Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape  (Read 87246 times)

franckdw

Re: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2016, 06:16:17 pm »

I am very sorry and sad to hear the news. I learnt so much from LuLa, this is the place where my photographic journey began.

Here's a story that I will remember: I was sitting at the terrace of a café in Paris a few years ago - this was during the Leica M8 days - when my girlfriend told me "Look, look, this is the guy from the videos!". Michael was getting ouf of a cab with a friend of his and their wives. I had spent so much time watching the LuLa DVDs that my girlfriend had recognized Michael. As our attention shifted to him, our baby girl who was playing with sugar packets swallowed one and started to choke. We took care of her; she was fine of course.

I feel extremely grateful for Lula. Michael will be missed, what a life well lived! I will regret not attending a LuLa workshop with him.

My condolences to his family, friends and the Lula team. Best wishes to Kevin and Chris.

Sail on Michael, merci!

Franck

JeanMichel

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2016, 06:16:29 pm »

I add my condolences to Michael's family and friends. I never knew him personally but would have very much liked to thank him directly for his generous help to myself and countless others. I'll raise my camera, and expose to the right in his memory. Thank you Michael, rest in peace.
Jean-Michel

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2016, 06:22:58 pm »

Very sad. Condolences to family & friends.

tashley

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2016, 06:24:52 pm »

Gosh what a shock. Michael was like a sort of photographic Mount Rushmore - an immensely familiar sight that I'd never actually seen but who was monumental in my personal pantheon. Form the first day I entered the digital world, Michael was my guide. Clever, discerning, independent minded, funny, wise and talented, his views and reviews were always the most interesting and well considered. I often considered joining one of his workshops or photo trips but never quite got round to it and now I wish I had.

I got a strong impression that he was a very generous man. Now he's gone and while I really wish I'd met him, I also feel that he was able to transmit a lot of himself through his articles and that therefore somehow I knew him quite well.

My heartfelt condolences go out to his family, friends and colleagues. He was that rare thing: a pioneer who continued to lead. He will be widely and deeply missed.

Tony Jay

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2016, 06:25:14 pm »

Very shocking and sad news.
I only discovered this, just this morning, in my hospital bed.

I knew Michael had had a large operation for cancer a couple of years back but I had no idea that his health was an ongoing issue.

Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.
And strength!

IMHO Jeff Schewe seems to have summed up Michael's spirit the best with that posted image and the comment "Keep shooting".

Kind Regards

Tony Jay

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2016, 06:27:28 pm »

My most sincere condolences to all of Michaels family and friends. RIP Michael.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

pw-pix

• My Flickr stream
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2016, 06:33:11 pm »

A sad loss, Michael was instrumental in my early understanding of digital imaging and his early digital camera reviews were a massive help in choosing tools.
My condolences to his family and friends.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2016, 06:33:45 pm »

Deepest sympathy to family and friends.
David Sutton

Colorado David

« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2016, 06:37:22 pm »

I am at a loss for words.  I did notice there was less and less of his involvement in the forums, but did not connect that to his cancer.  Condolences to his family and to Kevin and Chris.  It now appears that he was planning for the future of Lula for some time, knowing this was possible. He gave us all a great gift and none of us can adequately recognize the long-term value it may yet have.  I'm married to a teacher so I have a tiny little understanding, but teaching and encouraging pay dividends now and in the years to come over and over.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2016, 06:48:47 pm »

So sorry to hear the sad news. Thank you Michael for sharing with us your time, insight and expertise.
Kevin and Chris, keep the dream alive!

MHMG

« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2016, 06:58:02 pm »

Michael enriched many others' lives. We should all aspire to follow in his footsteps.

adias

« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2016, 07:03:22 pm »

Sad news indeed! Condolences to Michael's family.

toconnorphotography

« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2016, 07:22:40 pm »

I am so sorry to hear about Michael's passing.  I have thourghly enjoyed LuLa since about 2000.  Michael has helped me with photography in many ways.  He has been one of my main sources for learning about photography and gear.  He was always clear and concise in his tutorials, reviews and essays.  His Lightroom tutorials are fabulous! The photographers that he collaborated with for his videos and essays have always been first rate.

I loved following his trips to far off places often wishing I could be there too.  It is amazing how you can connect with someone you have never met and be so affected by his loss.

Best wishes to Kevin and Chris moving forward with LuLa.  I will be a member for many years to come.

Thank you Michael,

Tom O'Connor

paulbk

« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2016, 07:38:43 pm »

Shocked and saddened. Very! I've followed Michael via LL for more than 13 years. Felt connected and thought I knew Michael through his writing and many adventures (even back in the CD days). Michael was a kind of mentor to me, albeit virtual. A fine man and great photographer. I am truly sad and shaken.
Respectfully,
paul kramarchyk
Barkhamsted, Connecticut, USA
paul b.k.
New England, USA

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2016, 07:51:11 pm »

Very sorry and saddened to hear this news. I learned so much from Michael through this site, especially in the early days of digital, where this was The source on the internet for all things digital photography. Michael made an enormous contribution to photography, and his voice and sense of humor will be missed!

JV

« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2016, 08:00:56 pm »

Sad news.  My condolences to his family and friends. 

thebatman

« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2016, 08:02:20 pm »

Very sad to hear the news about Michael, may he rest in peace and many condolences to his family and friends.

Kevin, Chris, and Jeff, I'm sure this is an especially sad day for you but look forward to still seeing you "on the Luminous Landscape"

Although I never met him, remembering Michael brings two main things to mind:
  • All the fun he, Jeff and Chris had in the videos over the years ... I recall at the end of one jumping in the hot tub?  And another where there was a big glass of scotch at the end - I will have to check and see what brand it was and drink a toast in his honor
  • I think it's a real testament to Michael's influence how many people on this thread have registered to post their first comment, even if they have been reading for many years.  Clearly Michael's reach and influence was far beyond what he knew. It's amazing to think how wide the audience for his creation LuLa has become.

-Ken Davidson

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2016, 08:13:40 pm »

Did Michael have a favorite drink?  I'd like to hoist one in his honor...

A glass of Glenrothes always marked special occasions in the past few years

gss

« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2016, 08:15:44 pm »

Very sad to hear this.  My condolences to all who mourn.  RIP Michael.
I will lift a Glenrothes tonight in remembrance.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2016, 08:18:24 pm »

Very sad to hear this.  My condolences to all who mourn.  RIP Michael.

I can but concur with this message. :(
A collection of mine here http://500px.c
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up