Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 386448 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #2680 on: May 14, 2019, 07:41:37 am »

Reflecting...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2681 on: May 14, 2019, 08:31:00 am »

That one works for me.
Good seeing.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #2682 on: May 14, 2019, 04:08:13 pm »

Reflecting...

Nice one; still trying to work out the left-hand flowers: convinced that I see a pair of little jockeys - okay, really little jockeys - up at the top of the bunch. Or Giacometti ones.

Rob

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #2683 on: May 14, 2019, 04:57:22 pm »

Pulsatilla vernalis (L.) Mill. Malghera, Western Grosina Valley, Valtellina.

Rob C

« Reply #2684 on: May 14, 2019, 05:09:09 pm »

Pulsatilla vernalis (L.) Mill. Malghera, Western Grosina Valley, Valtellina.

Really nice one; the drops are so delicate agaist the other textures.

Not critique: I pulled the picture up a bit and realised you have actually got two shots in one: as it is, with the snow/mountain location, and then much tighter where you lose the sense of the location but make more of the flower.

I really can't decide which one I like more.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #2685 on: May 14, 2019, 05:14:44 pm »

Gonna blame my equipment: D700 with 8/500 cat.

Shame not all longer lenses come with a revolving tripod collar.

:-)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #2686 on: May 14, 2019, 05:35:55 pm »

I bet Adam has finished the bottle by now.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #2687 on: May 14, 2019, 06:00:15 pm »

Thank you Rob. The picture was taken at F/5.6 with the Zeiss Distagon 25 F/2.8 (max magnification ratio 1:2,32). It is a stack of two shots, the first one with the focus point on a water drop (or, more probably, on a stamen/anther) and the second one with the focus point on the violet tepal. I merged the stem of the first one with the flower of the second one.
I have also this single shot picture taken at F/11 (focus point on a stamen) that gives a more definite background and a less isolated flower (My sister prefers it).

P.S. A very cold and rainy/snowy may in Italy this year.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:08:32 pm by muntanela »

Rob C

« Reply #2688 on: May 15, 2019, 03:36:42 am »

Thank you Rob. The picture was taken at F/5.6 with the Zeiss Distagon 25 F/2.8 (max magnification ratio 1:2,32). It is a stack of two shots, the first one with the focus point on a water drop (or, more probably, on a stamen/anther) and the second one with the focus point on the violet tepal. I merged the stem of the first one with the flower of the second one.
I have also this single shot picture taken at F/11 (focus point on a stamen) that gives a more definite background and a less isolated flower (My sister prefers it).

P.S. A very cold and rainy/snowy may in Italy this year.

I think I like the first one better; the sense of softness in the background is stronger, yet still tells me about location.

Here in Mallorca it has been strange weather too. I put away the electric heaters last week, but still have the electric blanket on for an hour before going to bed. Very little rain this year, but the wind seems to be cold and there's a lot of it: the car is salt-encrusted and at least it gives me an excuse not to wash it until the weather changes.

That said, it's been sunny for the past few days, hot in the sun and cold in the shade. The only people in shorts are tourists, who probably brought nothing else!

Rob
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:01:38 am by Rob C »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #2689 on: May 15, 2019, 04:37:24 am »

I think I like the first one better; the sense of softness in the background is stronger, yet still tells me about location.

Here in Mallorca it has been strange weather too. I put away the electric heaters last week, but still have the electric blanket on for an hour before gouing to bed. Very little rain this year, but the wind seems to be cold and there's a lot of it: the car is salt-encrusted and at least it gives me an excuse not to wash it until the weather changes.

That said, it's been sunny for the past few days, hot in the sun and cold in the shade. The only people in shorts are tourists, who probably brought nothing else!

Rob

You can always tell a native of Morocco apart from the tourist, the native wears at least two more layers.

Rob C

« Reply #2690 on: May 16, 2019, 03:46:37 pm »

It was gonna be a Hasselfake, but I can't remember where I put the border. Maybe Mr Trump built over it?

:-)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2691 on: May 16, 2019, 10:50:16 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #2692 on: May 17, 2019, 04:16:27 am »

The panda's got the right idea!

;-)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2693 on: May 23, 2019, 02:39:02 am »

Golden oldie: cardealer, that be a Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz near his hand.
Regards,
~ O ~

rabanito

« Reply #2694 on: May 23, 2019, 03:45:13 am »

Golden oldie: cardealer, that be a Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz near his hand.
I like the light, the colors and the composition.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2695 on: May 24, 2019, 08:32:34 am »

Price winning material, obv...
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2696 on: May 25, 2019, 04:00:38 am »

Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #2697 on: May 25, 2019, 04:28:21 am »

I think the problem with the empty shops and the high rental prices is that the landlords understand that for those kinds of businesses that have closed, there is no way back, regardless of rent levels: people just don't want to shop in shops anymore because they go Internet. If they reduce rents, they lose money because existing businesses that can't go Intenet will then expect to pay less too, and as there are fewer of them...

Personally, I think it, Internet buying, sucks. I hate spending without first seeing what I am buying.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2698 on: May 25, 2019, 05:02:17 am »

I think the problem with the empty shops and the high rental prices is that the landlords understand that for those kinds of businesses that have closed, there is no way back, regardless of rent levels: people just don't want to shop in shops anymore because they go Internet. If they reduce rents, they lose money because existing businesses that can't go Intenet will then expect to pay less too, and as there are fewer of them...

Personally, I think it, Internet buying, sucks. I hate spending without first seeing what I am buying.

What I can't figure out though is this: if you can afford 30% vacancies, you apparently run on more than 30% margin. Considering the average store runs on a 3% margin or less, it is clear that something is significantly skewed. I recently watched a movie "The Founder" which features a brilliant Michel Keaton in a story about the history of McDonalds. The movie depicts several very interesting insights. Amongst others the take away was that the real estate where hamburgers are sold is more important than the franchise business itself, and that was eventually key to the success of the founder and his more or less hostile takeover. Obviously a strategy suggested by some shrewd legal administrative type.

Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #2699 on: May 25, 2019, 06:24:31 am »

What I can't figure out though is this: if you can afford 30% vacancies, you apparently run on more than 30% margin. Considering the average store runs on a 3% margin or less, it is clear that something is significantly skewed. I recently watched a movie "The Founder" which features a brilliant Michel Keaton in a story about the history of McDonalds. The movie depicts several very interesting insights. Amongst others the take away was that the real estate where hamburgers are sold is more important than the franchise business itself, and that was eventually key to the success of the founder and his more or less hostile takeover. Obviously a strategy suggested by some shrewd legal administrative type.

I'm not sure about your 3% figure.

When I was doing fashion for big stores, I gathered from some that they sold at 100% markup, which was why they were able to offer "sales" at 30% discounts etc. and not lose money. Sure, they have staff, rents, local taxes and all the additional costs to pay out of that, so it all becomes a bit of a quagmire and a glory pool for the bean counters.

If we were but able to dig into some of the recent scandals surrounding the British High Street fashion industry, then I'm sure it would end up giving us permanently raised eyebrows. When you have owners domiciled in Monaco, with massive yachts, then it would seem pretty convincing that shops pay - somehow! Even of the businesses can get sold for £1.

;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:49:46 am by Rob C »
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 184   Go Up