Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony and Lula  (Read 7540 times)

AFairley

Re: Sony and Lula
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 01:02:42 pm »

I do enjoy the smaller, lighter body and lenses of mirrorless gear, especially APS-C.  There are other reasons for my transition too.  For most of what I photograph these days there is no perceptible gain in using my DSLR.  With mirrorless I also don't have to worry about front/back focus adjustments.  Finally, with my Fuji X-T1 I just simply like the controls better and how it feels in my hand.   

I just got back from 3 months in San Miguel de Allende.  Took 800E plus 35mm and 28mm, and X-E2 with 27mm and 18mm.  Shot every day.  End up taking the Nikon out 2 or 3 times. Turns out the Fuji's lighter weight, quieter operation and pre-exposure histogram offset the pretty much marginal amount of IQ and DR I was giving up on my usual 17x22 print size.  And I used to be fine with lugging the D800 + 24-70mm f.2.8 around....  The times they are a changin'.  The Sony may be on the horizon for me.

Peter Mellis

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 02:46:16 pm »

Here's my current take, although I don't know where I fit in the demographic(s). I (strictly amateur) walked around/traveled first with various 35mm cameras, and then with a 35mm camera and lenses, winder, film, etc. Actually took a holiday from photography for some years after getting tired of lugging the kit around. Digital came around and after trying my hand at printing, ripped out the darkroom and moved forward. After close to ten years I once again found myself lugging a pretty heavy (APSC) camera and a few lenses around. Have mostly cut that back to the camera and one lens, either prime or zoom. Just came back from a three week trip (photography secondary) where I carried one camera, a Fuji X100T. I bought this camera because it had an APSC sized sensor, I liked the form factor and was curious about the Xtrans sensor. About an hour ago I printed some of the pictures that I took on the trip and am very pleased with results. Laying aside the camera's quirks and the fact that I'm not used to the fixed, wider focal length (purposely didn't want to buy into another system..yet), I am very happy with the combination of camera size and picture quality. As far as the demographics go, I am over 70 and the next camera I buy, will most definitely be mirrorless.

MarkL

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 03:42:10 pm »

Here's my current take, although I don't know where I fit in the demographic(s). I (strictly amateur) walked around/traveled first with various 35mm cameras, and then with a 35mm camera and lenses, winder, film, etc. Actually took a holiday from photography for some years after getting tired of lugging the kit around. Digital came around and after trying my hand at printing, ripped out the darkroom and moved forward. After close to ten years I once again found myself lugging a pretty heavy (APSC) camera and a few lenses around. Have mostly cut that back to the camera and one lens, either prime or zoom. Just came back from a three week trip (photography secondary) where I carried one camera, a Fuji X100T. I bought this camera because it had an APSC sized sensor, I liked the form factor and was curious about the Xtrans sensor. About an hour ago I printed some of the pictures that I took on the trip and am very pleased with results. Laying aside the camera's quirks and the fact that I'm not used to the fixed, wider focal length (purposely didn't want to buy into another system..yet), I am very happy with the combination of camera size and picture quality. As far as the demographics go, I am over 70 and the next camera I buy, will most definitely be mirrorless.

This is one reason I think Fuji has been very smart in sticking at aps-c size given the performance of sensors now. Full frame cameras like Sony will still end up with the same size lenses. I think they would be well advised to also make f/2 primes that are much smaller and lighter than try and match the 1.4 slr lenses for which good performing versions require them to be zeiss otus and sigma art sized.

Personally the size doesn't bother me too much since I go out to take photographs specifically rather than take a camera along on a day out so I am interested in mirrorless for other reasons. There are times when a less ostentatious camera would be welcome and for this reason I own a second camera alongside the dslr and would rather not have to.

scooby70

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 07:01:23 pm »

Full frame cameras like Sony will still end up with the same size lenses. I think they would be well advised to also make f/2 primes that are much smaller and lighter than try and match the 1.4 slr lenses for which good performing versions require them to be zeiss otus and sigma art sized.

A Sony A7 series camera and just about any lens is still going to be smaller and lighter than a FF DSLR and the same lens. My A7 and 35mm f2.8 or 55mm f1.8 fit in the same small bag I'd take one of my MFT cameras out in.

I see other advantages in mirrorless other than just bulk and weight but if those are the main priorities then I think that an A7 plus one of the native primes makes an attractive and relatively small and light package and certainly not significantly larger or heavier than any of the other interchangeable lens mirrorless options unless you go for one of the smallest MFT cameras and a pancake lens.

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 11:33:24 pm »

does it make sense to cart around a load of stuff that prevents me from going to the loo

:D!!!

Not to mention not being able to see straight, shaky hands, time to waste, way too much money... isn´t this why others buy sports cars?

Look what happened to 4WDs: they used to be designed for off-road adventure until some suit monkies found out most of the people buying them were driving to the supermarket and changed their products accordingly, so now we have 4WDS that are great for going to the supermarket and if you are so old-fashioned you want to head for the hills then you are probably better off with a 10 year old 4WD than a new one.

So maybe camera sellers are just catching up with everybody else if they start designing high end cameras for people who want one that doesn´t prevent them from going to the loo?

Hmmm... is this why I just bought an A7?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:38:21 pm by lowep »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 05:09:46 am »

The dSLR makers have a big problem.

Their customer base is aging to the point they don't want to carry big cameras anymore, and the younger generation is not interested in giant flappy-mirror cameras that suck for video.

Not all DSLRs are big anymore, let alone giant... even in film days, there were big (read pro) cameras and small (read amateur) cameras. My first SLR was a Canon EOS 1000 (aka Rebel) that I bought in 1990 or 1991. The equivalent DSLR today is still small, and packs enormous IQ.

The fact is, the majority of tourists I see in Lisbon, London, Paris, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Muscat, still carry small DSLRs. Some will even have (God forbid!) big DSLRs with L zooms...

Tony Jay

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2015, 05:57:30 am »

The camera industry is undergoing an evolutionary surge currently.
What things will look like once the storm settles is anyones guess.

Nonetheless current mirrorless cameras are stirring up the industry like nothing has since the transition to digital imaging.
(Although thinking about it the wholesale move from point-and-shoot cameras to Smartphones is also right up there.)
Sony products in particular will likely force both Canon and Nikon to radically revise their whole product development and marketing strategy - in fact it almost certainly has already.
Global economic conditions are also going to impact how things develop over the next few years.

Hopefully, both Canon and Nikon will respond constructively and creatively to push the industry to new highs.
One also hopes that the ghost of Kodak is intimidating enough to preclude either putting their heads in the sand.

We are living in uncertain times and time will tell as to who is reading their tealeaves the best.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 06:37:57 am »

Hi,

Just a small comment after shooting Sony A7rII on two weeks of vacation...

The camera is quite nice. What I observed is that it is sort of nice at higher ISOs, so I think we can have smaller maximum apertures on lenses like the Batis 85/1.8 or 24-70/4 zooms. That said, the A7rII still needs a standard zoom to match. Long lens options are also needed. I was shooting the A-mount 70-400/4-5.6G with adapter, and it worked very well.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2015, 07:19:00 am »

I am getting older and I do feel the weight more than I used to but I still lug my 810 around for landscape, surfing and birding, anything else I take my Leica M and usually one lens. The Sony bandwagon does not appeal.
And going in a completely opposite direction - have anyone of you seen the files from the new Leica S007? There is a good reason for those larger sensors.

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2015, 01:48:37 pm »

the majority of tourists I see in Lisbon, London, Paris, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Muscat, still carry small DSLRs. Some will even have (God forbid!) big DSLRs with L zooms...

Many I see are using tablets, which suggests to me size may not be the main consideration.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 07:14:27 pm »

It's fascinating that for all their product planning and market research, some companies have simply ignored the very real demographic change caused by an aging population.

Not wrong.
I can't believe the amount of text around that is simple unreadable for me - even with my glasses.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up