Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Some reflections on the Hasselblad X1D  (Read 43135 times)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: Some reflections on the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2016, 11:02:03 pm »

I'd like to say a couple of things. I believe this outstanding attention for the X1D is because it is the first mirrorless medium format camera and not because the early announcement. Second, on behalf of technical camera photogs, I think they may have to adapt. Mirrorless cams are the new backs.

Eduardo

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2016, 01:46:44 am »

Another question, no discussed yet in these parts, is that impact of the X1D on other bodies using the same sensor.

Considering the price points of the X1D, H6D-50 and H6D-100, it seems very clear to me that Hassy will sell few H6D-50 at its current price point. Their policy to provide temporary H6D-50 till the 100 is available means that they will soon have a large stock of 50 bodies coming back to them that they may sell as refurbished bodies at a cheaper price as well. Anothet reason not to buy an H6D-50.

What does it mean for P1 and the sales of the IQ3-50?

Cheers,
Bernard

NickT

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2016, 03:15:51 am »

I think that these are two different streams

I shoot with an H6D50 and a D810. I'm also going to get an X1D. I'm not a wealthy amateur (although amateurs are great), I'm a working pro, doing ok at the moment.

H6d lives in the studio, tethered, live view all of that.

D810 (D800 backup) is my run and gun high ISO high frame rate camera. I like it but I don't get quite as good results as I get with my 'blads. I'm not a Nikon expert.

I am so excited about the X1D because I think this will be my travel/walk around camera.

I think I'll be back to the 5X4, 6X6, 35mm days with this combo.

Bottom line, do what works for you.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2016, 03:35:06 am »

I think I'll be back to the 5X4, 6X6, 35mm days with this combo.

You mean,
- 4x5 -> H6D
- 6x6 -> X1D
- 35mm -> D810

?

Cheers,
Bernard

NickT

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2016, 03:53:26 am »

Yes I think that's pretty much it for me. I'm sure others will have different ideas.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2016, 04:08:11 am »

Yes I think that's pretty much it for me. I'm sure others will have different ideas.

Interesting thanks.

This is in fact very close to what I have in mind, but we'll see.

I would think that a MS version of the H6D with the new 100mp sensor will be released at some point in time, this may turn your mapping table into:

- 8x10 -> H6D-100 MS

;)

Cheers,
Bernard

hubell

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2016, 09:23:00 am »

Hi,

I would guess that 100+ MP is coming on the 44x33 mm sensors pretty soon. Rumours on 72-75 MP on full frame 24x36 seem to be quite solid and that would scale to around 125MP on 44x33.

Best regards
Erik

"Pretty soon"? Do you think that Hasselblad would be releasing a new camera with a sensor that was dated within a relatively short period of time after release? I have to assume that Hasselblad has very good information from Sony as to the future roadmap for medium format sensors.
No doubt there will be a major upgrade of the 44x33 mm Sony sensor at some point in the future. More MP, excellent on-sensor AF, and EFCS. My guess is that's 2-3 years down the road. Anybody thinking about buying an X1D has to go into it with their eyes open. That has always been the unfortunate reality of buying digital cameras.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2016, 11:48:39 am »

"Pretty soon"? Do you think that Hasselblad would be releasing a new camera with a sensor that was dated within a relatively short period of time after release? I have to assume that Hasselblad has very good information from Sony as to the future roadmap for medium format sensors.
No doubt there will be a major upgrade of the 44x33 mm Sony sensor at some point in the future. More MP, excellent on-sensor AF, and EFCS. My guess is that's 2-3 years down the road. Anybody thinking about buying an X1D has to go into it with their eyes open. That has always been the unfortunate reality of buying digital cameras.

I believe that it could be sooner than that, but that doesn't change a thing. The pictures you won't be taking because you wait will be a million times worse than those of photographers investing today in an X1D.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2016, 12:56:00 pm »

Hi,

Hasselblad is using the sensors that are available. Obviously, they could wait for the next generation Sony sensor, but that may be giving up business opportunities and possibly loss of market to a competitor, like the one beginning with an 'F' and ending with 'uji'.

Sony has an interesting solution. The original A7r is still available, at a significantly reduced price, while the A7rII is quite expensive. The A7r lacks modern features like EFCS and on sensor PDAF. The A7rII has it all, and a bit advantage in resolution, too.

Common sense says that Sony will implement PDAF and EFCS and some other tricks on MFD-sensors when those technologies are available.

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:31:12 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Ken R

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2016, 11:51:01 pm »

The Hasselblad X1D took about 20 months to develop so they needed to use a sensor that was available then. I am sure sony is working on a next gen MF sensor at the moment and Hasselblad on the X2D (or waiting on the next gen sensor). The development time of the X2D should be much less if thy use the same body. 12-18 months at the most. So I would expect it in 2 years or even less.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2016, 01:20:51 am »

Hi,

There are just two medium format sensors from Sony, the 50 MP and the 100 MP ones. I would speculate on new sensors coming.

I am quite sure that Sony has "road maps" for MFD sensors and that those "road maps" are known to their customers. So I would assume that Hasselblad's choice of 44x33 mm sensor size takes information on future sensors into account.

Best regards
Erik

The Hasselblad X1D took about 20 months to develop so they needed to use a sensor that was available then. I am sure sony is working on a next gen MF sensor at the moment and Hasselblad on the X2D (or waiting on the next gen sensor). The development time of the X2D should be much less if thy use the same body. 12-18 months at the most. So I would expect it in 2 years or even less.
Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2016, 02:10:26 am »

It seems pretty clear we're done with evolving sensor sizes. Both 33x44 and 41x54 are here to stay.

I would really suggest that P1, Hassy and Pentax sit around a table and define an official naming for these 2 sizes. This would take one incertainty out of the MF market and would help third party companies consider a long term investement in lenses.

I suggest the following and am willing to discuss the sharing of my IP. :)
- 33x44: MX
- 41x44: LX

Cheers,
Bernard

hjulenissen

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2016, 02:54:23 am »

It seems pretty clear we're done with evolving sensor sizes. Both 33x44 and 41x54 are here to stay.

I would really suggest that P1, Hassy and Pentax sit around a table and define an official naming for these 2 sizes. This would take one incertainty out of the MF market and would help third party companies consider a long term investement in lenses.

I suggest the following and am willing to discuss the sharing of my IP. :)
- 33x44: MX
- 41x44: LX

Cheers,
Bernard
Or we might make a suitable numerical range based on some anchor point (e.g. 24x36mm) and assuming that doubling the sensor area improves the potential results by one abstract "unit", as an alternative to the "crop factor". On the other hand, buyers might object to buying a "-4 size" camera.

area = [3*2.4 8.6*6.6 13.2*8.8 22.2*14.8 24*36 33*44 41*54 60*90 200*250];
anchor = 24*36;
log2(area./anchor)

ans =

-6.9069   -3.9281   -2.8949   -1.3949         0    0.7489    1.3576    2.6439    5.8548

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2016, 02:58:41 am »

Are you an Octave user?

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2016, 04:31:03 am »

Are you an Octave user?

Cheers,
Bernard

I swim with my eyes shut.

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2016, 05:24:15 am »

I swim with my eyes shut.

Absolutely, on the other hand, isn't using a toilet for disabled person ample proof of a mental handicap?

Cheers,
Bernard

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2016, 07:52:57 am »

I'd like to say a couple of things. I believe this outstanding attention for the X1D is because it is the first mirrorless medium format camera and not because the early announcement. Second, on behalf of technical camera photogs, I think they may have to adapt. Mirrorless cams are the new backs.

Eduardo

You may very well be right Eduardo, but not for me. The things that I like about a technical camera will not be replaced by the X1D. I am very interested in this camera (or maybe something similar from Fuji if that happens). But in my mind that will replace the a7rii, not the technical camera.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:12:46 am by dchew »

vjbelle

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2016, 08:01:23 am »

You may very well be right Eduardo, but not for me. The things that I like about a technical camera will not be replaced by the X1D. I am very interested in this camera (or maybe something similar from Fuji if that happens). But in my mind that will replace the a7rii, not the technical camera.

Dave.

Exactly..... can't imagine giving up my two tech cameras - Actus and STC.  The X1D is a transitional camera for the new wave of mirror less.  Good by clunky mirrors and hello future but my tech cameras will be with me forever.   

Rob C

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2016, 08:44:04 am »

Absolutely, on the other hand, isn't using a toilet for disabled person ample proof of a mental handicap?

Cheers,
Bernard

This would depend, surely, on whether the user is actually disabled, simply in a hurry, or forgets to lift the lid, should there be one.

I wouldn't like to believe there are definitive rules about this delicate subject. But then, there are lots of things about which I'd rather not believe, so I suppose I can't pin too much faith in wishes.

The important thing is to maintain a regular movement.

There's a tv commercial doing the rounds in the ex-UK at the mpoment, for a type of laxative I think, and their imagery shows a rough-barked tree thrusting upwards rapidly fom a hole in the ground. It's quite upsetting, to a sensitive person such as I.

Rob

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2016, 09:53:19 am »

There's a tv commercial doing the rounds in the ex-UK at the mpoment, for a type of laxative I think, and their imagery shows a rough-barked tree thrusting upwards rapidly fom a hole in the ground. It's quite upsetting, to a sensitive person such as I.

Indeed, probably an early side effect of the dislocation, nature taking back control.

I am really glad that nobody thinks this isn't right on topic btw, this shows how mature this board has become.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up