Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Phase One XF?  (Read 14166 times)

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: New Phase One XF?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:42:49 am »

The complete silence from the usual suspects with a pecuniary interest in Phase pretty much confirms the rumor.

It'll be interesting to see what they've managed to come up with.

Haters in 3...2....1....

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

sgilbert

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 11:58:26 am »

No need to count down;  just go to the Where is the New Phase One Body thread.

The usual. 

BJL

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 12:00:40 pm »

The complete silence from the usual suspects with a pecuniary interest in Phase pretty much confirms the rumor.

Haters in 3...2....1....
it is rather clearly a genuine leak, with official news coming on Tuesday (June 2), as discussed in the thread
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=99658.msg826127#new
and the cynical ("hater") perspective is already on display there even before any announcement.

For one thing, apparently it is pointless to design and offer new camera bodies or lenses if not accompanied by new sensors.  (One wonders why film camera makers ever bothered with producing new products.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:42:34 pm by BJL »

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:09:42 pm »

Haters in 3...2....1....

- N.

I fully expect a "The New Phase One body does not make a BLT sandwich" thread in a day's time.
Over to you, Paris.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Ken R

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 12:42:59 pm »

Haters in 3...2....1....

- N.

Numero Uno argument by the haters... Price!
Numero dos... Too Clunky / Heavy / Large
Numero tres... Too slow

and so on...

Yeah, the info looks pretty legit and the camera looks very nice. Pending some serious testing it looks very promising. Design wise it looks in line with the IQ backs which are awesome. Overall, great to see advances in Medium Format.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 02:16:55 pm »

I fully expect a "The New Phase One body does not make a BLT sandwich" thread in a day's time.
Over to you, Paris.

It's not good sportsmanship to shoot a sitting bird.

Let's wait for the actual product details, sighting and pricing before we bash it.

I see no reason why a Phase CMOS product should be bad if the body is updated - the image is now mainly Sony and the lenses Schneider :)

Edmund
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:18:42 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

amsp

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 02:19:09 pm »

I'm personally very excited they're bringing back the waist level finder. Unfortunately looking at the pictures I get the impression the handle doesn't swivel, which would make it useless for me at least. I hope I'm wrong. Also, I would have preferred analog knobs and buttons for the basic stuff instead of a touch screen, but I might be in a minority on that point nowadays. Initial impression is that it looks a little too much like previous cameras for me to get hyped, but I really hope looks are deceiving and that I will be blown away once all the details are presented.

Fingers crossed.

sgilbert

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 02:22:24 pm »

Come now, we don't need to know anything to begin bashing. 

To some, that's a specialty. 

BJL

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 02:37:58 pm »

. . . I would have preferred analog knobs and buttons for the basic stuff instead of a touch screen . . .
If you visit the site with the "leaked classified documents" previously posted by voidshatter in that other thread, you will see the words
Change anything with buttons and dials . . . Or just click and change on the touch screen
so they have us old-timers covered too!

P. S. Is defending an unannounced, unreviewed product that I have no interest in buying and will no have significant effect on me one way or another better or worse than criticizing it?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:41:47 pm by BJL »

amsp

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 02:53:47 pm »

If you visit the site with the "leaked classified documents" previously posted by voidshatter in that other thread, you will see the wordsso they have us old-timers covered too!

P. S. Is defending an unannounced, unreviewed product that I have no interest in buying and will no have significant effect on me one way or another better or worse than criticizing it?

If you look at the picture there are no analog knobs, only 3 buttons used to interact WITH the screen. I like to have quick access to basic settings without taking the camera away from my eye and looking down at a screen. I'm also worried that touch screen will impact reliability, it's another thing that can potentially break and need a costly repair. I guess I'm just old school like that.

BJL

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 03:01:05 pm »

If you look at the picture there are no analog knobs, only 3 buttons used to interact WITH the screen. . . .  I guess I'm just old school like that.
I'm going to wait until we have at least seen the whole camera (not just a close up of the touch screen area) and its specs before accusing Phase One of lying and worrying about all the things that they might have done wrong.  I guess I'm just old school like that.

AreBee

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 03:16:07 pm »

BJL,

Is defending an unannounced, unreviewed product that I have no interest in buying and will no have significant effect on me one way or another better or worse than criticizing it?

Equal.

BJL

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 03:24:24 pm »

Equal.
OK, let me refine my question: how about trying to ease concerns or to refute critical claims by quoting directly from what little actual evidence we do have so far?  I confess that the general bias towards cynicism on the internet has driven me in the other direction, to something of an "innocent until proven guilty" bias.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:27:10 pm by BJL »

amsp

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »

I'm going to wait until we have at least seen the whole camera (not just a close up of the touch screen area) and its specs before accusing Phase One of lying and worrying about all the things that they might have done wrong.  I guess I'm just old school like that.

Accusing them of lying? What are you talking about? You seem confused.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 03:47:50 pm »

But honestly when that guy wrote that there would be a new phase one annoucement, I would have bet they had bought Hasselblad, as that seems to be the professional body of choice for phase one users.
BC

As you say, I just got an email from Hassy offering the H5x with some lens for $12K or so.
Which is basically the same price as an H5D40 these days, with the back.
I guess that tells us how badly (not) they are frightened of Phase users with Hassy backs crossgrading to the new body..

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Chris Livsey

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 04:32:01 pm »

Is the reference not to the quote "Change anything with buttons and dials . . . Or just click and change on the touch screen" when there are no dials to be seen, as yet, because we are sadly commenting on leaked pictures.

The compatibly is going to be interesting, what is lost with old backs on a new body and vice versa and how will the new backs play on the other bodies, IF they make H mount available.

BJL

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 04:35:16 pm »

The Phase One document that I quote above clearly say that one can "Change anything with buttons and dials", followed by "Or just click and change on the touch screen", where I emphasize the "or", because that rather clearly suggests that use of the touchscreen to change settings is an option, not mandatory;
the response was
If you look at the picture there are no analog knobs, only 3 buttons used to interact WITH the screen.
So either you are confused, or are accusing Phase One of lying when it suggests that settings can be done without use of the touch screen.

amsp

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 05:12:16 pm »

The Phase One document that I quote above clearly say that one can "Change anything with buttons and dials", followed by "Or just click and change on the touch screen", where I emphasize the "or", because that rather clearly suggests that use of the touchscreen to change settings is an option, not mandatory;
the response wasSo either you are confused, or are accusing Phase One of lying when it suggests that settings can be done without use of the touch screen.

What is it you don't understand? You can either directly use the touch screen or use the buttons to interact, when for example you are using gloves. It's the same way the IQ backs work today. But you can't use the buttons without looking at the screen to navigate the interface, that makes no sense. I'm talking about dedicated buttons and especially knobs for quick access to basic functions, like cameras used to have. It's also just my personal preference as I pointed out several times, so I'm quite bewildered why you feel the need to attack me and use language like "accusing Phase One of lying".

mjrichardson

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 05:38:50 pm »

amsp, what pictures are you looking at? There are very clearly dials on the grip, just look at the pictures.. one above the shutter button and it looks like one on the back along with a button for use with the thumb.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up