Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally an excellent wide angle lens?  (Read 32466 times)

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
Re: Finally an excellent wide angle lens?
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 05:45:27 pm »

I need a wide lens that is backlight/flare resistant.
The Rodies are too weak in these situations. That's why I prefer the Schneiders, but they need
CF and they are also weak in backlight....... ???
So it's a lot of post processing..........
If the new Otus handles flare perfect, it's a reason to use my Nikon more....(although I don't like the colors :-[)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:47:22 pm by ben730 »

pluton

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 06:14:48 pm »

Zeiss did try a super-speed 25mm in the distant past...I think they never took it past prototype because it was gigantic and not that good optically.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 08:52:29 pm »

The non annoucement of the Otus 24mm f1.4 may mean that they are having a hard time coming up with something significantly better than existing offerings... or it may just be product planning, who knows.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 05:57:36 am »

The non annoucement of the Otus 24mm f1.4 may mean that they are having a hard time coming up with something significantly better than existing offerings... or it may just be product planning, who knows.

My sources, who do know, when asked about the fact that the new Zeiss Otus wide-angle was not announced, responded with the word: "Patience," so it would seem that it is coming. Probably needs its own space and time separate from the Milvus announcement.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 09:34:44 am »

My sources, who do know, when asked about the fact that the new Zeiss Otus wide-angle was not announced, responded with the word: "Patience," so it would seem that it is coming. Probably needs its own space and time separate from the Milvus announcement.

I was told "patience, it is coming" about a replacement for the 18/3.5 (which is probably the weakest lens in their lineup) by the president of the Zeiss camera lens division about 16 months ago ;)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 10:32:16 am »

I do not believe in a 24mm 1.4 Otus lens- simply too expensive/difficult to make within Otus limits.
I do believe in a 35mm 1.4, and probably this year. I guess it will be about 5000€
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 01:26:03 pm »

In the mean time I'll keep shooting those on the DSLR on my favourite model. ;)

Oh dear, cuteness overdose. Off to look at photos of Donald Trump as an antidote

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 04:02:06 pm »

Oh dear, cuteness overdose. Off to look at photos of Donald Trump as an antidote

LOL  ;D

He may look more attractive shot with an Otus?

Cheers,
Bernard

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 02:09:59 pm »

New post on SAR that it may be 28mm, to be announced mid October:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-new-zeiss-otus-is-a-28mm-lens/

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 02:27:44 pm »

28 is pretty boring, but that goes to show just how difficult it is to design a true wide angle that is edge to edge sharp, wide open and does not look and cost like the Large Hadron Collider.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2015, 02:35:05 pm »

I have all three of the recent Zeiss APO lenses, including the Otus 55mm and 85mm. A 28mm Otus may not be as wide as I would like, but if it is as useful as these other three (and as well corrected), I can't wait to have one. Here is one recent shot with the 55mm APO. I love these lenses.

Nikon D810, Zeiss Otus 55mm APO

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2015, 11:35:08 pm »

28 is pretty boring, but that goes to show just how difficult it is to design a true wide angle that is edge to edge sharp, wide open and does not look and cost like the Large Hadron Collider.

Agreed. I'll probably skip it if it not at least 25mm.

Brilliant, more unexpected savings! ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:43:35 am by BernardLanguillier »

shadowblade

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 12:29:07 am »

Disappointed at 28mm... was hoping for 24mm at least.

Unless they skip 24mm and 35mm and end up giving us 14/15mm, 21mm, 28mm, 55mm and 85mm.

No need to do too much on the longer end - there are heaps of super-sharp options in the 70-200mm range from many manufacturers, and AF performance also tends to matter at that end, too. But we really need the sharp UWAs (and, hopefully, a Zeiss tilt-shift).

Malina DZ

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 10:21:47 pm »

It's impossible to please everyone. I, on the contrary, will be quite happy if it is a 28/1.4 (APO) lens. How many 28/1.4 lenses are there? Just two samples from Leica and Nikon? We do need more choices for 75° FOV. Bring it on Zeiss!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 11:15:09 am »

It is boring for some, not boring for others, whatever rocks your boat. I for one like 28mm; starting with the venerable Ricoh GRV film compact back in 2000, of which the current GRX is the spiritual successor. The latter I don't have, but I do shoot with the Sony FE 28 f2, small, not expensive, and a good performer.

Mjollnir

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 11:14:02 pm »

Sorry to have waited so long to reply to this, but I'm just left scratching my head about the inanity of the title.

There have been excellent WA lenses forever.

RobertJ

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2015, 07:29:20 am »

I'd be pleased with a 28mm f/1.8 that is sharp corner to corner, wide open, with no CA/fringing, like the current line.  If it was a 24/25 1.4, I would expect to pay $8,000 to $10,000.

Some people like 35 or 28 for portraits, including me.

I personally hope it's not a 24 or 25. :)

My crazy prediction that makes no sense:  It will be a 32mm.  You heard it here first, folks!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:38:08 am by RobertJ »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2015, 08:02:32 am »

Sorry to have waited so long to reply to this, but I'm just left scratching my head about the inanity of the title.

Well, there are a few very good 35mm wides, but none are excellent.

http://www.lenscore.org

If you think that some wides are excellent, it means that either you have never had the chance to use an excellent prime or at least never on a body revealing their quality.

Cheers,
Bernard

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2015, 08:38:13 am »

28 is pretty boring,

I wouldn't agree. I've been using the cheap and cheerful Nikon 28 1.8G since I switched from Canon and I'm now a real fan of the length and the image quality.
It's wide enough to have some impact without losing the point of the subject or getting bogged down in distortion.

A really really high quality 28 would interest me - though not sure about Otus money.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2015, 08:47:00 am »

Music to my ears, a 28mm Otus. I have a lot of lenses, carefully collected. I have been selling many of them off since the advent of the Otus group. Selling lenses I will never use is an easy way to pay for a new Otus. I don't use most of my Nikon glass, anymore. I would not sell the many industrial lenses that I have, like the El Nikkor APO 105, the Nikkor CRT, and so on. Now, I wish Zeiss would make a macro Otus!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up