Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 14 bit compressed and uncompressed lossless RAW comes to E mount cameras  (Read 8795 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: 14 bit compressed and uncompressed lossless RAW comes to E mount cameras
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 08:42:42 pm »

Hi,

According to DPReview FPS will not be affected but buffer capacity will be reduced.

Best regards
Erik

I'm guessing this may slow the FPS rate down. Curious how much?
Would be great if the update included a usb3 port;)
How in this day and age for someone trying to do a semi pro camera send out usb2 for 42 mp.
Can't imagine trying to tether this thing.
Erik Kaffehr

RobertJ

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 12:07:25 am »

Can someone point out which camera settings make the camera go to 12 bit?  Will the firmware get rid of this behavior?

Theodoros

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 01:31:40 pm »

I was seriously considering to invest on an A7 (body only) as to combine it with a Cambo Actus and use it instead of an MFDB and the abscence of real raws was the major handicap I could find... I don't think that EVF cameras can replace OVF DSLRs for cases where one hand holds the camera, as I feel that a real optical autopsy is the only way to achieve the required "mind visualization", but for cases where the study of the subject/lighting (and hence the visualization) is performed without a need for one to look through the VF (as are the cases that the camera is on tripod) and the LV is used for the framing and DOF, I find that mirrorless cameras are better. Surely the combination of "real raw" A7Rii with an Actus, will rival any single shot MFDB/view camera combination by at least 95%... and only at a fraction of the cost...  ;)

rogan

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 03:06:13 pm »

I was seriously considering to invest on an A7 (body only) as to combine it with a Cambo Actus and use it instead of an MFDB and the abscence of real raws was the major handicap I could find... I don't think that EVF cameras can replace OVF DSLRs for cases where one hand holds the camera, as I feel that a real optical autopsy is the only way to achieve the required "mind visualization", but for cases where the study of the subject/lighting (and hence the visualization) is performed without a need for one to look through the VF (as are the cases that the camera is on tripod) and the LV is used for the framing and DOF, I find that mirrorless cameras are better. Surely the combination of "real raw" A7Rii with an Actus, will rival any single shot MFDB/view camera combination by at least 95%... and only at a fraction of the cost...  ;)

As EVF's get better you will see how crazy this is.
It makes it a lot easier in low light to do whateveryou said is

Theodoros

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2015, 04:06:06 pm »

As EVF's get better you will see how crazy this is.
It makes it a lot easier in low light to do whateveryou said is

I never said anything about "easy" or "difficult"... I purely referred to visualization (and the creativity that is a consequence of it)... You talk about framing and focusing, which is completely different  and to some (me among them) of trivial importance if it is done through an EVF or an OVF... Visualization is when one pre-visualizes the final print in his mind. It is the fundamental behind every art and thus for photo-graphy too... It's the first chapter, in A.Adams very first book...

John Hollenberg

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 10:13:09 am »

Firmware update is here, installed in about 15 minutes without problems.  Link for those in the US:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=ILCE7RM2&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 11:33:36 am »

I'll confirm that the firmware installed easily enough.  The camera seems to be working just fine.  You can select compressed or uncompressed.  You will need to connect your camera to the computer for the update.  I wish it could be done by SD card update.  In any case all went well  Took about 15 minutes.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

ctz

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 11:55:31 am »

Great to hear that the new firmware is out and everything goes smoothly.
I need to wait until I finish my 2 weeks project, for consistency, and also until Phase One will update CO for uncompressed files, before try it for myself.
We hear that the new firmware also brings simultaneous output to HDMI and USB tethering, which was not possible previously.
Does anyone use this setup and can confirm that it's changed?

Regards,
ctz

shadowblade

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 04:50:42 am »

How do the results compare with the compressed version?

I'd like to see a repeat of the DXOMark tests with uncompressed RAWs, to see how it compares with the D810.

Would also like to see it implemented in other E-mount cameras. Otherwise my A7r will probably be going on sale soon, after less than two years of service...

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 08:46:30 am »

Anyone tried to tether the camera with OS X El Capitan and Lightroom or Sony Remote Camera Control??
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:49:36 am by ACH DIGITAL »
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up