Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now.  (Read 119268 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now.
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 10:02:15 am »

The price of the Phase One XF 100MP Camera System (with Schneider Kreuznach 80mm LS lens) is 48,990 USD.  Michael and I are preparing an article for later today.  We have been shooting with this system for a few days.  Of course the images are spectacular.  More to say later.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

landscapephoto

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 10:05:08 am »

As mentioned on the page that Doug linked to, it's a Sony.

I can't find any reference to the sensor manufacturer on that page.

Edit: found it (why do web designers insist on having you click to get the text?):

Phase One and Sony have been development partners for years, the 50MP sensor being the first milestone of our cooperation, now found in the XF IQ3 50MP. Creating the full frame sibling to the 50MP CMOS system has been a top priority of Phase One for years. Phase One sensor experts have been working hard to optimize the complete use of the 100MP sensor for the worlds most demanding photographers.

So it is a joint development. We'll see if that also means the sensor is a Phase One exclusive.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:17:00 am by landscapephoto »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 10:06:32 am »

Two people have now asked the price, with nary a response....

This has long been one of the things that annoys me about the medium format digital distributorship model.  Questions regarding prices or upgrades seem to often be treated as irrelevant ("if you have to ask, you can't afford it") or contingent ("contact your dealer's uncle's cousin Joe, and he'll get you the best price.")

This isn't the Hope Diamond, or heroin. 

What is the price?

I go to the gym for half an hour on Sunday morning after waking up early to post content to half a dozen sites, and I don't answer every question before hand and suddenly I'm a diamond thief or drug dealer? :-p

Price is listed above by Michael. Also available as a stand alone back, or as an upgrade from other digital backs (Phase or Competitive).

Now I'm gonna get back to sweating. I'll be back in 30 min :).

william

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 10:10:00 am »

Not at all.  Just thought it was a very obvious and important piece of information completely missing from the original posting, the linked materials, and all of the replies thus far that you've made.

I go to the gym for half an hour on Sunday morning after waking up early to post content to half a dozen sites, and I don't answer every question before hand and suddenly I'm a diamond thief or drug dealer? :-p

Price is listed above by Michael. Also available as a stand alone back, or as an upgrade from other digital backs (Phase or Competitive).

Now I'm gonna get back to sweating. I'll be back in 30 min :).

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 10:29:20 am »

I would to know how this back responds to lens cast with Rodenstock lens, especially the HR 40mm and HR 32mm. 

Joe, shifting wide angles has been the Achilles heel of MFDB with every back after the P45+.  When I tested the 80mp back against the 60mp, I found the 80 to be totally unusable with my wide lenses (the Schneiders).  I just couldn't get into the 32 and 40 HRs given how big, heavy and expensive they were combined with the distortion they exhibit.

I don't know, though... I'm really intrigued about this new back and I seem to find myself using smaller and smaller shifts too.  It has me wondering about shooting the XF and just cropping for composition instead of shifting.  For that, the 28 would be essential... is it any good?  I wanna see some tests and more info about the 16bit pipeline of course, but I'm very intrigued.

CB

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 10:38:18 am »

Chris, come on down to Indy and let's give it a run for the money with your system and mine.  I have the 23mm and I am anxious to see how that works.  You know how to reach me.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 10:49:08 am »

Joe, shifting wide angles has been the Achilles heel of MFDB with every back after the P45+.  When I tested the 80mp back against the 60mp, I found the 80 to be totally unusable with my wide lenses (the Schneiders).  I just couldn't get into the 32 and 40 HRs given how big, heavy and expensive they were combined with the distortion they exhibit.

I don't know, though... I'm really intrigued about this new back and I seem to find myself using smaller and smaller shifts too.  It has me wondering about shooting the XF and just cropping for composition instead of shifting.

Exactly, and some Keystone correction combined with the improved rescaling algorithms of Capture One Pro 9 should go a long way with plenty of pixels to start with. When Deconvolution sharpening would be added into the mix of future C1 improvements, I can see people changing their workflow to solving these issues in postprocessing, rather than at capture time.

For that, the 28 would be essential... is it any good?  I wanna see some tests and more info about the 16bit pipeline of course, but I'm very intrigued.

Interesting times we live in ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 10:56:09 am »

Hi,

Exceeding 14 bit seems like an engineering feat. Would be interesting to hear if it back side illuminated, like the A7rII sensor as BSI seems to reduce the cross talk problem.

Electronic first shutter curtain is a good feature, if they can integrate it with the shutter in the camera that is.

Great news for MF-shooters to have a full frame CMOS sensor!

Best regards
Erik

Congratulations with what most likely is a very nice camera solution for those who need the high resolution. I'm a bit weary about the '16-bit color' claim, but we'll see once the Raw files become available if that really means a (as advertised) 15-bit ADC pipeline converted to 16-bit/channel output. The new higher MP resolution IQ3 backs are advertised as 13-bit, and the CMOS 50MP as 14-bit ...

I'm also interested in learning about the sensor array's physical size, and resulting photo-site pitch. That will determine several aspects of lens suitability and postprocessing (Capture sharpening) needs.

The current documentation only mentions an IQ3 50MP, IQ3 60MP, and IQ3 80MP back. So does this mean that the 100MP comes only as a complete XF camera solution, or will there be an IQ3 100MP back as well?

Cheers,
Bart
Erik Kaffehr

araucaria

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 11:02:37 am »

Time to rob a bank, any tutorials?

Joe Towner

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 11:17:38 am »

Time to rob a bank, any tutorials?

Many a photographer are lining up to sell body organs.  Congrats to Sony, and even more so congrats to the whole team for keeping this under wraps.  I think the Ken & Don anti-workshop just became a lot more interesting.

Apple really needs to pull it's head out of it's ass on a new MacPro, between this and 8K video there's gonna be a lot of folks needing more power, and going back to Win7 to get it.

Is the HDMI feed 1080p or 4k/UHD?
t: @PNWMF

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2016, 11:18:30 am »

Chris, come on down to Indy and let's give it a run for the money with your system and mine.  I have the 23mm and I am anxious to see how that works.  You know how to reach me.

Sounds like a perfect first road trip for the new Benz.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2016, 11:20:08 am »

I don't know, though... I'm really intrigued about this new back and I seem to find myself using smaller and smaller shifts too.  It has me wondering about shooting the XF and just cropping for composition instead of shifting.  For that, the 28 would be essential... is it any good?  I wanna see some tests and more info about the 16bit pipeline of course, but I'm very intrigued.

CB

Chris, that is probably the one point I am most interested in and may be disappointed by.  However, the new Sony's (on their A7r line) are back illuminated, giving greater lens cast response.  Hopefully this is the case here. 

Insofar as the 16-bit CMOS claim, I am a bit skeptical.  Leica advertises that the new S2 is 16-bits, but I have a really good source who tells me it is really 14-bits amplified to 16-bits. 

Leica does not source their sensors from Sony though, and considering Sony's recent track record on groundbreaking sensors, I would not be surprised if it is a true 16-bit sensor. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 11:53:09 am »

.... I think the Ken & Don anti-workshop just became a lot more interesting.....

You know it!  ;D  :o

It's the BBQ, I tell you! I'll have two Traeger's smoking baby back ribs during Dave Gallagher's C1 Pro 9 class....  ;)

I look forward to meeting you at Capture Integration in Carmel 2016!

ken

Doug Peterson

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 12:32:35 pm »

Congratulations with what most likely is a very nice camera solution for those who need the high resolution. I'm a bit weary about the '16-bit color' claim, but we'll see once the Raw files become available if that really means a (as advertised) 15-bit ADC pipeline converted to 16-bit/channel output.

I look forward to your analysis! Here are a gig of raws to play with:
Phase One IQ3 100mp raw file download

narikin

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2016, 12:47:35 pm »

The price of the Phase One XF 100MP Camera System (with Schneider Kreuznach 80mm LS lens) is 48,990 USD. .

and the back alone, without camera/lens combo?

Doug Peterson

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2016, 12:50:45 pm »

Is the HDMI feed 1080p or 4k/UHD?

At launch, the HDMI supports:
1. 1080p @ 30 fps
2. 1080p @ 25 fps
3. 720p @ 60 fps
4. 720p @ 50 fps

Doug Peterson

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2016, 12:51:25 pm »

and the back alone, without camera/lens combo?

US $43,990

jeff Liao

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2016, 12:57:04 pm »

Iq180 back alone tradein will cost you $26,394

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2016, 01:02:08 pm »

Iq180 back alone tradein will cost you $26,394

I guess we can expect a more reasonably priced update from Hassy soon, and a $12K announcement from Pentax at Photokina. My pro dealer tells me the 645Z has been selling well, and so Pentax will probably want to catch the new train leaving the station.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2016, 01:06:08 pm »

I look forward to your analysis! Here are a gig of raws to play with:
Phase One IQ3 100mp raw file download

Doug thanks, I'm downloading the updated C1 9.0.2, but the files link is perhaps sent by email (and I couldn't enter a non USA location, if that matters)? I'll probably also have to wait for RawDigger to recognize the new Raw file format/size.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. email received, downloading the ZIP
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:28:02 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up