Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 386299 times)

Patricia Sheley

Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #880 on: January 01, 2018, 03:47:53 am »

~nearer the sun.
A common woman~

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #881 on: January 01, 2018, 09:08:27 am »

Not much warmth from that sun ... yet.
But wait a few months.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #882 on: January 01, 2018, 03:38:06 pm »

That snap was actually moonrise last night through the double glass doors, couldn't make myself brave the trip away from fire (coincidently reflected in the glass) . I watched the temp move from -4 at 5am down the ramp to -8 at 6am, then curiously a steady climb back up afterward. By late breakfast a toasty 3. There was enugh heat remaining in the chimney (a very massive and tall one) surprisingly that the last coals were coddled in the ash bed allowing the fire to pop right back to going about its wonderful Rumford back radiance. Sweetness!

aside, source EarthSky:

Tonight – January 2, 2018 – we reach Earth’s closest point to the sun for this entire year at 11:35 p.m. CST (central U.S.). It’ll be the morning of January 3 for Europe and Africa … later in the day January 3 for the rest of the world (January 3 at 5:35 UTC; translate to your time zone). Astronomers call this special point in our orbit perihelion, from the Greek roots peri meaning near and helios meaning sun.

Source: Fred Espenak’s Earth at perihelion and aphelion, 2001 to 2100

On January 3, 2018, Earth at its closest point swings to within 91,401,983 miles (147,097,233 km) of the sun. That’s in contrast to six months from now, when the Earth reaches aphelion – its most distant point – on July 6, 2018. Then we’ll be 94,507,803 miles (152,095,566 km) from the sun.

In other words, Earth is about 3 million miles (5 million km) closer to the sun in early January than it is in early July. That’s always the case. Earth is closest to the sun every year in early January, when it’s winter for the Northern Hemisphere.

We’re farthest away from the sun in early July, during our Northern Hemisphere summer
A common woman~

Telecaster

« Reply #883 on: January 01, 2018, 05:14:57 pm »

In other words, Earth is about 3 million miles (5 million km) closer to the sun in early January than it is in early July. That’s always the case. Earth is closest to the sun every year in early January, when it’s winter for the Northern Hemisphere.

We’re farthest away from the sun in early July, during our Northern Hemisphere summer

This is in part why winters in the Antarctic tend to be colder than in the Arctic.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #884 on: January 02, 2018, 04:58:06 am »

This is in part why winters in the Antarctic tend to be colder than in the Arctic.

-Dave-

Blame the bears or the penguins, or both!

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #885 on: January 02, 2018, 04:32:19 pm »

Not Cherbourg. No umbrellas.

Rob
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:40:25 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #886 on: January 04, 2018, 11:43:56 am »

Found an old, real contact sheet amongst some digital test prints that I was consigning to the tender mercies of the rubbish collectors. Whenever I find myself doing these household chores I get images of cash machines behind my eyes; I'm all for printless photography! Anyway, I copìed the sheet and amused myself for a little while, which is better than cutting my toenails, which I did the other day.

It was quite a difficult stretch, trying to cut; almost gave myself a hernia when I suddenly remembered that there was a time I could put my ankle behind my head.

For the technically minded: Nikkor 3.5/135 on a Nikon F or F2 with FP3 or FP4 - can't remember when they changed, and D76 1+1.

;-(

Rob
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:44:46 am by Rob C »

Telecaster

« Reply #887 on: January 05, 2018, 04:39:48 pm »

Part of my morning routine involves a cup of coffee and a playing session with this gizmo (attached pic). Especially useful for limbering up fingers in cold weather. I dial up a new sound every handful of mornings and then often tweak it over the following days before starting over again. No presets…pure WYSIWYG. The pic is a heavily-cropped trial run at riffing on a Moog promo I saw online. Haven't gotten around to a "proper" version yet (wider lens at closer range).

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #888 on: January 05, 2018, 04:44:20 pm »

Found an old, real contact sheet amongst some digital test prints that I was consigning to the tender mercies of the rubbish collectors.

Last evening I tried convincing one of my neighbor's kids to pose with a water pistol and a menacing grimace, but she wasn't having it.   :D

-Dave-

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #889 on: January 05, 2018, 05:34:16 pm »

Part of my morning routine involves a cup of coffee and a playing session with this gizmo (attached pic). Especially useful for limbering up fingers in cold weather. I dial up a new sound every handful of mornings and then often tweak it over the following days before starting over again. No presets…pure WYSIWYG. The pic is a heavily-cropped trial run at riffing on a Moog promo I saw online. Haven't gotten around to a "proper" version yet (wider lens at closer range).

-Dave-

Soooo much better than a guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTUM8gFyLqo
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #890 on: January 05, 2018, 07:45:30 pm »

Not long before Kingsley's famous pop Moog tune was Wendy Carlos (Switched On Bach) and Dick Hyman, of course. I still remember the first time I heard The Minotaur. For most of my generation, however, it was Emerson, Lake and Palmer who really brought the sound to the airwaves in a big way. I think "Lucky Man" was released as a single in 1970 and re-released in '73.

Rob C

« Reply #891 on: January 06, 2018, 04:23:15 am »

Last evening I tried convincing one of my neighbor's kids to pose with a water pistol and a menacing grimace, but she wasn't having it.   :D

-Dave-

Buy her a Klein book and get her to bring along a friend...

;-)

Rob

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #892 on: January 06, 2018, 09:52:39 am »

That's framing.

That's it's here and it's gone.

That's a flat mountain.

Bruce

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #893 on: January 06, 2018, 01:49:45 pm »

La jongleuse... Jozette Margarette Seinecke-Bock.

Telecaster

« Reply #894 on: January 06, 2018, 04:06:08 pm »

Hah, hadn't heard Popcorn in ages.  :)  Didn't even know it had been covered so much.

The Emerson, Lake & Palmer song that stuck in my ear as a teenager was From The Beginning. Also features a catchy Moog solo at the end.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #895 on: January 06, 2018, 11:06:02 pm »

La jongleuse... Jozette Margarette Seinecke-Bock.

Love those shoes and leggings (or socks). Circus performer style.

-Dave-

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #896 on: January 07, 2018, 04:07:14 am »

Another attempt.

Rob C

« Reply #897 on: January 07, 2018, 04:48:42 am »

That's framing.

That's it's here and it's gone.

That's a flat mountain.

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce; I sometimes try to reduce things to the minimum, even within the overall area of interest.

To revert to another thread about pre-sensing the shot: black/white seems to lend itself to that better than colour if only because shadow can look more convincing as black than as some suggested, coloured tone of it does. Or at least, so I find. When you can decide on what it is that really attracts your eye, then it isn't rocket science to figure out a framing to let you concentrate on that, knowing you can change the rest of the image later on by subjugating it to shadow or lack of focus via wide apertures.

Photography is such a powerful tool for expression, not just of self, but of observations. Some will argue it's the same thing, but I'm not so sure.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #898 on: January 07, 2018, 05:14:46 am »

Circus performer style.

Well, she is, so...

Interesting insight into the "joys" of the street performer: between Christmas and New Year, she was shut down by 3 Municipal Police... the lowest rung of the police hierarchy. They walked straight past a bunch of male performers and told her if she didn't turn off the music, she'd be arrested.

This despite having an authorisation from city hall, whose rep called the police to confirm. The police replied that when it came to "Public Order" they were free to make their own judgement. A judgement that can presumably be modified by slipping a few notes into the right hands... :(

Rob C

« Reply #899 on: January 07, 2018, 06:17:59 am »

Well, she is, so...

Interesting insight into the "joys" of the street performer: between Christmas and New Year, she was shut down by 3 Municipal Police... the lowest rung of the police hierarchy. They walked straight past a bunch of male performers and told her if she didn't turn off the music, she'd be arrested.

This despite having an authorisation from city hall, whose rep called the police to confirm. The police replied that when it came to "Public Order" they were free to make their own judgement. A judgement that can presumably be modified by slipping a few notes into the right hands... :(

There's an ongoing case in Palma where a nightclub owner is on trial for using the police to do his heavy lifting... in essence, the tale is that in exchange for freebies at his clubs - not money! - they leaned on other clubs so hard and for so long, with drug raids etc. that the man in question would then make them an offer to buy that they could not, financially, refuse. It also explained why residents' complaints about club noise at night were ignored, depsite the reality of laws controlling such polution. Great world in which we live.

Rob
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:16:52 am by Rob C »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 184   Go Up