Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad X1D - First Impressions  (Read 38607 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: Hasselblad X1D - First Impressions
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2017, 03:00:57 pm »

##My comments below

Alex

Questions about the X1D:

Is there a way to turn Live View on and have it remain on? It keeps turning off, which is a hassle.
## I'm not sure if the value specified in General / Power & Timeouts / Display Off affects live view. I'm under the impression live view timeout is a set value. Need to test to verify.

That seems to leave Live View on.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

rent

• Alex Jiang Photography
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2017, 09:38:02 pm »

I can confirm that regardless of the value set in General / Power & Timeouts / Display Off, Live View on LCD screen times out at 15 seconds from last operation (dials dialed, shutter half-pressed, etc). This really needs to be a longer, preferably configurable value.

Alex

That seems to leave Live View on.

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 01:53:41 am »

Headed out over the mountains from San Diego into the Anza Borrego desert to do some more camera testing and check out the wildflowers that are still in bloom. The wind was gusting at over 60 mph - which cut short my day, but I still got some workable photos.

I'm really enjoying shooting with this camera. It's not as convenient to use as my XT2 with its pop out LCD and wider range of lens options. (Once I get the converter, I'll be able to use my HC lenses including the 28mm which is perfect for this kind of work.) I wore a different set of sunglasses today than the day that I wrote my initial report. This time I didn't have a problem with my polarized sunglasses blocking out the EVF. The viewfinder is still dim with my shades, but it's usable. The sharpness and detail of these images is impressive. Very user friendly files with plenty of DR. Easy to pull detail out of the shadows and knock down the highlights.

The focus magnification was really helpful a number of times today. When I'd go in close for a tight shot, I'd manually focus so that I could see a tight crop of the image and really nail my focus. There's times with the H5 when I'm just sort of guessing on the focus (same with the D810; it back focuses too).

I'd love to see a profile in Lightroom for the lens. The vignetting can be difficult to remove with the available adjustments.

John
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:05:27 am by Juanito »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2017, 03:25:49 pm »

I am very pleased with the iQ of the images from the Hasselblad X1D. Here is one with the 90mm.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Rdmax

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2017, 08:59:37 am »

So... anyone had to pick between the X1D and GFX?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2017, 09:07:51 am »

Sure, I had both systems and had to decide. The GFX had all the bells and whistles, but the X1D had the IQ that I need. So I returned the GFX.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Hasselblad X1D - First Impressions
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2017, 12:57:07 pm »

Other way around here. Used both for a week. Saw that the X1D has to many problems or let's say inconveniences for me and no value benefit. The GFX is fun to use. Has good IQ and has some far more interesting lens choices.

(I have to add that I shoot mainly with an IQ3100 on a XF and IQ180 on my Arca)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2017, 03:56:58 pm »

I owned both, and have now returned the GFX after shooting with it for 30 days alongside the X1D. For me, the choice between these two camera systems turned out to be very easy to make, and should be quite obvious to anyone who picks up an X1D and a GFX side-by-side and tries the different lenses. The DNA of both cameras is fundamentally different. The most important thing to me is the form factor.  I already have a Hasselblad H2 with a Phase IQ 180 back and a full complement of Hasselblad lenses. I do not look forward to travelling with it. I look forward to hiking with it even less. So, as a more portable alternative to the H2 system, I wanted... a more portable alternative. A medium format system that is small, light, easy to carry, and simple to operate, with minimal knobs, buttons and menu options. That is the X1D. The GFX body is heavier and much bulkier. The lenses are even bulkier. The user interface on the GFX and all of those buttons and dials are a turn off to me. I would forget after three  weeks which button and which dial controlled which function, and have to relearn it. OTOH, there are others that love all of that stuff and dislike the minimalism of the X1D. 
If the image quality or the lenses with the GFX were superior to the X1D, or if better software options were available for the GFX, my decision may have been different, but that was not the case. There will be endless arguments comparing the color from the two systems, high ISO performance, lens performance at 250% magnification, etc. Everyone will have an opinion, but at the end of the day it's personal and I don't think anyone is going to convince anyone that the X1D is a dog and the the GFX is fabulous, or vice versa. Those opinions are personal and subjective. As it turned out, the one area where I thought the GFX would have an advantage that would have been important to me is the EVF. The GFX EVF has much better specs on paper, but in practice the X1D EVF is actually better. The EVF for the GFX shimmers, which is very distracting to me. More significantly, the magnified live view of the GFX EVF is poorly implemented. Try it with both cameras. The difference is readily apparent. Of all the "features" that a mirrorless camera offers, the single, most important feature to me is the ability to accurately focus the lenses using magnified live view.
Lens lineup? Hasselblad has released 3 lenses so far. A 30mm, a 45mm and a 90mm. They are superb lenses. Four more have been announced. A 120mm Macro, a 65mm, a 22mm and a 35-75mm zoom. I expect that those lenses will also be superb. That's a pretty complete lineup for my needs. Fairly comparable to Fuji's announced lenses for the GFX. I am sure Fuji will fill out its lens lineup with a bunch of other lenses that are f/2 or f/2.8 lenses or zooms and are the size of bazookas. I have zero interest in such lenses.
One other thing. The X1D is the most beautifully designed and enjoyable to operate camera that I have used in over 50 years of photography. It is a joy to use. The GFX is a very workmanlike camera system. It can get the job done. However, there was no particular pleasure in using it. Sort of like the difference between driving a 911 and a minivan. Both will get you from point A to point B, but they are very different experiences.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2017, 08:00:34 pm »

This is getting interesting... seems like we have a draw. ;) The truth is that these 2 cameras have a lot it common, but also enough differences that they will appeal to different people.

The GFX is a standalone system that is designed to attract APS-C of FX shooters to replace their current line up, while the X1D is IMHO more a second system for people already owning something else.

As far as I am concerned though, I have just read the very positive review of the GFX at Preview, but to me the most relevant part is the conclusion that you can get 90% of the performance of it with a a7RII, D810, 5DRs... those bodies being due for replacement and offering a wider set of lenses options, better AF,...

Not trying to convince anyone, I may get a X1D at some point of time... or an X2D more probably if I can afford it then. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Rdmax

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2017, 09:00:37 pm »

This is getting interesting... seems like we have a draw. ;) The truth is that these 2 cameras have a lot it common, but also enough differences that they will appeal to different people.

The GFX is a standalone system that is designed to attract APS-C of FX shooters to replace their current line up, while the X1D is IMHO more a second system for people already owning something else.

As far as I am concerned though, I have just read the very positive review of the GFX at Preview, but to me the most relevant part is the conclusion that you can get 90% of the performance of it with a a7RII, D810, 5DRs... those bodies being due for replacement and offering a wider set of lenses options, better AF,...

Not trying to convince anyone, I may get a X1D at some point of time... or an X2D more probably if I can afford it then. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

That 10% is so worth it tho

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2017, 09:05:43 pm »

That 10% is so worth it tho

The perception thereof will determine the decision to invest or not 15,000 US$ in the GFX/X1D.

Owning both a H6D-100c and D810, I am personally not convinced that a 33x44mm sensor will be that valuable compared to a good FX body with great lenses such as the Otus series, but great if you can see a difference justifying the investement. ;) I can fully understand the desire to move to MF, and I was myself very close at some point in time to cancel my H6D order and go for a X1D instead, but I now realize that this was an attempt to cut the costs while still feeling MF...

I am fully convinced that the GFX and X1D are great cameras in their own right, but that we need to be realistic about what they offer relative to other options.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:37:22 pm by BernardLanguillier »

dantemi

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2017, 04:16:18 am »

Very uncertain between X1D and GFX though in the last 4 days I've started leaning towards the Hasselblad mainly due its color/tonal response and its being an essential photographic tool, not overloaded with a billion of functions and set up (a sort of Leica M approach).
Though I can perceive that the GFW has some clear advantages in terms of (tilting) lcd and evf. So it surprises me to hear that the X1D evf looks better but that's a good news.

The other concern is the reported sluggishness of the Af and the overall system. Can someone report on this?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2017, 04:36:06 am »

For me, the choice between GFX and X1D turned on the lenses, which I must admit I am sensitive to. The native GFX lenses I had were nothing special, while the native lenses for the X1D were good enough. The X1D lenses were not Otus level, but they managed to impress me. And the color tone on the X1D, which is a little reserved IMO, was just what I need to build on. And there was the fact that when I adapted the Zeiss Otus series to the GFX, I was just not impressed by the results. I had given up on the X!D, canceled my order after waiting seven months, and bought the GFX. But when to my eyes saw the results (the images) I took with the GFX were really not any better than what I can get with the Nikoin D810 at base ISO of 64, I had a moment of truth. I can't speak to street or sport photography, since I don't do it.

In my case, the Hasselblad X1D is a second camera, opening up new vistas (anything's possible) for me, while the GFX appeared to me as a replacement or another attempt at what I already have with the Nikon D810, which I continue to use. Plus, the haptics were worse IMO than the D810 (which I like). Everything about the GFX seemed less than what I expected from so expensive a system, while the X1D met those expectations.

dantemi

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2017, 05:08:33 am »

Michael thanks a lot for your opinion.
I just sold all my canon equipment and the X1D/GFX would be my only camera (apart from my X100f), that's why I'm carefully evaluating my next step.
I don't do sport photography so the fastest AF is not a priority provided that it is enough to work under normal conditions...

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2017, 05:16:57 am »

Michael thanks a lot for your opinion.
I just sold all my canon equipment and the X1D/GFX would be my only camera (apart from my X100f), that's why I'm carefully evaluating my next step.
I don't do sport photography so the fastest AF is not a priority provided that it is enough to work under normal conditions...

Because of having (relatively) a lot of Nikon F-mount lenses, I continue to value my Nikon D810 and use it all the time. The X1D has quality lenses above that of the native GFX lenses (to my eyes). And the color with the X1D is very refined on Adobe ACR as far as I can see. I do need a closer lens (the coming macro) for the X1D, but I can work with this camera. It does what I need done.

Rdmax

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2017, 10:21:41 am »

For me, the choice between GFX and X1D turned on the lenses, which I must admit I am sensitive to. The native GFX lenses I had were nothing special, while the native lenses for the X1D were good enough. The X1D lenses were not Otus level, but they managed to impress me. And the color tone on the X1D, which is a little reserved IMO, was just what I need to build on. And there was the fact that when I adapted the Zeiss Otus series to the GFX, I was just not impressed by the results. I had given up on the X!D, canceled my order after waiting seven months, and bought the GFX. But when to my eyes saw the results (the images) I took with the GFX were really not any better than what I can get with the Nikoin D810 at base ISO of 64, I had a moment of truth. I can't speak to street or sport photography, since I don't do it.

In my case, the Hasselblad X1D is a second camera, opening up new vistas (anything's possible) for me, while the GFX appeared to me as a replacement or another attempt at what I already have with the Nikon D810, which I continue to use. Plus, the haptics were worse IMO than the D810 (which I like). Everything about the GFX seemed less than what I expected from so expensive a system, while the X1D met those expectations.

Do you mean that the D810+Otus is superior than the X1D+Lenses?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2017, 01:53:22 pm »

Do you mean that the D810+Otus is superior than the X1D+Lenses?

No. They are two different cameras and are good at different things, IMO. I do my technical camera work with the D810 because I have all the lenses setup up for that mount. I do my "exploring" with the Hasselblad X1d... and am learning what I can do, but also waiting for their macro lens in June-ish to really find out.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2017, 03:44:20 pm »

Yes they are. As is any Leica r Apo to any gfx lens.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2017, 01:51:15 am »

Here are a few other comments after having used the Hasselblad X1D for a while:

I did a series of test shots using my D810 and the Otus 85mm lens as compared to using the X1d with the 90mm lens. While there is no question in my mind that the D810/Otus is better (and the X1D is less sharp, etc.), the difference with the X1D is not enough to make me “dislike” the performance of the X1D. It is good enough for what I do, which (to me) is saying something.

There is a quality to shooting with the X1D that (I guess) I like. It is quite different than using the D810/Otus and I am working on getting used to that difference. Operationally, I am used to (and like) the D810 and I find trying to return to LiveView after taking a photo with the X1D not a fun experience. I would rather have a dedicated button (or the ability to assign one) so that I have a 100% positive press, rather that pussyfooting around to make sure I don’t take a photo when I only want to have LiveView again.

I have gotten used to using the 2 sec. timer instead of a hard-wired remote, so that is not a problem. I don’t like the focus-by-wire method of the X1D lenses, but I do like the results of X1D Focusing, which are clear and positive, so I can live with that.

I am still trying to decide whether I like the overall look of the IQ with the X1D. It is “bright” and a bit transparent compared to the more “viscous” look of the Nikon D810. As Obama said to Hilary Clinton “You’re liable enough, Hilary.” I am leaning in that direction with the “look” of the X1D. I can learn to use it for what I need and that is a form of “liking it,” IMO.

The form factor and haptics are perfect, and the magnesium body is really a chunk. The lenses are not too big, although I am preparing myself for the shock of the much larger 120mm macro, after having owned a Hasselblad HC 120mm. The macro lens is what I miss right now with the X1D, because I need to get a little closer. I find myself liking the X1d and seem to be preparing a kit to take this little camera on the road. However, I have learned to like my D810 even more than I used to after my experience with the Pentax K1, the Fuji GFX, and now the X1D.

dantemi

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2017, 06:08:54 am »

Michael: what's about the "MF look" which is said to render better the tridimensionality of the image? Can you perceive that (in relation to the look coming out from the D810) or not at all?
For me, the sharpness is not the goal as I rather prefer a more 3-d look provided by the tonal response and the gradual transition from black to white areas.
Thanks!   

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up