy or the camera is really that good.
I have the first generation RX100 and the Panasonic FZ1000 with a similar sensor. They are good and punch above their weight but after I tasted the fruit of larger sensor I couldn't live just with those. For travel light though they have advantages. Both need a sharper lens so maybe that's the secret Sony sauce here.

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 11:07:20 am »

How are the EVF, grip, and controls on the RX10 IV? If a camera isn't pleasing to the hand and eye, it doesn't get used as much.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 11:10:29 am »

How are the EVF, grip, and controls on the RX10 IV? If a camera isn't pleasing to the hand and eye, it doesn't get used as much.

That's why I sold my RX100.  Too small buttons and too complex menus.  Lovely images, impossible to use.

NancyP

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 12:33:15 pm »

Thanks!

armand

• Photos
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 01:28:36 pm »

For smaller and compact I wonder how good the new lens is in this one: https://www.adorama.com/ipcdmczs200b.html  Slow for sure but at least sharper than the prior version? Or here: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs200-tz200

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 02:12:24 pm »

I must say, a hand hold-able 600mm (equivalent) relatively fast, sharp lens is a very tempting aspect.  Something never before available.

NancyP

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 04:58:23 pm »

Thanks, armand. That looks like a good "budget" pick. That being said, I need to get the camera in hand soon so I know how to use it before I go on vacation, and the anticipated release date gives me about a week to learn, assuming I pre-ordered and got it shipped day of release (as if....).
So my choices are:
All-in-one Sony RX10IV, as travel camera and as the "throw-it-in-the-backpack / trunk of car, just in case" casual camera

or multi-lens kit from existing Canon camera and lens stock:
Eg: Canon 7D2 and 400 f/5.6L plus Canon 6D and 125 mm macro and (40mm f/2.8 pancake lens or 35mm f/1.4 Sigma) plus little flash and home-made diffuser.

In a way, this is "How much putzing with cameras is acceptable on a family vacation?".

Peter McLennan

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 05:14:14 pm »

In a way, this is "How much putzing with cameras is acceptable on a family vacation?".

Very little, in my experience.  No matter how much they later enjoy the images. :)

NancyP

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 10:25:53 am »

Re: limited amount of camera-fiddling on family vacation:
Hence the flock of binoculars I bought or am bringing for the 5 of us.  ;)  Everyone gets a close up view of monkey, butterfly, parrot, whatever.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 10:46:35 pm »

3.   The menu system can be a bit confusing. So what!
-Eric
I highly recommend Kevin's recent video on using the Sony A7xx menu.  Much of it also relates to the RX10xxx cameras. The RX10 (1st version) is my current go-to camera (love the 24-200 f2.8 zeiss vario-sonnar!), and the video was (is), I refer to it frequently, very, very helpful.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 10:49:53 pm »

On the first version the ergonomics are quite excellent.  Everything falls to hand.  My only complaint is that the aperture click on/off switch won't hold its position very well.

HonorableSensor

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 09:24:29 am »

I have the RX10 III and use Capture One to process the RAWs. I paid the $50 upgrade fee to get the full-blown C1, which you might not need; the "C1 Express for Sony" is a free download.

In comparing the RAW processing of C1 with other RAW processors I found that C1 wasn't fooled into producing false colors and overall, it just works great. I have produced some beautiful 13x19s from this setup already.

The IV is supposed to fix the slowness/hunting at long focal lengths, which I see from time to time on the III.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up