While the financial strengths of Adobe and Capture One are of great interest, aren't we wondering a bit from the original topic just a bit? I'm just tickled that Adobe is doing so well because I think one of my investment portfolios include Adobe. However, please remember, I'm the whiny photographer who thinks the world revolves about him, objects to change, and is looking at alternatives to Lightroom. Apparently I'm also good at facial mutilation, although I could probably do with a nose job when all's said and done. (grin)
Thank you all for your comments, even those that suggest I'm an idiot. Those last aren't going to change my mind, but they are framing the discussion.
Yes, I am aware of hardware and OS changes that could affect me and am prepared. Fortunately, I use Windows, which amazing seems to be more stable in versioning that the OS on Macs. Notice I said versioning, not operational stability. It does seem that the Mac folks have had more recent challenges when Apple retires deprecated APIs for various functions or makes other OS changes.
I've been working with Affinity and DxO's new PhotoLab. At this point I'm starting to find my way around the UIs, and I can probably accomplish whatever I need to do with either. My DAM software search is continuing, although I am discovering an advantage I hadn't thought about when using a non-LR DAM. (Just add "clueless" to whiny in the description above.) I have a large number of non-image documents to keep track of, and I've been using the old standby of directory structure to do so. I hadn't considered that a full featured DAM could help there as well as keep my image assets in order.
Tom