Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac Pro  (Read 30598 times)

Kevin Gallagher

Re: iMac Pro
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2018, 08:15:08 am »

Thanks Jeremy, Kevin & Mr. Chris!! Lots of good info from all of you, I totally see what you're getting at Chris as my original PC to MAC "Epiphany" no doubt bought over some unneeded stuff with it and that in turn came onto my present machine. Also Chris, could you guys please keep that cold air up there??/ :)

It is 6f in SW CT this morning and I had to thaw out my kitchen drain with a hairdryer BEFORE I could make coffee... it wasn't a pretty sight  ;)

Best to all for the New Year!!

Kevin in CT

Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2018, 10:34:54 am »

-30C this morning (-22F)  8)

Farmer

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2018, 11:16:18 pm »

-30C this morning (-22F)  8)

It hit 47C here in parts of Sydney, Australia today (117F).  Unofficially, in the middle of the Sydney Cricket Ground they took a reading at 57C (lack of wind, sunlight temp (135.7F).  I'd be happy to average things out with you!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/cricket/41784765?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5a518ab2e4b0e208006df90f%26%26&ns_fee=0#post_5a518ab2e4b0e208006df90f
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:35:50 pm by Farmer »
Phil Brown

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2018, 06:46:16 am »

I am at 0 celsius- right in the middle...
In the Netherlands the weather never is that extreme...
Good luck with surviving the COLD and HOT!
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2018, 06:50:33 am »

Hi all!! It's sitting right at 0f this morning in CT   8)

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2018, 12:59:31 pm »

Im late to the dance here, but I have just looked on the Apple website and you can spend up to 12k for an iMac Pro. The baxsic one is ~5k cant remember but that seems like plenty, accept when I bought computers before I was always advised to get the biggest and best as with in 6 months it will be the least.
So for a guy that is shooting a H6D-100c what is the minimum requirement needed say for a 5 frame stitch in PScc, No video, and just email and FB??

Neil

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2018, 04:37:46 pm »

Im late to the dance here, but I have just looked on the Apple website and you can spend up to 12k for an iMac Pro. The baxsic one is ~5k cant remember but that seems like plenty, accept when I bought computers before I was always advised to get the biggest and best as with in 6 months it will be the least.
So for a guy that is shooting a H6D-100c what is the minimum requirement needed say for a 5 frame stitch in PScc, No video, and just email and FB??

Neil, I think you can get to £18k if you try hard. For the last 30 years I've followed exactly the policy you describe, but I suspect that if I summon up the courage to buy a Pro, it will be the base model. I can't envisage a need for more when doing still photography. Video, that's another thing.

Jeremy

Kirk_C

« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2018, 08:20:23 pm »

I just bought the fastest iMac 5K bumped the ram to 64 and passed on the iMac Pro. I've been happy with that decision as the iMac Pro speed tests begin to show up online. With most of the CPU intensive tasks, like stitching 5 100mb files,the iMac Pro is not worth the money to me. You might feel it is.

IF there really is a new Mac Pro coming this year as promised I've got the $4K I saved stuffed in an old 70mm film can in the Hassy cabinet just waiting to put towards it.  :D

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:24:27 pm by Kirk_C »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2018, 11:26:23 pm »

For a start use PTgui, it is much much faster and much less resource intensive for much superior results.

I have been doing much larger panos from H6D-100c/D810/D850 on my 4 years old Mac Pro 2013 (8 cores, 128 GB RAM) without any issue.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2018, 05:34:27 am »

https://macperformanceguide.com/iMacPro_2017-Introduction.html

Frankly, reading this, the iMac Pro comes accross as a good machine but with a poor cost/performance ratio compared to a high end iMac costing a lot less.

Cheers,
Bernard

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2018, 06:06:43 am »

What’s PTgui??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2018, 07:30:38 am »

What’s PTgui??

Photo stitching software:
https://www.ptgui.com

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2018, 07:40:39 am »

Thanks mate. I will give it a try

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2018, 02:59:07 pm »

Well this is unusual to say the LEAST!!

$1000.00 Off Of Imac Pro

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Kirk_C

« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2018, 04:26:22 am »

Well this is unusual to say the LEAST!!

Would you spend $4K and be happy with 8GB of RAM ?

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2018, 06:28:36 am »

Would you spend $4K and be happy with 8GB of RAM ?

Kirk,
The link says 8gb with the graphics card. There is 32gb of eec ram. Still may not be good choice.

Dave

DaveRosenthal

« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2018, 11:56:11 pm »

Wanted to report in on my personal experience with the iMac Pro.

My main use case is editing files off the Phase XF100 in Capture One. Previously I was using a lower-end iMac from about 3 years ago. That machine really struggled with the high-res files, with Capture One taking at least a few seconds between photos and sometimes 10-15 if you caught it wrong-footed while quickly browsing/zooming. Too bad, since the form factor, screen, etc. is great. The happy news is that the iMac Pro solves that issue nicely--flipping between photos is nearly instant and now I can't get it to delay for more that a second or three at any time. Importing and exporting photos doesn't seem to be very well threaded (watching activity monitor), so I doubt that the 10 core model that I got is substantially better that a modern top-spec iMac for this workload (Diglloyd has good numbers on this). For my workflows that doesn't matter anyway, as I mostly care about the interactive speeds.

A couple of interesting items for the tech-obsessed that I've observed:

1) Despite the tech specs saying that 4.5GHz is the top turbo boost speed, I've only been able to get it to 4.2Ghz (monitored via Intel Power Gadget) on single-threaded workloads. Hmm...

2) Apple says the last-level-cache on the 10-core machine is 23.75MB. That is substantially more than the normal Xeon-W (i.e. non-apple special model) and one of the nice hidden-bonus specs that should contribute to good single-core performance as well. The rub is that every system information program I've tried (including the built-in ones) reports 13.75 MB instead--the normal amount. Another hmm...

All in all, I think I probably would have been almost as happy with a loaded 5K iMac, but a few things pushed me over the edge for the iMac Pro, including the faster graphics card and having ECC ram, which I have a probably-irrational affinity for from past personal experiences. Finally, when you spec up that 5K iMac with 64GB of RAM and a 2TB SSD, it's running $5,350 anyway, so the premium isn't too insane.

Dave

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2018, 12:08:43 am »

Wanted to report in on my personal experience with the iMac Pro.

My main use case is editing files off the Phase XF100 in Capture One. Previously I was using a lower-end iMac from about 3 years ago. That machine really struggled with the high-res files, with Capture One taking at least a few seconds between photos and sometimes 10-15 if you caught it wrong-footed while quickly browsing/zooming. Too bad, since the form factor, screen, etc. is great. The happy news is that the iMac Pro solves that issue nicely--flipping between photos is nearly instant and now I can't get it to delay for more that a second or three at any time. Importing and exporting photos doesn't seem to be very well threaded (watching activity monitor), so I doubt that the 10 core model that I got is substantially better that a modern top-spec iMac for this workload (Diglloyd has good numbers on this). For my workflows that doesn't matter anyway, as I mostly care about the interactive speeds.

A couple of interesting items for the tech-obsessed that I've observed:

1) Despite the tech specs saying that 4.5GHz is the top turbo boost speed, I've only been able to get it to 4.2Ghz (monitored via Intel Power Gadget) on single-threaded workloads. Hmm...

2) Apple says the last-level-cache on the 10-core machine is 23.75MB. That is substantially more than the normal Xeon-W (i.e. non-apple special model) and one of the nice hidden-bonus specs that should contribute to good single-core performance as well. The rub is that every system information program I've tried (including the built-in ones) reports 13.75 MB instead--the normal amount. Another hmm...

All in all, I think I probably would have been almost as happy with a loaded 5K iMac, but a few things pushed me over the edge for the iMac Pro, including the faster graphics card and having ECC ram, which I have a probably-irrational affinity for from past personal experiences. Finally, when you spec up that 5K iMac with 64GB of RAM and a 2TB SSD, it's running $5,350 anyway, so the premium isn't too insane.

Dave
Dave thanks for the write up. I went to see one yesterday at the apple shop in Phuket. The price there was B179000 approx $5600 so am assuming it’s the basic one. I have a new Hasselblad H6D 100c on the way so pretty much the same as what you have.
 Any chance of telling me what upgrades you got to your machine, as what you have I think will be perfect for me as well
Thanks
Neil

Kirk_C

« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2018, 12:47:25 am »

I bought the Apple 27" iMac Retina 5K Display; 4.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Radeon Pro 580 8GB (2017) for $2549 and upgraded the RAM to 64GB for $648. That's $3197 shipped to my door.

I bought 2 8TB Hardware Raids. I'll run RAID 1 in RAID 0  as my working drive and every 4 hours it'll automatically back up to the other  RAID running RAID 1. The drives are removable so I'll take backups off site every week or so and just install a new one.

Internal 500GB SSD with OS and all Apple's silly apps still has 479GB free. Plenty of room to install C1 and ACC. Not sure I'd every want to pay Apple's price for a 2TB SSD.

A good friend just bought the iMac Pro 10 core, 64GB, not sure what SSD and in our tests it's twice as fast when working with files from the 645Z imported into PS as a 'smart' object.

I wouldn't fault anyone for being enticed by the iMac Pro, it's very pretty and it is fast. I just don't want to go there until we see what the new Mac Pro is, if and when it happens this year.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2018, 02:17:47 am »

Apple does not say it is the last level cache... Apple says it is the cache of chip, as a marketing trick. A Xeon-W has three levels of cache, L1 very small, very few kilobytes, per core. An L2 level, of just 1 MB per core of the processor, and an L3 level cache, in the case of the 10 core processor of just 13.75 MB shared between all the cores of the processor. Apple is just saying in their marketing material that the processor has 13.75 MB + ( 10 cores x 1 MB ) = 23.75 MB of cache per CPU.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up