Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 386296 times)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #860 on: December 28, 2017, 09:26:42 am »

The law of two elevenths (uncropped).

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #861 on: December 28, 2017, 09:35:20 am »

Some unexpected strangeness for Christmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETf1zrKk5W0

Possibly a result of drinking tea with Serge.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #862 on: December 28, 2017, 10:02:40 am »

Nicely done. Very "less-is-more", including the toning. Would fit the minimalism thread as well.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #863 on: December 28, 2017, 10:28:23 am »

Possibly a result of drinking tea with Serge.

Yes, it might explain the bout of gawkish, self-conscious twisting, but I often wonder what sort of blend Serge used to brew; he certainly drank a lot of it with many lovely ladies. I think Jeanloup also had a pot or two with BB but can't remember if that's true or just personal (mine) pangs of envy. Once you see one of those tea-meisters you get to sense them everywhere!

I just bought some more tea this afternoon, but as it's just bags, I don't suppose the mojo works - what can one expect, taking the lazy route?

Perhaps it's like photography: requires incentive. They used to sing: David Bailey takes tea twice daily. Of course, as one can imagine, he was up to his elbows in incentive.

;-(

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #864 on: December 28, 2017, 08:48:02 pm »

Got my fav 90mm lens back today from a CLA + new 6-bit coded mount, and after taking a pass on some outdoor test snapping (too cold for December!) I settled for a guitar portrait. Use what you've got comfortably at hand… This is an early '70s Guild, one of my long-time workhorses. Lens and cameras are now in proper sync too.

-Dave-

John R

« Reply #865 on: December 28, 2017, 08:50:13 pm »

Keen eye there, Mr Graham.

JR

Rob C

« Reply #866 on: December 29, 2017, 05:47:50 am »

Got my fav 90mm lens back today from a CLA + new 6-bit coded mount, and after taking a pass on some outdoor test snapping (too cold for December!) I settled for a guitar portrait. Use what you've got comfortably at hand… This is an early '70s Guild, one of my long-time workhorses. Lens and cameras are now in proper sync too.

-Dave-

Thanks - makes me think of this, quite suitable for the time of year (I like the chair shot better than the Keeler one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A_1zZ8Xx64

Rob

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #867 on: December 29, 2017, 08:32:34 am »

I have made peace with the fact that I can't "see" compositions for people/ model photography, every time I pick up a camera to do "serious" or considered attempts with the Blonde it ends up in nothing. But the cellphone is always handy for when walking into a composition like when I saw this as I walked past her in a doorway.

Rob C

« Reply #868 on: December 29, 2017, 10:07:38 am »

Seeing the snowy news about Glasgow today made me wonder if once-regular poster, stamper, has been out there making Leiteresque shots of red brollies in the snow... I would have braved the cold and even wet feet to do that! I think.

Turns out we had a wildfire a couple of nights ago, just a short distance from home; neither heard nor saw a damned thing! Magnum needs me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJPK5ZiJsS0

;-)

Rob

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #869 on: December 29, 2017, 01:32:48 pm »

wet

Rob C

« Reply #870 on: December 29, 2017, 03:00:26 pm »

wet

Nice one! Wish I could find city lights again. This time, I'd think of using them, not shutting the door on them and putting my feet up. Not that I put my feet up on anything: hated people who put them up on tables or other chairs. Anyway, my wife would have wordlessly handed man a duster and some polish, and left the room.

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #871 on: December 29, 2017, 05:05:23 pm »

I have made peace with the fact that I can't "see" compositions for people/ model photography, every time I pick up a camera to do "serious" or considered attempts with the Blonde it ends up in nothing. But the cellphone is always handy for when walking into a composition like when I saw this as I walked past her in a doorway.
That shot tempts me to get a cell phone.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #872 on: December 29, 2017, 10:01:05 pm »

~not even cold dampens the spirits this evening...a small tip of cognac seals the deal~ahh, onions, fond de boeuf, and gruyere~ let it blow, let it blow, let it blow...😋
A common woman~

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #873 on: December 29, 2017, 10:23:07 pm »

~not even cold dampens the spirits this evening...a small tip of cognac seals the deal~ahh, onions, fond de boeuf, and gruyere~ let it blow, let it blow, let it blow...😋
Yum!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

« Reply #874 on: December 29, 2017, 11:39:54 pm »

Yum!
So here I am looking at the Patricia's food once again. Eric likes it for sure. So warm and inviting on these cold bleak wintery days. But today was great. Only -7 celsius, the sun wrestling with the clouds produced a fine bright, soft wintry day. Wish I could have gone out. I have decided to include one warm image and one "blue" image. It was literally blue all over, so I decided to correct only one half, leave it abstract, with no features in the white.

JR

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:50:36 pm by John R »

Telecaster

« Reply #875 on: December 30, 2017, 12:28:10 am »

I'll have a shot of tequila with my helping, please.  :D  Yum fer sher!

-Dave-

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #876 on: December 30, 2017, 04:05:13 am »

Nice one! Wish I could find city lights again.
Rob
Thank you. Funny thing is, after more than 15 years here, I lost the eye for many "city things" a bit, eventually. You know, if something stops to be new it's hard to maintain a fresh look or even get attracted to something that could be worth it. Sometimes I find myself thinking "what the heck are they shooting there" when I pass by a group of tourists obviously excited about something I actually don't "see" anymore ... Still don't have a trick to bypass this behavior ...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:10:56 am by farbschlurf »

Rob C

« Reply #877 on: December 30, 2017, 07:06:27 am »

Thank you. Funny thing is, after more than 15 years here, I lost the eye for many "city things" a bit, eventually. You know, if something stops to be new it's hard to maintain a fresh look or even get attracted to something that could be worth it. Sometimes I find myself thinking "what the heck are they shooting there" when I pass by a group of tourists obviously excited about something I actually don't "see" anymore ... Still don't have a trick to bypass this behavior ...

Despite what clients used to think, travelling to new locations was not all about getting one's jollies, but about getting enthusiasm worked right up to 11 so that you could use what you had researched to the maximum.

Your city ennui is exactly what 37 years of Mallorca has left me nursing: I just can't see it anymore. I know that's crazy, because for a while it was magical for me - though I also know a lot of the magic was imaginary, that it was newness trumping reality. But then it represented a lot more than living on location, as it were, it was also a paradise for two people who suddenly found the time to be together 24/24/365+ instead of just meeting to eat, watch some tv, deal with the two kids and go to bed. That new life was never going to work the wrong way.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #878 on: December 30, 2017, 07:45:07 am »

(abstract, with no features in the white.)
John,
This deserves a home of its own! Pool of chromatic grey on a Chinese inkstone.
So much is flooding my mind with this. Headed off island to farmers market for the weeks greens. To be 25 negative in the North Woods tonight, negative 5-20 for the rest of us...I wake each morning thankful to be surrounded by the sea, but the flows from the pole~well I'm still alive for the experience... More on that second of your two images on return... Not to covet is how I try to live but this one dangles temptation~
A common woman~

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #879 on: December 31, 2017, 01:47:14 pm »

John~

I am exerting all my efforts from this point forward in my reply not to become longwinded or boring with "insights". Yet, this one has taken hold, your Chinese inkstone debarkation.
I arrive at this point after many dream charged nights triggered by a work going through a second self editing... the place I go amid wake sleep deserts me at the precipice of a leap into a boundless "space", no waypoints, ceilings, walls, height, perceivable depth. Until at once again fully awake I am unable to participate in the decisions.

Some time ago I suggested that Lula friends might consider a trip to the Guggenheim or CA for an exhibit of the studies in Light by James Turrell. I was able to see that two of my grandchildren made it to Guggenheim on one of my visits. At the time I really did want to see through their eyes and perception what for them acquired reality. I took care not to mar them with any pre-information or opinion...just, "it might be fun to stop in here to see what's happening " in between the two shows with which  I had lured them.

The results were wildly satisfying as I watched notion upon notion obliterated with new realities. (as in watching as one found himself walking THROUGH what he had determined to be a wall which he had been offered the opportunity to "touch" for "temperature".)

How lucky am I to share their eyes and brain workings! Because the work that had been coming together then is now sorted across an upper floor, adjusted at no particular times during the day and night my dreams have become exceptionally vivid with this vast destination to which I travel in semi sleep/wake.

Your image snapped me to attention with an almost mystical secret jolt. I spread it large across a sun blinding white wall at the end of my studio...it became more so. All this coupled with the murmuring voice of an Indian climber being dragged frozen down Everest a year after his death there. (My mother-in-law too has been repeating to me, "don't let them kill me, I'm not dead yet", though I was there in her final days).

I have very little say about the workings within this skull, truth be known, most seem to take place in a vast swirl out of its bounds.

What I am trying to say here John, is that you have something quite amazing here. Don't allow it to go missing. Just off in the upper right quadrant is a passage to unknown, yet to be experienced, but holding an exceptional waiting light~

Perhaps I should apologize, but just can not. Thank you for sharing it. Lumine!!

(edited for punctuation)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:17:42 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 184   Go Up