Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 7.1  (Read 12160 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Lightroom 7.1
« on: December 12, 2017, 03:29:14 am »

A heads up for Lightroom 7.1 which came out overnight with updates to all parts of the "Lightroom world" - Lightroom 7 itself (the so-called "Classic"), and the LRCC apps on iOS, Android and PC/Mac. It's mainly camera support, bug fixes, performance tuning, but I recommend that you check out the new Auto button.

The old Auto always used to be a "lucky dip", wrong as often as it was right, but the calculation has been totally changed. It now also sets Vibrance and Saturation, which I don't completely like (I live in a drab country) but I can live with this. If I don't like the effect on the image, I just double click the Presence label, which is quick and convenient. As in the attached example (Lr6 on the left, Lr7 on the right) I think the new Auto almost always produces a substantially better starting point than the old Auto, usually that starting point is good, and in this example I would be happy with its Vibrance and Saturation settings. In general, I think the new Auto almost always produces a substantially better starting point and the improvement is significant enough to give it a try.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:43:51 am by john beardsworth »

jrsforums

Re: Lightroom 7.1
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 10:58:19 am »

A heads up for Lightroom 7.1 which came out overnight with updates to all parts of the "Lightroom world" - Lightroom 7 itself (the so-called "Classic"), and the LRCC apps on iOS, Android and PC/Mac. It's mainly camera support, bug fixes, performance tuning, but I recommend that you check out the new Auto button.

The old Auto always used to be a "lucky dip", wrong as often as it was right, but the calculation has been totally changed. It now also sets Vibrance and Saturation, which I don't completely like (I live in a drab country) but I can live with this. If I don't like the effect on the image, I just double click the Presence label, which is quick and convenient. As in the attached example (Lr6 on the left, Lr7 on the right) I think the new Auto almost always produces a substantially better starting point than the old Auto, usually that starting point is good, and in this example I would be happy with its Vibrance and Saturation settings. In general, I think the new Auto almost always produces a substantially better starting point and the improvement is significant enough to give it a try.

Not here (USA) yet....at least not showing on my system as available update.....maybe rolling out later.
John

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 11:00:32 am »

I installed this latest version today and tried a number of landscape shots and agree it is considerably better. I do find that like previously there is a tendency to put exposure to high, at least for my taste. I also see that the shift double click on the different labels, like whites, shadows also works on vibrance and saturation. One day there will be algorithms that watch my editing and will be able to suggest my style of editing on any of my pictures. Some would probably consider this a night mare which would also imply that photographers could transfer their style to someone else and get the edits like this master photographer would normally do it. That would not jsut be global edits as the auto function does, but also local edits. Trust me, one day this will come.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 11:02:10 am »

Not here (USA) yet....at least not showing on my system as available update.....maybe rolling out later.

Go to the Adobe Creat Cloud app and click check for updates in the menu in the top right corner. This worked for me when there was no updates shown available earlier today.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 11:17:18 am »

I do find that like previously there is a tendency to put exposure to high, at least for my taste.

Try some snowscapes or other bright scenes. I find there's a tendency to underexpose.

One day there will be algorithms that watch my editing and will be able to suggest my style of editing on any of my pictures. Some would probably consider this a night mare which would also imply that photographers could transfer their style to someone else and get the edits like this master photographer would normally do it. That would not jsut be global edits as the auto function does, but also local edits. Trust me, one day this will come.

They say their machine learning boiled down large numbers of photographers and baked them into a neural nets library. OK, I am paraphrasing!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:24:03 am by john beardsworth »

jrsforums

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 11:21:59 am »

Go to the Adobe Creat Cloud app and click check for updates in the menu in the top right corner. This worked for me when there was no updates shown available earlier today.

Yep....thanks Hans

Agree on exposure....better, but still a bit “hot”

John
John

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 11:25:02 am »

I just checked the Adobe CC app on my machine and no Lr Classic update yet.  I did have updates for PS and Lr CC though.
Regards,
Ron

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 11:27:52 am »

Got it this morning and happily it understands files from my A7RIII; no more workarounds with terminal... :-)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 11:29:50 am »

I just checked the Adobe CC app on my machine and no Lr Classic update yet.  I did have updates for PS and Lr CC though.

Try signing out and back in again, or just restarting the computer.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 11:38:02 am »

Try some snowscapes or other bright scenes. I find there's a tendency to underexpose.

They say their machine learning boiled down large numbers of photographers and baked them into a neural nets library. OK, I am paraphrasing!

Yes, I read that and since it is only global edits and not related to my images, hence my comment  :)

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 12:03:26 pm »

Try signing out and back in again, or just restarting the computer.

Thanks, John.  I rebooted the Mac and the Lr Classic update appeared and is now being installed.
Regards,
Ron

ButchM

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 12:52:11 pm »

I would rather the machine learning would only focus it's attention on images I have already processed in my personal library and apply Auto settings based on that data. I have hundreds of thousands of action sports images shot in many similar venues and lighting conditions to use as examples. I don't really need to expend the time effort and resources for Sensei to review works created by other photographers to discover viable options for my established use.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 01:15:24 pm »

I don't really need to expend the time effort and resources for Sensei to review works created by other photographers to discover viable options for my established use.

It's already expended that effort, of course, and baked it into the code. And I think one can sometimes see the new Auto settings as questioning your established habits and maybe leading you to change how you use some sliders.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 01:24:45 pm »

It's already expended that effort, of course, and baked it into the code. And I think one can sometimes see the new Auto settings as questioning your established habits and maybe leading you to change how you use some sliders.

As I alluded to before this could be taken quite a bit further. The machine learning could be used to adapt to my style including local corrections and there could be a market at styles developped by different photographers that one could buy and download and choose between. The auto button could be replaced by a drop down menu of styles. Styles could also be from machine learning from other sources. Only the imagination is the limit. But as I said I'm sure a lot of photographers would hate this development.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 01:39:48 pm »

Intelligent Presets (TM).

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 02:08:11 pm »

Auto anything; As the late great Bruce Fraser would say, artificial intelligence is often just artificial ignorance.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ButchM

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 02:13:09 pm »

That's fine and good if I were a complete newbie to the fray ... but after 44 years as a full time working professional ... over half that time using sliders on a daily basis, I might have a better clue as to which ones to move ... and how far ... might be something I have already studied extensively. Thus, my existing works already in my catalog may already have a better example and grasp on what I need to achieve in order to serve my clients more efficiently.

We'll see how well it works, though, I am going to wait until the pay-to-play beta testers use it a bit before I consider updating. I've been burned too many times over the life span of CC 2015 that I no longer have any urge to be an early adopter.

jrsforums

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 02:28:34 pm »

That's fine and good if I were a complete newbie to the fray ... but after 44 years as a full time working professional ... over half that time using sliders on a daily basis, I might have a better clue as to which ones to move ... and how far ... might be something I have already studied extensively. Thus, my existing works already in my catalog may already have a better example and grasp on what I need to achieve in order to serve my clients more efficiently.

We'll see how well it works, though, I am going to wait until the pay-to-play beta testers use it a bit before I consider updating. I've been burned too many times over the life span of CC 2015 that I no longer have any urge to be an early adopter.

...and walking to school everyday, up hill both ways!!  😀
John

adias

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 02:53:17 pm »

I am getting a Bridge install failure. The program still runs...

ButchM

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 03:01:40 pm »

...and walking to school everyday, up hill both ways!!  😀

In fact, some days, I did. Depended which bust stop I chose to use on the way home. 😀

That aside ... how do you feel about a machine learning 'auto' setting that is based upon your personal past works vs what total strangers think your images should look like? We've already had over a decade of the latter, all I am saying is I find the former would be more beneficial and efficient to my workflow.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up