Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac Pro  (Read 30634 times)

Kirk_C

Re: iMac Pro
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2017, 05:24:34 pm »

Bud and Kevin are you guys confident you can calibrate the display or do you plan to run something better along side it ?

traderjay

« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2017, 02:37:17 am »

Except you claimed it was 100% CUDA, which it's not.  You also linked to a YouTube as authoritative support of your current performance claim.  Both actions speak volumes.

Honestly, at this point, I doubt anyone has any interest in your opinion about anything, and with good cause.

There are plenty of benchmarks out there on resolve that shows CUDA is superior than OpenCL. Feel free to google them yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKJjLwMUPJI

Dan Wells

« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2017, 03:37:41 am »

I'll be very interested to hear how the iMac Pros in the real world - Apple typically does a very well-balanced design (not everybody always likes their choices, but they're generally very good performers).

Dan

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2017, 03:45:45 pm »

My current photo workstation is a 3 year old iMac 27" 5k with 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD. It still works great, but I want more speed for my CaptureOne Pro 11 based workflow.

Hi Bud,

Congrats on the new machne.

C1 pro 11 litteally flies on my 4 years old macpro with dual GPU on D850 files. It should be very fast with the new imac Pro since its GPU should be extremely fast.

I have considered the iMac Pro but will probably wait for the modular Mac Pro next year. Hopefully it will be compatible with the latest volta based nvidia compute cards. These things put slightly older Cray super computers to shame. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 05:11:42 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Farmer

« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2017, 01:57:49 am »

There are plenty of benchmarks out there on resolve that shows CUDA is superior than OpenCL. Feel free to google them yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKJjLwMUPJI

No, you made a claim, it's up to you to support it - not for others to have to do so.  You can choose to not provide authoritative support, but your comments and claims will be regarded accordingly.
Phil Brown

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2017, 08:32:07 am »

Well Kevin & Bud, have either or both of them arrived?  :)

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2017, 08:55:52 am »

Mine is in Indy and will deliver today.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

rdonson

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2017, 08:26:11 am »

Regards,
Ron

Dan Wells

« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2017, 01:24:32 pm »

Good news and bad...

Bad (expected): Access is through the screen - much trickier than pulling the back off. It will require large suction cups, and there is a non-zero risk of breaking the screen every time you go in.

Good (expected): The RAM is indeed upgradeable  The only difference from previous iMacs that have needed the display off is that you are pulling the display off a brand-new $5000+ machine, not a $1500 machine - previous iMacs that have involved taking the display off have tended to be low-end models).

Good (and at least somewhat unexpected): The SSDs are also socketed - this being Apple, they may be nonstandard, but every previous Apple nonstandard SSD has been solved (by OWC and others) pretty quickly. This should be upgradeable, although OWC didn't explicitly say so.

Good (and I hadn't seen this at all before, although it makes sense). The CPU is socketed, and it's Intel's standard socket. There shouldn't be any reason why upgrading between the Apple supported CPU options wouldn't work (buy an 8 core, later decide you want 18 cores - dropping a Xeon W-2195 in should work). It may (or may not) also be possible to drop in OTHER Xeon W CPUs.

Bad (although it makes sense): RAM is apparently quad-channel ONLY - the only possible upgrades are "pull out all 4 DIMMs and replace them". 256 GB may very well work - 64 GB modules of the right type are already available, although not as fast as the iMac Pro wants.

Bad (completely expected): The GPU (while socketed) is nonstandard. If the Vega 64 is available as a service part, it'll pop right in - but don't expect any other upgrades unless a new generation comes out with the same socket.

Overall, fairly darned upgradeable, although it's going to be a $100+ labor charge every time, because it's accessed through the screen. Buy what you need from the factory (not worth trying to escape an Apple Tax, except possibly for 128 GB of RAM), but it's easy enough to give it a midlife kick in a couple years.

Dan
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:28:53 pm by Dan Wells »

traderjay

« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2017, 01:41:09 pm »

Good news and bad...

Bad (expected): Access is through the screen - much trickier than pulling the back off. It will require large suction cups, and there is a non-zero risk of breaking the screen every time you go in.

Good (expected): The RAM is indeed upgradeable  The only difference from previous iMacs that have needed the display off is that you are pulling the display off a brand-new $5000+ machine, not a $1500 machine - previous iMacs that have involved taking the display off have tended to be low-end models).

Good (and at least somewhat unexpected): The SSDs are also socketed - this being Apple, they may be nonstandard, but every previous Apple nonstandard SSD has been solved (by OWC and others) pretty quickly. This should be upgradeable, although OWC didn't explicitly say so.

Good (and I hadn't seen this at all before, although it makes sense). The CPU is socketed, and it's Intel's standard socket. There shouldn't be any reason why upgrading between the Apple supported CPU options wouldn't work (buy an 8 core, later decide you want 18 cores - dropping a Xeon W-2195 in should work). It may (or may not) also be possible to drop in OTHER Xeon W CPUs.

Bad (although it makes sense): RAM is apparently quad-channel ONLY - the only possible upgrades are "pull out all 4 DIMMs and replace them". 256 GB may very well work - 64 GB modules of the right type are already available, although not as fast as the iMac Pro wants.

Bad (completely expected): The GPU (while socketed) is nonstandard. If the Vega 64 is available as a service part, it'll pop right in - but don't expect any other upgrades unless a new generation comes out with the same socket.

Overall, fairly darned upgradeable, although it's going to be a $100+ labor charge every time, because it's accessed through the screen. Buy what you need from the factory (not worth trying to escape an Apple Tax, except possibly for 128 GB of RAM), but it's easy enough to give it a midlife kick in a couple years.

Dan

The GPU is soldered onto the board so its totally non-upradeable. As for going 256 GB DDR4 Ram, it will set you back a cool $USD4000 lol...

Farmer

« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2017, 03:11:09 pm »

Maybe.  The BIOS could lock out other CPUs, particularly if they don't yet exist (most mainboards need firmware/BIOS updates to deal with new CPUs even though they're of the same socket if they didn't exist at the time).  Apple probably won't be very forthcoming with such updates unless they release machines with the new CPUs.

That said, SSDs and RAM are going to be the most desirable upgrades and appear possible, so that's good.
Phil Brown

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2018, 08:55:53 am »

Well Mr. Raber, how's the new arrival working? Remember it will always have a "home" in CT if you don't like it  ;)

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Kirk_C

« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2018, 04:00:07 pm »

Bud and Kevin are you guys confident you can calibrate the display or do you plan to run something better along side it ?

No thoughts on this you guys ?

The display has been identified and it is identical to the standard iMac 5K

Also the IFIXIT tear down is now online.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2018, 05:34:08 pm »

I am still getting to know my machine.  Capture One flies on this.  Using the masking brush and slide corrections is instantaneous.  I did a 12 image stitch today of full size Sony a7r III files at 16 bit and it was like a light show as PS sped through the process and did the blending in record time.  We are going to give FCP a run later this week.  But as expected speed is 2-3 times faster (although I didn't really measure it).

I have done a screen calibration yet but I presume I can get pretty close.  I'll be testing a yet announced 34 inch monitor in the next few weeks and we'll see how that compares once calibrated and how well the iMac Pro drives that monitor.

The SSD drives are super fast.  I'll keep current projects on the SSD internal drives and then move them to my external storage once complete.  Sitting next to the iMac are 2 r6 Pegasus drive (15tB and 20TB), a r4 Pegasus (6 TB) and a 12 TB LacCie Big, Plus an 8 TB G drive serving as TimeMachine.

All drives are backed up to a second location. Lots of files for sure.

I restored from Time Machine from my older iMac in about 6 hours without any errors.  Had to enter some passwords over again but it was super painless.

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2018, 09:14:33 pm »

Question for you Kev, I've only "migrated" twice since my conversion to OSX but both times I used the "Migration Wizard  that was present in whatever the current version of OSX was, and the first time was from an XP machine :).  Is the Time Machine restore something different? Sorry if this appears silly guys, but I'm rather done with trying to keep with all the "under the hood" stuff :)
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2018, 01:46:42 pm »

Question for you Kev, I've only "migrated" twice since my conversion to OSX but both times I used the "Migration Wizard  that was present in whatever the current version of OSX was, and the first time was from an XP machine :).  Is the Time Machine restore something different? Sorry if this appears silly guys, but I'm rather done with trying to keep with all the "under the hood" stuff :)

Migration assistant gives you the option of migrating from various sources. One is an old Mac, another is a Time Machine backup.

Jeremy

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2018, 02:24:16 pm »

Either one works.  If you use time machine I would recommend that one.  Just follow the prompts and wait for it to finish.  It usually starts off with some crazy number of hours but after a while, it moves rapidly to something more reasonable.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2018, 02:26:30 pm »

I believe there is something to be said for avoiding Migration Assistant.
It is hugely convenient but quite indiscriminate about the files transferred.
I have transferred all the cruft and crap from several generations of machines to clog up a new one using MA.

IMO it is much cleaner and finally faster to go through the laborious process of manual re-installation. At least then you know that only what is truly needed is transferred.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2018, 02:44:50 pm »

I believe there is something to be said for avoiding Migration Assistant.
It is hugely convenient but quite indiscriminate about the files transferred.
I have transferred all the cruft and crap from several generations of machines to clog up a new one using MA.
IMO it is much cleaner and finally faster to go through the laborious process of manual re-installation. At least then you know that only what is truly needed is transferred.

+1
I would like it if migration assistant would had more options then all or nothing.
I also like to start with a clean installed system ( that system i will save as an Image Disk for a swift future clean install)
It would be great if Migration Assistant would let you choose only to migrate parts... for instance your emails only , some programs- not all etc.
Now i have to do that manually...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2018, 05:08:57 am »

I am still getting to know my machine.  Capture One flies on this.  Using the masking brush and slide corrections is instantaneous.  I did a 12 image stitch today of full size Sony a7r III files at 16 bit and it was like a light show as PS sped through the process and did the blending in record time.  We are going to give FCP a run later this week.  But as expected speed is 2-3 times faster (although I didn't really measure it).

Hi Kevin, with FCP you maybe get surprise if you just work with x264 codecs https://youtu.be/nLF3g2zF3qs , the old iMac will be faster since it has a native codec/decoder for x264 in the chip... for RAW video or x265 codecs the iMac Pro will be faster... also for 8k video...

http://dgpfotografia.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up