I think the regular car companies are getting into EVs as well and some of them look a lot better than the Tesla. But I hope he is successful since America can use some good news for a change. I'm working on a water-fired automobile engine and will be making an announcement as soon as I get a few bugs out of the system.
Yes, there are quite a few new EV companies and some of the new cars look very nice. But they are all years behind Tesla in batteries, software, production volume and affordability. Just in China, they have now over 600 EV car companies (not 600 suppliers, but 600 complete car companies!). Big shakeout is coming in the next few years.
The new Tesla Cybertruck looks quite futuristic and some even say ugly, but they already have 600,000 preorders. Toyota Mirai is one of the first hydrogen cars already on the road. Aptera is an interesting 3 wheeler with two seats in a pretty aerodynamic shell which runs pretty much on air. Charged by the built-in roof solar panel or a 110V electric outlet, with a maximum driving range up to 1,000 miles and a price tag approaching the entry-level 5-seater Tesla. Exciting times.
Jay Leno has a video driving Elon Musk in the Cybertruck protype.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3BH8edQVZ4