Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Some reflections on the Hasselblad X1D  (Read 43133 times)

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Some reflections on the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 02:13:42 pm »

Why is there yet another thread on the X1D, with the same chatter as the others, guessing as to how things will pan out?
There really isn't any active moderation on LuLa - there are always multiple threads on the same thing and often across several forums when something new an talk worthy comes out.  Active moderation would collapse everything to one or two pertinent threads in a single forum.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 03:47:30 pm »

Hi,

I am the OP on this. I could have posted on another thread, but I wanted to discuss some technological aspects and also the future of the system. Posting on another thread we wouldn't have the same discussion.

A lot of good posting on this thread...

Best regards
Erik

Why is there yet another thread on the X1D, with the same chatter as the others, guessing as to how things will pan out?
Erik Kaffehr

NickT

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 03:55:18 pm »

As I understood, only newer H lenses which allow a certain firmware update will allow AF, all others will only work manually on the X1D. The big question is now where and when to get a list with the serial numbers which qualify.

That was my understanding too but Hasselblad have posted on another forum saying all HC/HCD lenses will work with AF.

siddhaarta

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 04:19:55 pm »

What I see here with the X1D is the second enterprise (after Leica) to create a fully integrated MFD system (one OVF, one EVF), good-bye to good old modular concept which traces its origins back to film era, where interchangeable backs made a lot of sense. P1 (with Mamiya and Leaf), Hasselblad and Pentax share this slow and evolutionary transition process which worked as disincentive to disruptive thinking.

This is kind of sad for tech cam guys but I think the days of separate digital backs are counted. Same holds for modular viewfinders (the new waist-level finder is called articulated LCD with touch functionality). And if you ask yourself nowadays why the H/XF/Z have to be that big and heavy as they are, you should be looking forward to theses changes.

What has not been discussed yet is the new lens line. Hasselblad made it quite clear that THEY designed them. The production process is in Japan and this works in the same manner as Zeiss with Cosina. I remember, there was a similar discusion to what degree the HC lenses are from Fuji. Hasselblad stated that they are own designs, only produced by Fuji. So, again, we see a kind of vertical integration under one roof. This is quite remarkable considering the impressing MTFs.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:30:20 pm by siddhaarta »

siddhaarta

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 04:24:59 pm »

That was my understanding too but Hasselblad have posted on another forum saying all HC/HCD lenses will work with AF.

Yes thanks, I have also seen the Hasselblad statement on GetDpi. Let's hope this applies also to the older lenses which I may buy cheap on eBay. Anyway, I could live with manual focus for certain applications.

What I would like to know is, whether the manual focus on the new lenses is focus-by-wire or mechanical. Have noticed that there are no distance indications.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:17:52 pm by siddhaarta »

NickT

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 05:56:00 pm »

. This is quite remarkable considering the impressing MTFs.

Yes the lenses look like they will perform really well. Their lens designer is a super clever guy, it was him who confirmed to me that the MTFs are not based on digitally corrected data.

yashima

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 06:51:50 pm »

Hi Nick,

Could you please help confirm if the manual focusing is old school helical focusing, not focus-by-wire seen in Sony/Zeiss E mount lenses?

NickT

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 06:56:14 pm »

I will ask!

yashima

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 07:11:53 pm »

Thanks! Have you had the chance to handle the camera/lenses directly? You can feel the focus-by-wire right away if thats the case.

As advanced as the Sony system is, I can not live with focus-by-wire, I feel completely disconnected from the working of the camera.

E.J. Peiker

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 11:53:49 pm »

As advanced as the Sony system is, I can not live with focus-by-wire, I feel completely disconnected from the working of the camera.
The Zeiss Loxia lenses are not focus by wire.  They feel just like the classic Zeiss lenses in focus - you will love them if you haven't tried them.

NickT

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 01:19:36 am »

Thanks! Have you had the chance to handle the camera/lenses directly? You can feel the focus-by-wire right away if thats the case.

I handled it ever so briefly but didn't try manual focus sorry.

yashima

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 02:15:01 am »

The Zeiss Loxia lenses are not focus by wire.  They feel just like the classic Zeiss lenses in focus - you will love them if you haven't tried them.

Yes they are beautifully engineer, however there's no AF. Is it too much to ask for good AF with helical manual focus override?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 02:51:27 am »

Focus by wire on the Fuji X lenses feels pretty close to the real deal.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

yashima

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 11:14:36 pm »

Someone over GetDPI said it was indeed "focus by wire". If so potentially a deal breaker for me.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 03:24:39 pm »

Hi,

I would suggest to test the camera before drawing conclusions. Yes, I would guess that CDAF essentially needs focus by wire. But I would suggest that well implemented focus by wire may work well enough. Another point, a well designed AF system may make manual focus less necessary.

Best regards
Erik

Someone over GetDPI said it was indeed "focus by wire". If so potentially a deal breaker for me.
Erik Kaffehr

hexx

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 06:02:44 pm »

Focus by wire on the Fuji X lenses feels pretty close to the real deal.

definitely not on 35/1.4, 18/2 or 60/2.4 lenses, if anything, pretty far from the real deal

E.J. Peiker

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2016, 06:44:04 pm »

definitely not on 35/1.4, 18/2 or 60/2.4 lenses, if anything, pretty far from the real deal
Agreed, I have used or tested virtually every lens ever made for mirrorless as well as just about every lens currently on the market for 35mm and many MF lenses and there is no focus by wire lens made that feels anything like a quality manual focus ring like what you get from Leica or Zeiss or even Voigtlander, et al or virtually any other quality manual focus lens.  While Fuji focus by wire lenses feel better than most, they don't at all feel like these.

yashima

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2016, 07:21:06 pm »

Focus by wire basically gives a constant resistance in focusing barrel, without connecting to and without any nuance of the physical process of pushing/pulling lens group, it might be very well be a dial instead.

From what Erik said, is it possible at all to have mirrorless and AF lenses with traditional manual focusing? Mirrorless at the moment feels like giving instruction to a computer, you are removed from the direct connection with the subject by the EVF, and removed from the direct connection with the camera by focus by wire and electronic shutter.

siddhaarta

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 07:31:31 pm »

I don't have tried the Leica Q, but as far as I know it has a "real" manual focus mechanism (and it has AF).

And all the manual Leica M lenses, Zeiss Loxia lenses, etc. can be used with the focus aids of Sony A7 or Leica SL.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2016, 11:00:28 pm »

Agreed, I have used or tested virtually every lens ever made for mirrorless as well as just about every lens currently on the market for 35mm and many MF lenses and there is no focus by wire lens made that feels anything like a quality manual focus ring like what you get from Leica or Zeiss or even Voigtlander, et al or virtually any other quality manual focus lens.  While Fuji focus by wire lenses feel better than most, they don't at all feel like these.

Worse than the feel, some fly by wire lenses do not allow intermediate focus points eg near infinity when operated "manually".

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up