Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 388537 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #2700 on: May 25, 2019, 07:15:50 am »

I'm not sure about your 3% figure.

When I was doing fashion for big stores...

That be pre internet and pre crisis figures, Rob. You'd probably be right. I vaguely recall a rule of thumb: you need to sell at about 3x purchase price, and account for about 2.5x costs, which would suggest about 20% margin pretax. 

But I am absolutely certain that currently catering is running at between 1% and 3%, and I am fairly sure retail in general no longer makes more than 5%. It's notable that the only shops surviving in citycenter are the shops who also own their real estate. It's also notable that the larger household names all go broke, ever since the hedge funds split the retail activities and real estate assets for the unimaginable profit on the latter.

That's probably the true source of those private yachts...

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #2701 on: May 25, 2019, 09:33:37 am »

Yes, when I did calendars, that was how I figured out quotations: added up everything that I could foresee that the production could cost, and then simply added my percentage on top.

When you broke it down to a per item basis, it still looked reasonable compared with stock calendars, but on my side was the advantage that none of the ones I could find to price as competition involved the complex double-binding system that one of my series had, with the second wiro binding carrying the months, suspended from the bottom of the backing board that ended just below the upper picture section. Expensive, but it allowed the client's clients to change images to mix any picture with any month. That way, if the guy was a bank manager, for example, he could display a headshot if a female client was coming to see him, or a topless number if it was somebody else. It made shooting more interesting, too.

Best of all, for that calendar I was able to access the top of the tree, the guy had no desire that I present a costing breakdown; bottom line was what cut it or killed it.

And that's one of the examples I was thinking about in another thread, when I wrote of chains of coincidence and pure luck playing their part. I met this client because I had been an apprentice in an engineering company, changed direction and moved to their photo department. The chap who was doing the company's PR used to come regularly to the studio to pick up pix and chat with the photo staff. One day, a year or two after I left the company for the commercial world, the same PR man knocked on my studio door. He had also left for private practice and my calendar client-to-be was one of his clients. He introduced me to the chap for me to do some industrial shots for him, and I noted the Pirelli calendar on this man's wall. He was open to it. The rest was personal history for me. Little acorns, and the right place at the right time.

I have told the story before, but for years I had chased my beer client and got absolutely nowhere. One day, out of the blue, I asked my wife if she'd take my portfolio to the company. She had never done any selling in her life, having trained in chemistry. To our mutual surprise, she said okay, and went out one day with my book, and returned to make lunch with an appointment for me with the Marketing Director. Fed us for years! That's not luck? Of course you have to be able to produce the goods, but lots of pros can do that and still get nowhere.

If you watch the William Klein documentary that the BBC made some years ago, there's a moment towards the end when Klein is at a barber's shop in NY and one of the guys says William, you got a good eye! William replies, quietly and honestly, it takes more than that.

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2702 on: May 25, 2019, 10:46:37 am »

Which brings us back to the nuggets of wisdom in the movie I mentioned. The theme being that perseverance and determination are the key to success. Not talent, as nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Not genius either, as the unrewarded genius is practically a cliché. Certainly not education, as the world is full of educated fools.

And with that we can take it straight to the coffeecorner, I suppose.
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2703 on: May 26, 2019, 10:57:38 am »

More colorpoetry of the mundane. Or is it street? Since it actually has a street in it? Hasselfake then? Oh, wait, this is without prejudice...
Regards,
~ O ~

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2704 on: May 26, 2019, 11:11:35 am »

Looks a lot like colordoggerel to me, Oscar.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2705 on: May 26, 2019, 11:58:28 am »

Hehe, well on my way to 50k... (which, incidentally, also rhymes). Now I only need to print BIG for some gravitas and see if the municipal authorities would be interested in livening up citycenter. Would that hurt my chances you think, with them being responsible in either case?
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #2706 on: May 26, 2019, 12:10:02 pm »

Oscar, Hasselfake is perfectly acceptable in WP; that said, you simply must use the borders with the indents, which are de rigueur, or you do not have a genuine fake.

Don't you just love the creatively tautological possibilities of the English language?

;-)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2707 on: May 26, 2019, 12:36:27 pm »

Oscar, Hasselfake is perfectly acceptable in WP; that said, you simply must use the borders with the indents, which are de rigueur, or you do not have a genuine fake.

Don't you just love the creatively tautological possibilities of the English language?

;-)

I understand, Rob. There's a certain effort required in mastering the fake, to the point that it becomes a genuine source of artistry itself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_Jan_Jansen

(Some french language links at the bottom of the dutch entry)
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_Jan_Jansen

Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #2708 on: May 26, 2019, 01:53:42 pm »

I understand, Rob. There's a certain effort required in mastering the fake, to the point that it becomes a genuine source of artistry itself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_Jan_Jansen

(Some french language links at the bottom of the dutch entry)
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_Jan_Jansen

Indeed; trying to copy the work, from postcards from the local museum, of Vincent van Gogh was my favourite pastime before I found my girlfriend. Had I ever managed to impress a dealer, I would probably have considered myself a successful painter, not an iota of creativity involved!

But even copying was not easy.

:-)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2709 on: May 26, 2019, 06:33:18 pm »

walk in the park with the camera set to b&w

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2710 on: May 27, 2019, 07:29:51 am »

I've decided I really like that as a genre-definition of sorts.

Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2711 on: May 28, 2019, 09:32:44 am »

The mother source of all understanding
Regards,
~ O ~

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #2712 on: May 28, 2019, 11:20:43 am »

^

Don't understand it at all which is why I like it.

John R

« Reply #2713 on: May 28, 2019, 12:24:48 pm »

Nice work, Oscar! The chairs are fabulous. And the mother source that understands is quite intriguing, as is the excellent toning.

JR

Rob C

« Reply #2714 on: May 28, 2019, 12:47:12 pm »

Rapsodia Mamaria.

Drove Hunter S. Thompson all the way to Las Vegas.

:-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2715 on: May 28, 2019, 03:53:52 pm »

A Laughing Buddha close-up?

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2716 on: June 02, 2019, 12:36:34 pm »

More absurdism. Not because this is another picture of a bird on a lantern, but because there really is no meaning behind the image. Although of course everyone's free to make up meaning. I'm pretty much a sucker for Artist statements, despite this being WP. Everything's better than more politics...

Regards,
~ O ~

John R

« Reply #2717 on: June 02, 2019, 09:14:29 pm »

More absurdism. Not because this is another picture of a bird on a lantern, but because there really is no meaning behind the image. Although of course everyone's free to make up meaning. I'm pretty much a sucker for Artist statements, despite this being WP. Everything's better than more politics...
Didn't see the bird until I enlarged the image. I like the juxtaposition of the two lamps before I saw the bird. It now introduces an organic element and makes me think the higher lamp is like a sentinel watching over the bird and lower lamp.

JR

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #2718 on: June 03, 2019, 08:01:46 am »

How time flies. It's been about three months since I've perused LuLa, and a lot of very fine images have been posted. Anyway, here are a couple from early April (the white specks everywhere are snowflakes). This is Snyders Shipyard on the LaHave River, NS (quite close to home). Took these snaps while my wife and daughter waited impatiently in the car. "I just need a couple of minutes, max. I promise!"

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2719 on: June 03, 2019, 01:01:12 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 184   Go Up