Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad X1D - First Impressions  (Read 38732 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: Hasselblad X1D - First Impressions
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2017, 06:52:20 am »

Michael: what's about the "MF look" which is said to render better the tridimensionality of the image? Can you perceive that (in relation to the look coming out from the D810) or not at all?
For me, the sharpness is not the goal as I rather prefer a more 3-d look provided by the tonal response and the gradual transition from black to white areas.
Thanks!   

The style of the lens, for me, gives (or does not give) the dimensionality of the lens. What I look for in MF is accutance, micro-contrast, and more light, etc. (whatever terms you want to use). I expect a MF to have those qualities over the FF sensor. However, lots of things are involved, including that it looks like the Nikon D810 (perhaps) did something in hardware/firmware to make their Blacks stand up better. I don't know the details, but I know what I see.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Rdmax

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2017, 11:49:09 am »

It seems the X1D has the sensor of the already amazing H5D, so technically the IQ is better than D810.
But it's really slow and difficult to use. I don't think it's as versatile as the Nikon...

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2017, 12:48:21 pm »

It seems the X1D has the sensor of the already amazing H5D, so technically the IQ is better than D810.
But it's really slow and difficult to use. I don't think it's as versatile as the Nikon...

For me, it's "Horses for Courses;" I still am using my Nikon D810 for all kinds of things, but the X1D i am going to try to make a "traveling" camera. Time will tell.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

SrMi

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2017, 02:12:35 pm »

Yes, D810 is one of the most flexible cameras: wildlife, landscape, street, ... I have unfortunately never used D810 with Otus lenses, but have heard that the results are astounding. Micheal's comparison is very interesting. Funny how an MF system is lighter and cheaper (at least the lenses) than a 35mm one :-).

I do not feel that X1D is slow or difficult to use. Yes, it takes a long time to turn on, but once in "sleep" it is instantly ready. Together with Leica M and Q it is one of the easiest cameras to use, IMHO.

NickT

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2017, 07:21:34 pm »

I would agree, I own a D810 alongside my Hasselblads (and soon an X1D). In my 25 years of shooting professionally I have never found one camera that would do everything and I don't think that will ever be the case. Different cameras for different jobs/approaches and they produce different results (partly due to form factor).

dantemi

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2017, 09:57:40 am »

I can't really understand if the camera is really slow or just slow in comparison with a DsLR.
I don't expect its AF to be nikon/canon like, so the question is: does its AF impair its use under normal conditions? Internet (FB X1D user group) is full of people complaining about its slow AF and the impossibility to get the focus right.
Thanks for your answers       

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2017, 10:08:54 am »

I never (or seldom) use AF, so I know little about it. I am worried more, at this point, by manual focus.

I ’m caught between the devil and the deep-blue sea, with the X1D and the D810. For example, I do a test indoors in a room with not too much light. And I focus on a particular object and shoot (for each camera) at f/16, f/8, and f/3.2.

Well, with Live View on the D810 (Otus 85) I can hardly see (I can’t see!) to focus clearly in LiveView and I need the Z-finder even to do that. While, with the LiveView on the X1D (90mm), I can actually see to focus.

As for results, the D810/Otis is sharper and the X1D/90mm is less sharp, but still just sharp enough to be usable. The problem with focusing on the X1D, if I press the magnify button it goes up to a certain point, but no farther. There may be a way to go to a higher maginfication, but I have not found it (I probably have not yet found a lot of things on the X1D). And the focus-by-wire on the X1D is so touchy that even the slightest move is often too much, but I “CAN” do it. I can focus.

In the above case, the ability to focus and see in LiveView on the X1D makes it the camera for this particular “darker” environment, simply because the D810 can’t really see. Yes, I could get a flashlight to focus with and then turn it off, but there is a point where the work being done is not worth the work being done, etc.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 10:13:41 am by Michael Erlewine »

dantemi

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2017, 10:49:46 am »

Michael can you post some similar shots taken with the D810 and the X1d so to understand the difference you are referring to? 

SrMi

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2017, 10:54:20 am »

I can't really understand if the camera is really slow or just slow in comparison with a DsLR.
I don't expect its AF to be nikon/canon like, so the question is: does its AF impair its use under normal conditions? Internet (FB X1D user group) is full of people complaining about its slow AF and the impossibility to get the focus right.
Thanks for your answers     

AF speed is not a problem for me. Maybe because I run X1D in MF mode with back-button focus (same way I work with all of my cameras). The AF speed may bother you more if you couple it to the shutter button. Do not have any problems getting autofocus right.
Best advice would be to try it out yourself.

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2017, 10:59:42 am »

I've posted a more complete review of the X1D on my Medium page. It may not be technical enough for many of you, but it covers a more of my experience and thoughts on this camera.

In my experience, the camera does a great job at focusing. The AF is pretty darn good most of the time. Manual focus is fantastic. The zoom feature on the EVF allows for spot on focusing and it's really easy to use. Focus is much more reliable than that of my H5 and my D810.

I haven't done a head to head comparison between the D810 and the X1D for sharpness, but in looking at the files, there's a level of detail and sharpness there that I'm not used to seeing in my Nikon files.

The one big drawback to the Hasselblad however: The service. If you have to send your camera off to Sweden for repairs, you're screwed. My H5 has been out of my hands for going on three months now due to a damaged IR filter. It's supposedly awaiting a QC check before getting sent out - but it's been in that status now for two weeks. It's completely ridiculous that a company that specializes in professional cameras can have a repair system that keeps cameras out of the hands of working pros for so long. This just tells me that they're underinvested in service likely because they are trying to save money. This is not a good sign in regards to the health of the company. It also really sucks if you're photographer trying to do your job.   >:(

If you're on the fence between the two cameras (Fuji and Hasselblad), consider that you can easily go a quarter of the year or longer without your camera if your Hasselblad goes down. Not sure about Fuji but I've never heard of such stories from their repair department.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2017, 11:00:25 am »

Michael can you post some similar shots taken with the D810 and the X1d so to understand the difference you are referring to?

It's not the resulting images; I can live with that. It is here the process of taking them with the poor LiveView of the D810 as compared with the Live View of the X1D.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2017, 11:03:02 am »

I haven't done a head to head comparison between the D810 and the X1D for sharpness, but in looking at the files, there's a level of detail and sharpness there that I'm not used to seeing in my Nikon files.

Depends on the lenses you are using. I am using the Zeiss Otus series and they are definitely better than files produced with the lenses I have (90mm and 45mm) on the X1D.

dantemi

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2017, 11:16:10 am »

Thanks for your feedback, I feel better now ;D

Next Saturday, I'll test both the GFX and the X1D for a couple of hours. My aim is to support my decision to put my money on Hasselblad.
As to the camera service, at present I can't comment; btw I'm from Italy and hopefully the closer you are the less it takes the repair service;) 

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2017, 12:58:07 pm »

The problem with focusing on the X1D, if I press the magnify button it goes up to a certain point, but no farther. There may be a way to go to a higher maginfication, but I have not found it (I probably have not yet found a lot of things on the X1D). And the focus-by-wire on the X1D is so touchy that even the slightest move is often too much, but I “CAN” do it. I can focus.

Go to the General Settings section of the Menu system. Select Display, then Live View. Under Zoom Level, you can check 50% or 100%. Select 100%.
NTB: By pressing the Soft Button marked with the * next to the LCD when you are in Live View, you can go into and out of Magnified Live view without touching the focus ring on the lens.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:17:46 pm by hcubell »

Rdmax

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2017, 02:52:26 pm »

Depends on the lenses you are using. I am using the Zeiss Otus series and they are definitely better than files produced with the lenses I have (90mm and 45mm) on the X1D.

What *are* you shooting that makes the D810's sensor better than the X1D?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2017, 05:36:22 pm »

What *are* you shooting that makes the D810's sensor better than the X1D?

I keep saying that it is the "lenses," not the sensor.

Brad P

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2017, 11:32:59 pm »

I am likely about to switch my main camera platform to either the X1D or GFX and have been reading just about everything I can on the Internet (and looking at images) before buying into one or the other platform.  As a result, I am beginning to become a believer that the X1D is superior for my needs (landscapes, short hikes, macros, a little street work).

BUT one big thing weighing on my mind is future proofing.  Having flipped around from Nikon, Canon and Sony over the years, I know well there's real costs and inconveniences from switching -- lenses, flashes, L plates, mechanics, etc.

In this regard, in a recent interview with Hassleblad's CEO, Perry Oosting about the X1D (see http://www.digitalrev.com/article/everything-you-need-to-know-about-hasselblads-new-x1d), Mr. Oosting stated "We have no plans to put [a 100MP sensor] into that camera.  So the existing 100-MP sensor on the market will remain as an exclusive for the H6D-100C."  The implication, to me at least, is that Hasselblad may not soon if ever upgrade the camera back to higher resolutions.   On the contrary, Fuji states explicitly that their new GFX lenses are designed for 100 megapixel sensors (see e.g., http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/gfx/fujinon_lens_gf63mmf28_r_wr/), the implication seemingly being that they plan to offer 100MP backs in the future. 

That is perhaps the main issue holding me back from the H1D.   We buy into systems, not cameras.  And granted currently the Hassy may have somewhat better IQ (everything to me), but from images I've scrutinized, it's not all THAT much better, especially given headaches a year or two from now I might suffer when Fuji comes out with a 100MP back and Hasselblad stands pat.   

Anyone else struggling with this one?   

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2017, 11:48:09 pm »

In this regard, in a recent interview with Hassleblad's CEO, Perry Oosting about the X1D (see http://www.digitalrev.com/article/everything-you-need-to-know-about-hasselblads-new-x1d), Mr. Oosting stated "We have no plans to put [a 100MP sensor] into that camera.  So the existing 100-MP sensor on the market will remain as an exclusive for the H6D-100C."  The implication, to me at least, is that Hasselblad may not soon if ever upgrade the camera back to higher resolutions. 

At this moment Fuji has no 100MP back Camera as Hasselblad does with the 32.000$ Hasselblad H6D-100c. I can imagine Perry Oosting does not want to cannibalize the sale of this camera.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rdmax

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2017, 12:15:03 am »

I am likely about to switch my main camera platform to either the X1D or GFX and have been reading just about everything I can on the Internet (and looking at images) before buying into one or the other platform.  As a result, I am beginning to become a believer that the X1D is superior for my needs (landscapes, short hikes, macros, a little street work).

BUT one big thing weighing on my mind is future proofing.  Having flipped around from Nikon, Canon and Sony over the years, I know well there's real costs and inconveniences from switching -- lenses, flashes, L plates, mechanics, etc.

In this regard, in a recent interview with Hassleblad's CEO, Perry Oosting about the X1D (see http://www.digitalrev.com/article/everything-you-need-to-know-about-hasselblads-new-x1d), Mr. Oosting stated "We have no plans to put [a 100MP sensor] into that camera.  So the existing 100-MP sensor on the market will remain as an exclusive for the H6D-100C."  The implication, to me at least, is that Hasselblad may not soon if ever upgrade the camera back to higher resolutions.   On the contrary, Fuji states explicitly that their new GFX lenses are designed for 100 megapixel sensors (see e.g., http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/gfx/fujinon_lens_gf63mmf28_r_wr/), the implication seemingly being that they plan to offer 100MP backs in the future. 

That is perhaps the main issue holding me back from the H1D.   We buy into systems, not cameras.  And granted currently the Hassy may have somewhat better IQ (everything to me), but from images I've scrutinized, it's not all THAT much better, especially given headaches a year or two from now I might suffer when Fuji comes out with a 100MP back and Hasselblad stands pat.   

Anyone else struggling with this one?

Might consider the GFX system when Fuji releases central shutter feature for flash sync.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2017, 12:26:27 am »

What he was saying is that the large MF sensor used in the H6D-100c will never fit in the X1D.

He was not commenting on possible use of future higher resolution sensors in the 33x44mm format. sony has just announced a plan to release a 100 mp 33x44mm sensor and I am sure that it will be in the X2D when available... and also in the GFX.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up