Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape  (Read 87029 times)

Michael Tapes

• Contributor
Re: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 01:42:40 pm »

To Michael's friends and family,

It is a sad day indeed. I will forever be grateful to Michael for the support he gave to me both personally and professionally. I always cherished his friendship and guidance. He was a giving soul, and will remain in my thoughts. My deep condolences to all who knew and loved him.

Michael Tapes
Michael Tapes
Designer: WhiBal, LensAlig

ChristopherMay

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 01:49:56 pm »

I'm mostly a lurker around LuLa, but I can say without a doubt that this site and Michael's dedication to it have made me a better photographer. There are plenty of photographic sites around the web but very few that I check daily. This is one of them. I was hooked from the very early days and really enjoyed Michael's photographs and commentary. While I will truly miss his contributions, I'm so glad that the site will continue in the capable hands of Chris, Kevin and the rest of the LuLa team.

My thoughts and prayers are with Michael's family, the LuLa team and the many, many photographers that were as inspired as I was by Michael's work. May you find some comfort any time you see a luminous landscape before you.

Godspeed and great light to you, Mr. Reichmann.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 01:51:16 pm »

My condolences to friends and family. RIP.  :'(
-MattB

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 01:53:03 pm »

Very very very sad to read this. I owe a lot to Michael and of course continue to admire his photography and overal achievements in terms of teaching and sharing.

My thoughts go first to his family and friends.

Then to us, who have been spending a lot of time in the virtual community he generously created. Let's continue his legacy under the leadership of Kevin while mourning the loss of a great man.

Regards,
Bernard

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 02:09:15 pm »

I'm at a loss for words to express my feelings, Sad doesn't cut it.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Bart
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:48:03 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

melgross

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 02:14:09 pm »

My god, I hardly know what to say. He hid it so well. We corresponded a number of times through e-mail over the years. I'll miss Michael so much.

dmc@arboretumstudios.com

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2016, 02:27:11 pm »

Damn. Now I'll never get to chew Michael out for getting me to buy that dog of a Canon 70-300 DO zoom. His enthusiasms were indeed contagious. My condolences to his family and co-workers, and to all of us here - we'll miss him a lot.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 02:29:08 pm »

I hope he was able to pass with little pain and some dignity.

Sad news.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 02:30:49 pm »

Very sad day for the photography world.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Stu

Bri@n

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 02:41:51 pm »

It is a sad day...

Michael touched many of us with his passion, wit, and knowledge. My condolences to his family, friends and all of you who contributed in making LULA a place of great inspiration.

He will be missed.

Brian

pearlstreet

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 02:42:25 pm »

He is one of us, forever.

I never look at a print I make without thinking of all I have learned from Michael. I am always grateful to him and wish his family and friends peace.

Thank you, Michael.

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 02:45:18 pm »

Thank you Michael wherever you are. RIP.

MF

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 02:49:16 pm »

when i started with digital photography a few years ago LuLa was one of the first sites that really educated me about photography.

i remember reading about ETTR on this website for the first time and thought "yeah.. that makes sense".

after i saw his videos about printing, matting and framing i was buying my epson r2880.

i never met him or talked to him but he truly influenced me as a photographer via this great website.

rest in peace michael.
my thoughts are with his family.

t.linn

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 02:52:39 pm »

Michael was a gifted photographer and an eloquent teacher. Even though I never met him, I feel like I got to know him and his friends at least a little through the videos he and Chris created. I don't think there is anyone else in the industry who influenced me more on both a technical level and an aesthetic level than him.

Michael is someone I will never forget. His creation, LuLa, has been a gift to all of us for as long as I can remember. I look forward to many more years of LuLa under the stewardship of Kevin and Chris—but it won't be quite the same.

neile@live.com

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2016, 02:53:46 pm »

A very sad day indeed :( I had the pleasure of joining Michael on the 2009 LL Antarctica voyage, a trip that profoundly changed my photography. Here's one of my favourite photos of Michael with Ramon, the trip's sock monkey:

You will be missed, Michael.

Neil

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 02:57:24 pm »

Like so many I imagine, I feel Michael has gone far too soon. The loss is painful. But I'm deeply thankful he shared so very much, far and wide, in the time he had -- and in the time we all shared together, in this community he has founded.

Thanks Kevin for your great words. To his loved ones and companions - my condolences.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2016, 02:57:50 pm »

I feel like I have just lost a very close and very dear member of the family.

I don't know what else to say, I am speechless, a very sad day indeed.

Rest in peace Michael, we will all miss you, and much more than you could ever imagine.

earlybird

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 03:02:46 pm »

Please accept my condolences and deep sympathy.

I did not know Michael personally but it always seemed obvious that he exuded a wonderfully generous and happy spirit.

mbkinsman

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 03:09:20 pm »

It is a sad day in the photographic community. My condolences to family and friends of Michael, many of whom,I came to know through Lula and the videos Chris and Michael offered to the community over the many years. He will indeed be missed.
Mark

Rand47

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 03:14:38 pm »

I never met Michael.  We had some small contact via PM.  I bought one of his prints, early on.  Lovely thing.  His "personality" here on the Luminous-Landscape was dignified, intelligent yet avuncular all at the same time.  He was "a friend I never met in person."

His vision and passion for photography, and early vision for digital photography, has had a significant impact on me on a bunch of levels.  He helped me "make contact" with the likes of Jeff Schewe and Eric Chan (via the tutorials).  He "allowed me" to "sit in the corner" and listen and learn from all the experts here on the site that have brought massive leaps in my understanding and ability.

It is his personal stamp on this "place," the hallmark, of civility as a defining characteristic... Long may that live.

Sad day... Thank you, Michael ...

Rand

Rand Scott Adams
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up