Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 9 won't recognize scanned tiffs  (Read 14614 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Re: Capture One 9 won't recognize scanned tiffs
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 11:35:06 am »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for sharing that feedback. It seems from that response that Affinity photo changes the "Background" to a "Layer 0", which presumably is not locked like the default Background, and maybe other things in the TIFF structure also changed. I've read on the internet about an older issue that Affinity created, a 0px preview, that apparently got fixed by Affinity.

Well, it looks like an almost impossible task for Phase One to repair issues created by others, so I'd contact the other program manufacturers as well and see if they can improve their output to a more standardized/generic version. I see no real good reason for outputting a TIFF without a 'Background type' layer if there is only one layer and no masking or alpha channel.

Cheers,
Bart

You're pretty forgiving of PO and CO. Affinity Photo TIFF files open fine for me with Preview, Acorn, Pixelmator and, of course Photoshop. I would expect PO to have chops equal to or better than the small teams that write Acorn and Pixelmator.

I would love to be able to round-trip out of CO to AF to do some pixel pushing or even some pano making. :(
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 12:04:17 pm »

You're pretty forgiving of PO and CO. Affinity Photo TIFF files open fine for me with Preview, Acorn, Pixelmator and, of course Photoshop. I would expect PO to have chops equal to or better than the small teams that write Acorn and Pixelmator.

But Capture One is not a photo editor like the others you mention, but a Raw converter. Again, it would be nice if C1 could open anything thrown at it, but it's not their main focus, Rawconversion is. A photoeditor obviously needs to cater to another audience, not necessarily for Raw files.

I would love to be able to round-trip out of CO to AF to do some pixel pushing or even some pano making. :(

I agree, the round tripping (if needed, and it occasionally is) is what also puts some pressure on C1 to facilitate it, or offer better solutions from within C1 itself. But that doesn't mean that other applications shouldn't do their homework as well.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 12:22:38 pm »

But Capture One is not a photo editor like the others you mention, but a Raw converter. Again, it would be nice if C1 could open anything thrown at it, but it's not their main focus, Rawconversion is. A photoeditor obviously needs to cater to another audience, not necessarily for Raw files.

I agree, the round tripping (if needed, and it occasionally is) is what also puts some pressure on C1 to facilitate it, or offer better solutions from within C1 itself. But that doesn't mean that other applications shouldn't do their homework as well.

Cheers,
Bart

CO is no longer solely a Raw converter. It's added DAM features, a managed catalog, and offers round trip editing. I can understand PO's position that they don't want to support PSDs (while I don't think it's wise), but I do expect near universal support for TIFF. It continues to be my opinion that if CO wants to be a serious option for Aperture users, and an industry alternative to Lightroom, it has to up its game. Excusing PO as "small" and CO as a "RAW converter" doesn't put much customer pressure on them to improve.

Perhaps PO does not want to compete in that way. That's their choice, of course. But I, at least, am hoping for a real challenger to Lightroom and CO is getting very, very close. Fix some bugs, clean up a few features, add real image stacks, and they will be near about there, in my estimation.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 06:01:17 am »

What I cannot wrap my mind around is how they have a perfectly usable DAM (Media Pro) and refuse to update it. Yet still offer it for sale.
Media Pro recognizes PSD along with several other file types. I don't care if I can edit a PSD, Tiff or whatever in C1, just let me catalog it!

I have been a C1 user for a while and find it quite funny watching the C1 forum getting swamped with Aperture users pointing out issues that C1 users just gave up on.
Guess its time to hire some help ;D

MarkJohnson

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 08:17:51 am »

I found this thread today on a Google search. I had the same issue of not seeing Vuescan's tiffs in Capture One Pro, where I wanted to try editing one. From Lightroom, I had previously looked at some Vuescan tiffs in the (free) Siler Efex Pro plug-in and now notice that the tiffs which are generated for SEP are in fact seen by C1. One can just save the SEP tiff without doing any edits there. That tiff can then be worked on in C!.
Mark J

myotis

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 11:10:00 am »

Although now "old news" it may be useful for this thread to mention that CO 9.1 has in its list of updates:

"TIFF files saved with Alpha channels or layers can now be stored and viewed in Capture One."

From what I can work out, it seems that you can edit  TIFFS with alpha channels which is good news for round tripping to some plugins, but layered TIFFS are view only.

Cheers,

Graham

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 01:46:34 am »

RGB 24 or 48 bit and less than 500mb size will be ok for C1 in my experience.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up