Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Elinchrom ELC Pro HD 1000 vs Profoto D1 1000  (Read 28820 times)

Manoli

Re: Elinchrom ELC Pro HD 1000 vs Profoto D1 1000
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 06:15:18 am »

I waved bye bye to all my Profoto gear and the rest is history.

Can you run the Bron off the mains whilst charging ( as you can with the B4} ?

FelixWu

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 06:21:33 am »

Lets not get too bogged down by this as when comparing specification on bron's top battery and studio packs to Profoto you really are splitting hairs and neither are short on features. However, for me by far the biggest and most important advantage was when I was shopping for powerful battery location lighting (owned and loved AcuteB2 packs for location) I visited a trade show to look at the then new B4 and was shocked and dissapointed by their size. At the same show I then passed the bron stand to which I knew very little about their product range as they not exactly aggressive with marketing unlike Profoto and discovered the Move 1200L. I waved bye bye to all my Profoto gear and the rest is history.

I must say if I was looking for a lighting system before the introduction of B1s, I would have definitely gone with Brons move pack as it's far lighter. But the B1 was really the game changer not only on its lower entry pricing but also chord less and plenty powerful for most outdoor use.

For me I shoot mostly on location so wish to air more lights but yet I still wish to use them in a studio while trickle charging it. That's why i am on the market for b4 or a move. It's true that as many of you suggested I should probably just stick to one system.

Where are you based? I find Bron modifiers are more expensive here in New Zealand.

FelixWu

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2016, 06:23:20 am »

Yes you can. Although I don't know how fast it's being charged. B4 seems keeping up well if you don't max out your modeling lamp.

Manoli

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2016, 07:53:13 am »

Can't comment on the Bron's - but I moved from Acutes straight to B4's when they were first released. Previous experience. reliability, head office back up and the peace of mind of rental and world wide service facilities all made it an easy decision - the only hard part was popping the tranquillisers when it came to paying the invoice - but there again Bron's aren't exactly a give away!

It's true that the Bron's are lighter but the build quality of the B4's mattered more (to me). Something quietly reassuring about them.

FelixWu

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2016, 08:05:03 am »

Can't comment on the Bron's - but I moved from Acutes straight to B4's when they were first released. Previous experience. reliability, head office back up and the peace of mind of rental and world wide service facilities all made it an easy decision - the only hard part was popping the tranquillisers when it came to paying the invoice - but there again Bron's aren't exactly a give away!

It's true that the Bron's are lighter but the build quality of the B4's mattered more (to me). Something quietly reassuring about them.

Do you use other packs from Profoto? What heads to get for B4? ProB+ or the ProHead+? The B heads are way more affordable but lacks compatibility to studio generators.

Manoli

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2016, 08:17:03 am »

Do you use other packs from Profoto? What heads to get for B4? ProB+ or the ProHead+? The B heads are way more affordable but lacks compatibility to studio generators.

From memory, the ProHeads were about 75% more expensive than the Pro-B's - I went Pro-Bs as I'd settled on the B4's for studio use too ( and no, I don't use any other packs). Depending on intended use ... YMMV.

FelixWu

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2016, 08:28:32 am »

From memory, the ProHeads were about 75% more expensive than the Pro-B's - I went Pro-Bs as I'd settled on the B4's for studio use too ( and no, I don't use any other packs). Depending on intended use ... YMMV.
The proceeds make proBs such a bargain! Have you had any problem with your B heads (overheating?) due to the lack of fans? I intend to use B4 as my studio pack as well. I think fast trickle charging plus a spare battery will last forever.

gazwas

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 02:26:30 pm »

I must say if I was looking for a lighting system before the introduction of B1s, I would have definitely gone with Brons move pack as it's far lighter. But the B1 was really the game changer not only on its lower entry pricing but also chord less and plenty powerful for most outdoor use.

Now that's a matter of personal opinion as I pre ordered the B1's the moment they were announced and was one of the first people in the UK to receive them (earlier than the official release date). However, I only had them a matter of weeks before I sold them as I really didn't like them. Initially I was impressed but grew to hate the size and weight compared to my AcuteB heads and really disliked the enclosed flash tube. Tried the domes but that made them even bigger and having to use a Pro/Acute transport cap to pack them with domes on made the whole thing a PITA to pack, plus the dome just didn't work the same as the Acute/Pro heads.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

gazwas

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2016, 03:09:19 pm »

You most certainly can but if you have access to mains why use battery as none of the battery generators are a match for a studio pack. If you're in a studio modelling lights are a must and that will kill any battery genarator very quickly, even if plugged into the mains. Studio packs can be used all say long and will not miss a shot and benefit from using much brighter modelling bulbs.

yashima

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2016, 03:39:16 pm »

Broncolor used to have Mobil battery pack that can be turned into studio pack with the Studio Booster. I thought that was quite neat. However specs of the Mobil pack is nothing to shout about.

gazwas

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2016, 06:00:05 pm »

Broncolor used to have Mobil battery pack that can be turned into studio pack with the Studio Booster. I thought that was quite neat. However specs of the Mobil pack is nothing to shout about.

I asked my dealer about the possibility of a power dock for the Move and he said zero percent as it would seriously effect sales of the Scoro as that is basically what the Move is, a mini Scoro.

FelixWu

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2016, 06:08:21 pm »

You most certainly can but if you have access to mains why use battery as none of the battery generators are a match for a studio pack. If you're in a studio modelling lights are a must and that will kill any battery genarator very quickly, even if plugged into the mains. Studio packs can be used all say long and will not miss a shot and benefit from using much brighter modelling bulbs.

That's exactly what the b4 is, a pro8 running on battery. Recycling just as fast if not faster. I tried with the move back a couple days ago and it couldn't keep up. Even with speed mode it's ok but misfire every now and then. But again I was shooting rapid fast with 1dx just for testing purposes. :)

Manoli

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2016, 07:31:18 pm »

Studio packs can be used all say long and will not miss a shot and benefit from using much brighter modelling bulbs.

Think there's some confusion here. I can't comment on the Bron's but as far as the Profoto B4's go - they use the same 500W modelling lights as the 8a's ( halve that if two heads into one pack). I've yet to have a problem with them - and no issue with overheating fanless heads.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:45:35 am by Manoli »

gazwas

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2016, 07:51:57 pm »

Think there's some confusion here. I can't comment on the Bron's but as far as the Profoto B4's go - they use the same 500W modelling lights as the 8a's ( halve that if two heads into one pack). I've yet to have a problem with them - and no issue with overheating fanless heads.

No confusion, plug the B4 into the mains and run two heads out with modelling lights on and your B4 will soon run out of juce. Profoto and bron battery genarators don't run on mains when plugged in, they just charge the battery while in use so eventually they will run out of power.

gazwas

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2016, 08:04:21 pm »

That's exactly what the b4 is, a pro8 running on battery. Recycling just as fast if not faster. I tried with the move back a couple days ago and it couldn't keep up. Even with speed mode it's ok but misfire every now and then. But again I was shooting rapid fast with 1dx just for testing purposes. :)

If you want to shoot at full chat with a 1dx then yes the B4 fits the bill. If you want colour and output consistency but at a slightly slower pace in a much more compact location friendly package then the bron is the better. I've also used the MobiLED heads (without pack) plugged straight into the battery or power brick to shoot some quick video (daylight balanced) snd they work great which is a nice option to have.

I do however feel the B4 is probably more suitable for you considering your existing gear and modifiers.

FelixWu

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2016, 08:09:35 pm »

Felix - If you're thinking about buying one, IIRC, Profoto are currently running an offer of a free second head with a new B4 plus single head purchase - based on past performance, that probably means that there's a replacement model due within this year. Perhaps check with your dealer, to see if that's in NZ too.

I have spoken to distributor here and they didn't hear any product announcement regarding pro generators. And I am not even aware of the free head deal here as well. Where did you hear that information from?

Also I heard some TTL mono coming soon from Bron side, it should be the B1 competition except should equipped wi better performance.

FelixWu

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2016, 08:16:51 pm »

No confusion, plug the B4 into the mains and run two heads out with modelling lights on and your B4 will soon run out of juce. Profoto and bron battery genarators don't run on mains when plugged in, they just charge the battery while in use so eventually they will run out of power.
Modeling lamp definitely drains power fast if you had it on max and continuous. I have used B4 with a 500w and a 250w modeling lamp plugged in for product shoot (on proportional ). Lasted forever when you have the pack charging.

FelixWu

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2016, 08:23:00 pm »

If you want to shoot at full chat with a 1dx then yes the B4 fits the bill. If you want colour and output consistency but at a slightly slower pace in a much more compact location friendly package then the bron is the better. I've also used the MobiLED heads (without pack) plugged straight into the battery or power brick to shoot some quick video (daylight balanced) snd they work great which is a nice option to have.

I do however feel the B4 is probably more suitable for you considering your existing gear and modifiers.
If the Bron are as reliable and consistent I don't mind switching. I have access to nice second hand package at a very good price. Almost half as new :P

Manoli

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 08:28:09 pm »

I have spoken to distributor here and they didn't hear any product announcement regarding pro generators. And I am not even aware of the free head deal here as well. Where did you hear that information from?

It was an IIRC remark - not 100% sure and as I'm not in the market to buy one, didn't pay much attention - but I'll check with the dealer next week and PM you if I get confirmation. There wasn't and won't be a product announcement yet - Profoto do this/have done this (a 2nd head free) both with the Acutes and the B3's in the past, possibly with other models too (the D series ?) - at least in the EU.  If true it still leaves the new model a good 6/9 months away - quite possibly longer - I don't recall the previous time lags, but they were substantial.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:33:15 pm by Manoli »

FelixWu

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 08:44:21 pm »

It was an IIRC remark - not 100% sure and as I'm not in the market to buy one, didn't pay much attention - but I'll check with the dealer next week and PM you if I get confirmation. There wasn't and won't be a product announcement yet - Profoto do this/have done this (a 2nd head free) both with the Acutes and the B3's in the past, possibly with other models too (the D series ?) - at least in the EU.  If true it still leaves the new model a good 6/9 months away - quite possibly longer - I don't recall the previous time lags, but they were substantial.

Thanks Manoli. Profoto certainly made a lot of money from the entry OCF line. It's even eating into their pro market. It would be fantastic if they could beef up the affordable acutes.

What could they upgrade on the pro packs? Shorter flash duration and longer battery? TTL and HSS? More efficient modeling lamp? The D1 series certainly could use an upgrade. And the Pro8 introduced in 2008 would be due sooner than the 2012 B4 I guess?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up