Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Japanese Kozo Thin Paper Availability  (Read 16488 times)

Richard Man

• Richard Man Photography
Re: Epson Japanese Kozo Thin Paper Availability
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2018, 08:08:08 am »

Kevin, if you are willing to sell me what you have for a fair price (starving artist and all), I will take them. Of course I understand if you want to save them for yourself.

Thanks
// richard
[url=http://richardmanphoto.c

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 09:51:35 am »

I am not sure I want to seel as I really enjoy the paper.  I am going to inquire about some sources I know about the availability or stock of this paper.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 11:09:19 am »

Mark,
An outstanding post,I thank you.

How does the average printer,obtain these types of paper,,Moab?,Epson?
And,is it worth it?

MikeS.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2018, 01:30:11 pm »

Mark,
An outstanding post,I thank you.

How does the average printer,obtain these types of paper,,Moab?,Epson?
And,is it worth it?

MikeS.

Mike, if I'm the "Mark" you are talking to, not clear which post you have in mind, and I had dropped the topic of course as the thread died about 10 months ago before it was resurrected the other day. I do have a roll of this, which I just haven't manage to work with yet but I still intend to do so.

As for availability, I don't know where you live so can't advise specifically, but if the papers you need/want are not available from your local sales outlets, there is always on-line ordering from various paper suppliers and general photographic merchandise sellers. You'd need to do a search to see which works best for you in terms of product and delivered cost.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

BrianWJH

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2018, 05:53:47 pm »

I have a couple projects in the next few months that I need to make 60-80 24" prints. So I was going to order 10 rolls, and to my surprise, it appears that the paper has been discontinued.

I am really devastated by this. I have just perfecting wet-mounting Kozo print on traditional rice paper, to really show off its translucent quality, and now.... unless somehow there remaining rolls available for affordable prices, I must look for lesser alternatives.

Richard, you might try this source, not sure if price and shipping might be issues, good luck with the project.

Brian.

Richard Man

• Richard Man Photography
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 06:17:07 pm »

Richard, you might try this source, not sure if price and shipping might be issues, good luck with the project.

Brian.

Thank you Brian, sent them an inquiry. I am afraid that I will have to do my projects with other paper. Sigh.

I have talked to Gary, the inventor of the paper. The prognosis does not look good. This literally is the best paper ever...
// richard
[url=http://richardmanphoto.c

Rado

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 07:54:40 pm »

What a shame. This is/was a very interesting paper.

deanwork

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2018, 09:33:15 pm »

It certainly is .... and let's hope that Gary finds another distributor for this exceptionally perfect paper. It was clearly created as a labor of love and hard work on his part. Maybe Hahnemühle, Legion,  or some other serious company will pick it up. In the meantime, thank you Gary for showing us what can be done when something is designed for all the right reasons.

John

Thank you Brian, sent them an inquiry. I am afraid that I will have to do my projects with other paper. Sigh.

I have talked to Gary, the inventor of the paper. The prognosis does not look good. This literally is the best paper ever...

_BillJackson_

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2018, 10:43:04 pm »

I believe that Epson Kozo is available from German sources. That’s how English Amazon gets theirs. If Amazon does not work for you, then approach German vendors directly. If your German is rusty, not to worry, they all speak English.

deanwork

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2018, 08:30:46 am »

There is only one roll of 24" left on German Amazon and one roll of 17" on U.K. website.

I believe that Epson Kozo is available from German sources. That’s how English Amazon gets theirs. If Amazon does not work for you, then approach German vendors directly. If your German is rusty, not to worry, they all speak English.

Rado

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2018, 11:38:01 am »

So with LULA's "Back to print" theme - where do situations like this leave us? When papers you use disappear or change? Last year the whole Harman line was discontinued and as far as I know only the non-warm baryta got a reincarnated version. I've read on this forum about some Canson papers changing significantly and now Kozo's gone. It's not a happy development...

MHMG

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2018, 12:42:41 pm »

So with LULA's "Back to print" theme - where do situations like this leave us? When papers you use disappear or change? Last year the whole Harman line was discontinued and as far as I know only the non-warm baryta got a reincarnated version. I've read on this forum about some Canson papers changing significantly and now Kozo's gone. It's not a happy development...

It could indeed be an indication of an overall declining market for fine art printing both at the professional and amateur level, or simply that the media market was overcrowded with me-too products. Market competition probably doesn't apply to the Epson Japanese Kozo paper, however. It was pretty unique.  I have already adjusted to the trends here at Aardenburg Imaging. No new light fade tests are planned for calendar year 2018. Existing projects will be largely completed by the end of the year. After that, who knows.

kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:49:31 pm by MHMG »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2018, 01:07:59 pm »

A sentence came to mind:

Permanence is not part of modern society.

Not that it helps any. Sorry.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2018, 02:21:38 pm »

LuLa's back to the print theme doesn't depend on the availability of specific media. It's a generic proposition suggesting that putting photographs on paper (of which there are many really good ones) is a fine art that deserves to be encouraged, and not lost in the on-rush of online photo-sharing, which also has a place of its own. "Back to the Print" doesn't become any less valid or relevant because one niche paper gets discontinued, undoubtedly due to to commercial considerations as unfortunate as that may be. 

deanwork

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2018, 06:13:59 pm »

The Harmon Warmtone Baryta was never a popular paper. Both it and the regular Harmon Baryta scratched and jammed horribly in all of our printers due to the extreme curling of both rolls and sheets. I would average one damaged print for every two I made. Besides that,  Harmon was bought out by Hahnemühle. I don't even know why Hah is making the regular high gloss baryta again. I don't think it is going to sell for the same reason it didn't do well before.

As to the Epson Kozo Thin, they never even gave it a chance. They didn't promote it, other than some utube videos that no one I know even saw. And it was never released in North  America. It's like they wanted it to fail from the beginning. Awagami has been making great consistently make kozo and various kozo blends for inkjet for 10 years and I use it all the time. Hiromi in LA also has some great Asian papers to choose from and their coating has gotten much better last time I tried it.

Hahnemühle has been super consistent with all their major fine art papers too numerous to mention. They are actually selling more fine art media of high quality than I have time to even test. Canson after they were sold to Legion, is having problems with Rag Photographique but maybe that is temporary. The Platine is fine.

We've got a wide variety of smaller companies trying to grab market share as well, such as Red River, Breathing Color,  Lexjet, innova, Moab, Ilford inkjet, etc, . And you've got the big printer companies Canon, HP, and Epson selling rebranded Canson and other good stuff.  I choose Hahnemuhle for the most part because almost all of their media not only is always available but I never see any changes. Their quality control is superb over the 16 years I've used it.

John

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2018, 06:18:38 pm »

............... Canson after they were sold to Legion,............

John

Actually F.I.L.A of Italy acquired Canson. http://en.canson.com/news/canson-becomes-part-fila

Legion paper is the North American distributor: http://thedeadpixelssociety.com/legion-paper-to-distribute-canson-infinity-papers/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:23:11 pm by Mark D Segal »

deanwork

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2018, 06:57:48 pm »

You are correct.

I just checked my notes. I'm not sure who is doing the coating on the  Rag
Photographique now because something has changed but so far Platine has not changed. Not sure about Edition Etching, because I haven't used it lately.

Actually F.I.L.A of Italy acquired Canson. http://en.canson.com/news/canson-becomes-part-fila

Legion paper is the North American distributor: http://thedeadpixelssociety.com/legion-paper-to-distribute-canson-infinity-papers/

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2018, 07:04:58 pm »

Could be a mill in the UK, but I'm not certain. In any case, it shouldn't matter. To maintain brand allegiance and reliability of profiles, appearance etc. the recipe should be maintained regardless of brand name ownership changes, unless there was something wrong with it beforehand or some huge quality improvement.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2018, 06:41:07 am »

You are correct.

I just checked my notes. I'm not sure who is doing the coating on the  Rag
Photographique now because something has changed but so far Platine has not changed. Not sure about Edition Etching, because I haven't used it lately.

You can bet that the Platine still is ordered from Felix Schoeller, like every distributor does.  The Canson FILA switch has been discussed before, FILA owns the UK mill for Somerset papers too right now. http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=118824.0

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

deanwork

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2018, 09:07:17 am »

Yes my supplier said Epson has been buying Platine from Canson but that agreement just ran out so they are going directly to Schoeller themselves from now on for the coating...with the paper still being made in France but owned by the Italian company. ? Global commerce is a complicated thing. 

And the Rag Photographique is being coated by Legion, apparently with the paper still being made in France. Probably same situation for Edition Etching.

Don't know who makes the Canson and Epson Baryta papers. But I don't use them.

You can bet that the Platine still is ordered from Felix Schoeller, like every distributor does.  The Canson FILA switch has been discussed before, FILA owns the UK mill for Somerset papers too right now. http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=118824.0

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up