Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape  (Read 87462 times)

thebatman

Re: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2016, 08:18:34 pm »

A glass of Glenrothes always marked special occasions in the past few years

That's it!  Thank you Chris.

w_jones@conknet.com

« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2016, 08:21:37 pm »

A glass of Glenrothes always marked special occasions in the past few years

So it will be. Because of Micheal and his enthusiasm for prints, I took to printing again and it has made all the difference. Thanks Mike & RIP

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2016, 08:24:35 pm »

Michael was a great photographer, a gifted writer armed with a felicitous turn of phrase, and a successful businessman & originator of a website that inspired and influenced so many. Very few are this fortunate in the breadth of accomplishment. And he didn't suffer fools gladly. This is the image I formed of him here on LuLa. Thank you, Michael.

ario

« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2016, 08:27:02 pm »

A very sad day for the photographic community.
My condolence to his family and friends.

walter.sk

« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2016, 08:31:30 pm »

Wow!  I'm stunned!  I've been a member of the forums here for years, and have always been impressed with them and the main website as they reflected the love of photography and people, the ability to remain focused on goals and the way to reach them, and the organization brought to Lu-La by Michael.  The tone set here has made this one of the most vital photographic communities on the web.

I also value so much that twinkle in Michael's eyes when he would ask a tongue-in-cheek question of Jeff in the wonderful video tutorials they made. He brought a real sense of humanity to everything he did here.  Sincere condolences to his family and the people with whom he worked to build and grow this wonderful website. 

jaime@iguana-farm.com

« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2016, 08:40:05 pm »

Very sad day. I will miss his wit and wisdom. Condolences to the family and all who knew him personally and call him a friend.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2016, 08:41:04 pm »

Although I was aware of Michael's illness this still an awful shock. I was privileged to travel and shoot on many trips with Michael from Big Bend to Iceland, from Namibia to Bosque del Apache, from Newfoundland to Antarctica. These are all some of my finest memories. He was a great teacher and travel companion.

I first met him at Vistek in Toronto where one of the staff introduced him to me as the man "who has just started a photographic website - called Luminous Landscape". Little did we know it was destined to become the most visited website in the industry.

Sadly I had lunch with him a little while back and he paid, on the basis that it would be my turn next. I wish that were still possible.

To his other friends and family, my most sincere condolences.

Bill

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2016, 08:58:39 pm »

I've not met Michael, but in a way I have (from his videos and LULA writings) a very special, gifted man and  missed terribly.
My condolences to family. Good bye Michael,... but not forgotten.
Leszek, G

dwood

« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2016, 09:05:22 pm »

This is profoundly sad news. I have learned much from Michael over the years through his writings and videos. I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but he seemed like a genuinely good person - someone you'd be lucky to call 'friend'. My sincere condolences go out to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Kevin, Chris and Jeff: I'm sure this must be a particularly difficult time for you. Do the best you can to take care of yourselves.

-Doug 

ValerieMillett

• Valerie Millett
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2016, 09:15:58 pm »

Very sad to hear. Condolences to Michael's family and his family here at Lula.
Valerie Millett
Blog: http://valmillett.blogspot.com

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2016, 09:20:15 pm »

Thank you ...everyone! Your thoughts and comments are so incredible and special.  Chris and I really appreciate it and I know Michael does too.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

scooby70

« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2016, 09:34:21 pm »

Condolences and best wishes to Michael's loved ones.

He'll be missed.

RIP Michael and hopefully LL will go on taking a little part of Michael with it.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2016, 10:01:49 pm »

I am deeply saddened by the passing of Michael. I wish I had got to meet him in person. He has directly or indirectly taught me show much. May he rest peacefully in the Eternal Light. God bless you, Michael.

hubell

« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2016, 10:05:48 pm »

Ah Jesus!! I am just in tears as I type this, had no idea Mike was ill. I was fortunate to have met and spoken with him a few times over the years and also to have gotten some very good advice from him on various matters.  This is a group shoot taken at a dinner he hosted at Ruby Foo's in NYC some years back, yours truly is in between Thomas Knoll and Chris Sanderson, it was one of the most memorable days of my life!

Rest Easy Michael,
Kevin in CT

Yes, it's a sad day in so many ways, because we have lost someone who has contributed so immeasurably to our joy and endless fascination with the hobby/profession we love. However, I do hope that his family is comforted knowing what an amazing and enduring legacy he has left. Kevin/Chris, please do let them know.
I was at that get together at Foos in what, 1999 or 2000 from which Kevin has posted a photograph. Those were the very early, embryonic days when MR was building the LuLa. Digital had not really arrived on the scene, and Michael was still far away from the major presence in the photography firmament that he became. I posted a bit early on about my "workflow" (nobody called it a "workflow" in those days), and lo and behold, Michael personally started a private email exchange with me comparing notes. RIP, Michael. You will be sorely missed. A little bit of all of us has died as well.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:20:38 am by hubell »

uimike

« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2016, 10:06:02 pm »

Very sad day... I have not met Michael in person, but I have for many years been a big fan of his work, his images, his reviews, his videos, and in general, his amiableness and wit. He brought the best in people, and surrounded himself with fun, talented partners and guests, which made LuLa so special. His legacy will not be forgotten. He made a difference. RIP Michael, and my sentiments to his wife and family. I keep you in my thoughts.

Michael C / San Jose, California

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2016, 10:35:45 pm »

It was information here that initially got me into digital in 2001. In the next couple of years I would email fairly often with Michael. At one point he did reviews of member's images. I sent in a couple that he informed me were just not up to scratch. It was a proud moment indeed when he published one of mine and gave it a glowing review. Thanks for all the inspiration, Michael. He put up the good fight, and while alive he lived. A lot to admire here.
Bob
 ht

ramd41@gmail.com

« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2016, 10:36:29 pm »

While I never met Michael, he has been a part of my life for a very long time, through his posts, videos and tutorials.  I have an incredible sense of loss for a person whose relationship with me was merely virtual. He was a very special person to have had such an impact on so many of us despite not ever personally having met him.  My deepest sympathy to his family and personal friends. 

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2016, 10:42:50 pm »

Michael's passing is very sad news. My condolences to his family and to the Lula family.
Eduardo

Stephen Starkman

« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2016, 11:17:15 pm »

December 2005, last night of Workshop to Antarctica.

All the usual suspects.

Michael was beaming.

LMBSGV

• Laurence Brauer
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2016, 11:29:13 pm »

I spent last night and this morning camping at Point Reyes and while photographing was remembering something Michael said in the Camera to Print and Screen video and applying it to what I was shooting. Then to come home to read this . . . It's too much. . . I am completely shocked and saddened. My condolences to his family and friends. I’m sorry I never was fortunate enough to meet him in person, but feel I knew him from the videos. Such a vibrant force of life. Such a loss for all of us.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up