Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape  (Read 87038 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 04:37:51 pm »

Michael RIP, you were a great inspiration to many people. You were a big reason for me to be fond of landscape photography early on and I met you back in 2008 on a workshop in Canada. I was then planning to start my business and you spent more than an hour with me in your Toronto gallery discussing landscape photography, workshops and giving great advice. You will forever be missed for what you contributed to the photographic community during the transition from film to digital.

I knew you were ill or had been and thought all was better so this news was a shock and a big reminder to not waste our time while we are here on earth and pursue our dreams. I'm forever thankful to you.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2016, 04:48:16 pm »

He was a good friend and colleague.  He wrote my forward to my book and I will miss him.  RIP, I hope that the heavens are well stocked with a good cold diet soda.  I will hoist one in honor of you.  Hats off to a great human and friend.  Tim Wolcott

Kevin and Chris, keep your chins up.  T

mbaginy

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2016, 04:50:58 pm »

My most heartfelt condolences to Michael's family and friends.  RIP Michael.

graeme

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2016, 04:54:48 pm »

Very sad to hear this news. I've learnt so much from LuLa.

Condolences to Michael's family & friends.

Graeme

ithilstone

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2016, 05:07:45 pm »

Such a sad news - My thought are with His Family

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2016, 05:12:15 pm »

I've added a few short words on my own memories of Michael here.  Not easy to write.  It certainly brings back the memories....   In particular I remember being in the passenger seat of the car Michael was driving, in Iceland in 2004. He was in a hurry to get moving again, and was about to shoot off, when I asked him if he'd forgotten anything. He asked me, slightly irritated, what I meant, and I just pointed at his Contax 645, on his tripod, on the road behind the car.  I promised not to mention it....too often.

My condolences to Chris, Kevin, the whole Lula team, and most of all his family.  He's going to be missed the world over.

--
David Mantripp

Thingo

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2016, 05:17:31 pm »

While having not met MR in person, the many years of help & inspiration he has shared will live on as testament to his generosity & kindness.

Condolences to his family, friends, & the LuLa team.

Andrea
in the Antipodes.

flbrit

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2016, 05:19:32 pm »

I've been following this site (Michael) from just after it's beginning.

I've not posted much but have enjoyed and respected his outstanding contribution to the Photographic and Humanitarian world. His humor and knowledge has been at my side since what seems like forever.

I never had the chance to meet but we did exchange a few emails over the years.

My heart does go out to the family and friends.

We are all the richer for Michael's life. We must celebrate that as well as wiping the tears from his passing.

Brian Drinkwater

Brian

BJL

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2016, 05:26:55 pm »

Sad news indeed.  As I knew Michael only through this site, I will mention two things he did that have made The Luminous Landscape so appealing and valuable to me. The initial attraction was seeing his wonderful landscape photos on the front page, rather than photos of gear or such. Then, in the era when digital technology was evolving rapidly and changing photography, there was his writing about cameras: from the practical perspective of a skilled and widely experienced photographer using the gear to produce those wonderful images, with fine observations of ergonomics and such. He observed things about my own cameras that I had not noticed, but were worth knowing!

He will be missed by many.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2016, 05:33:10 pm »

I remember back in 2005 in Antarctica finding him up on deck very late one night (still light though) - only a very few people around.

I asked him, “don’t you ever sleep?”

He answered, “I’ll sleep when I die.”

This is the way I'll remember Michael.

Lemaire Channel Dec 5, 2005 at 9:59:25PM

That same evening while we were shooting into the nite (around midnight as I recall) one poor guy cam up to Michael and asked if he could quit shooting...Michael of course said no, keep shooting!

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2016, 05:34:54 pm »

This hit me kind of hard.  I only met Michael once, in passing, at a PhotoPlus Expo years ago.  Yet it seems like he's been a friend for years through my involvement with this site. 

My condolences and best wishes to Kevin, Chris and the other friends and family I haven't "met". 

tcrawford

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2016, 05:36:53 pm »

I've been around this site since ~2003, bought all of his early mail order DVD's.  Grateful for his desire to invest in others.

Did Michael have a favorite drink?  I'd like to hoist one in his honor...

kkkaiser

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2016, 05:42:15 pm »

sad indeed... he sent me a photograph, by mail in 2000 of a tiger that he took with the original,,canon interchangeable digital camera,, i forget the model..but he didnt know me from adam.   printed a photo and mailed it,,, needless to say, i bought that camera, and unfortunatly, many more upgrades,, but that simple act to encourage led me to great pleasure behind a camera,  i was also on the 2005 antarctic expedition ,, will never forget,,, ATTN k-mart shoppers,,, as a warning of possible shots...

Rest in peace

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2016, 05:47:37 pm »

Fare thee well Michael, I've enjoyed your writing and passion for many years. Thank-you so very much for the knowledge you have shared and facilitated. My condolences to family and friends.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2016, 05:50:55 pm »

Chris and I are feeling the loss of our friend.  We will work harder than ever as we promised Michael to continue his legacy with Luminous-Landscape and the Endowment.

I'm one of those who knew Michael only virtually — through his articles, forum posts and videos on this website — but I greatly appreciated both his dedication to his craft and his enthusiasm for sharing his knowledge with his readers and viewers.

I also appreciated his determination to keep the discussions in this forum civil, his belief that people could disagree while remaining calm and mutually respectful, and his occasional polite but firm admonitions when things got out of hand.  It always struck me (from my south-of-the-border perspective) as ... ahh ... very Canadian — and in my opinion it is one of the characteristics that has made this site such a productive place.  I hope you and Chris will make a special effort to preserve this part of his legacy as you go forward.  Michael's untimely passing should remind all of us that life is too short to waste time being pissed-off.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2016, 05:52:24 pm »

I first met Michael when we moved to Toronto in 2002. We became close friends, collaborated on numerous initiatives over the years and I can't begin to enumerate all I have learned about photography in general and digital imaging in particular from associating with Michael, notwithstanding that I had been into photography in a non-professional capacity for decades before. He was a genuine friend, a great teacher, an enormous personality, a great innovator, had a great disposition and was just one of the most honest-to-goodness persons to be with. His passing is a great loss to his family, friends, and the world-wide photographic community. He faced the last several years of his life with great courage, indeed an object-lesson in how to face life's most difficult challenges with equanimity and positiveness. May he rest in peace.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2016, 06:02:10 pm »

I'm sorry to hear of this

jibee

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2016, 06:04:58 pm »

Love & prayers for the Reichmann family from the Philippines.

Luminous Landscape has helped me in so many ways. I regret to say 'Thank you' just now.

JB

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2016, 06:08:59 pm »

Damn.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2016, 06:11:13 pm »

I never met Michael, so unfortunately do not have a picture with him or of him. However, I am glad I made him laugh at least once:

Slobodan....

That is the best line!! Thanks for it, I laughed out loud.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up