Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 113577 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #820 on: September 17, 2019, 11:15:30 am »

Ray, my 2019 Lincoln MKC Ruby Red metallic is sharp.  Here's some photos although these aren't mine.   I get a paltry 19.2 mpg, but regular gas is about $2.50 a gallon.   Not sure what that works or to in other currency and in liters.  But we have cheap gasoline here in the USA.  Gasoline to Americans is like blood to most other people. 😀
https://www.google.com/search?q=2019+lincoln+mkc+ruby+red&tbm=isch&hl=en&chips=q:2019+lincoln+mkc+ruby+red,online_chips:mkc+reserve&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=isvn&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwjU6MXrkNjkAhWNPN8KHdV2A-sQ4lZ6BAgBEBc&biw=360&bih=560

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #821 on: September 17, 2019, 11:25:00 am »

...  miss the sense of that cryptic one!...

Rob, on 9/11 anniversary last week, the NYT tweeted that “Airplanes took aim at the World Trade Center.” Then deleted the tweet after outrage. Similar to a Muslim congresswoman Ilhan Omar describing (earlier) 9/11 as "some people did something." In other words, to go back to Les and the NYT, it isn't that "airplanes took aim..." or that "SUV drove on sidewalk" but people who flew or drove them.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #822 on: September 17, 2019, 12:20:43 pm »

Similar to a Muslim congresswoman Ilhan Omar describing (earlier) 9/11 as "some people did something."

Wrong, fake news. She didn't describe 9/11 that way, you are deliberately taking her comment out of context. She made a statement about that a larger group of people were starting to lose access to their civil liberties when only "some people did something".

Republicans are taking Ilhan Omar’s comments on 9/11 out of context to smear her
https://www.vox.com/2019/4/11/18306436/ilhan-omar-911-islamophobia-republicans
This week, leading Republicans and their allies in the media have been using an out-of-context quote from a recent speech by Rep. Ilham Omar (D-MN) to paint her as an anti-American radical indifferent to those killed during the 9/11 attacks.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #823 on: September 17, 2019, 12:25:09 pm »

And how is that out of context, Bart? Because Vox says so? Put your critical-thinking-hat on, for crying out loud!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #824 on: September 17, 2019, 12:38:59 pm »

... when only "some people did something"....

Seriously, Bart... "when only"!?

9/11 was "only some people did something"!? How is that changing the context? On which planet that can be interpreted as "out of context"?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #825 on: September 17, 2019, 12:49:42 pm »

And how is that out of context, Bart? Because Vox says so? Put your critical-thinking-hat on, for crying out loud!

Frans, one just has to listen to (or read) the actual speech, and look at the venue / situation where it was given. Have you?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #826 on: September 17, 2019, 12:53:17 pm »

Seriously, Bart... "when only"!?

9/11 was "only some people did something"!? How is that changing the context? On which planet that can be interpreted as "out of context"?

Wrong again. You shouldn't listen to Fox propaganda so much but start thinking for yourself.

It's about a speech that Omar had given at a Council on American–Islamic Relations (CAIR) meeting. In the speech Omar said, "CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us [Muslims in the U.S.] were starting to lose access to our civil liberties." (CAIR was founded in 1994, but many new members joined after the 9/11 attacks in 2001.)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #827 on: September 17, 2019, 12:54:25 pm »

Frans, one just has to listen to (or read) the actual speech, and look at the venue / situation where it was given. Have you?

Oh, for God's sake, Bart, yes I did listen to the speech. Please provide a context in which it wasn't a reference to 9/11.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #828 on: September 17, 2019, 12:55:56 pm »

It's about a speech that Omar had given at a Council on American–Islamic Relations (CAIR) meeting. In the speech Omar said, "CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us [Muslims in the U.S.] were starting to lose access to our civil liberties." (CAIR was founded in 1994, but many new members joined after the 9/11 attacks in 2001.)

Fantastic, Bart!

And now does that change anything? What was "some people did something" referring to if not 9/11?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #829 on: September 17, 2019, 01:00:15 pm »

Fantastic, Bart!

And now does that change anything? What was "some people did something" referring to if not 9/11?

The subject was Islamophobia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWFnkNX9m2E

https://www.newsweek.com/ilhan-omar-9-11-controversy-some-people-did-something-defense-1459327
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:08:07 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #831 on: September 17, 2019, 01:10:21 pm »

Nah, Bart, I asked you.

The subject was Islamophobia. The venue was CAIR, which saw a growing number of members after 9/11. And your Islamophobic slurs are getting tiring.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #832 on: September 17, 2019, 01:12:21 pm »

Les, you sound like the New York Times: “Airplanes took aim at the World Trade Center.”
You are right, Slobodan, the car in question wasn't engaged in autonomous driving mode. By the way, at least a dozen publications reported it that way and I just copied it. Maybe because the police didn't release initially the details about the driver and the actual cause, and later there were unconfirmed reports on Monday that the 42 year old driver may have suffered an epileptic fit which caused him to lose control, so technically it was the car which continued driving and caused the carnage.

What we do know is that the car was a high performance Porsche Macan which according to Porsche is the first compact sport-ute “that is also a sports car.” The Porsche hit a traffic light mast before ploughing into pedestrians, and there has been speculation that the first impact may have been enough to stop a lighter vehicle. To get past the traffic light mast and continue through several bollards and a construction fence you need a heavy and powerful rocket.

Based on the Audi Q5 platform, the Macan is available as the S and Turbo, with twin-turbo V6s, standard active all-wheel drive and the Porsche PDK double-clutch transmission. The S is powered by a 340-horsepower 3.0-litre engine, accelerating to 100 km/h in 5.4 seconds (5.2 seconds with the Sport Chrono package). The larger 3.6-litre V6 engine in the Turbo pumps out a formidable 400 horsepower and accelerates the SUV to 100 km/h in 4.8 seconds (4.6 seconds with Sport Chrono). The standard equipment list is extensive and includes a multi-function sport steering wheel with paddle shifters, 19-inch wheels, a high-performance audio system and an electrically operated tailgate.
Just the right cruiser for the city streets.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:28:41 pm by LesPalenik »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #833 on: September 17, 2019, 01:22:17 pm »

The subject was Islamophobia. The venue was CAIR, which saw a growing number of members after 9/11. And your Islamophobic slurs are getting tiring.

Please quote where I used a slur in this thread.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #834 on: September 17, 2019, 01:32:16 pm »

Please quote where I used a slur in this thread.

Slur: "an insinuation or allegation about someone that is likely to insult them or damage their reputation"
Too much work to quote all the threads where you slur Muslims. This thread is yet another one where you use out of context fake news about a Muslim, to slur a group of people based on, in this case, their religion.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #835 on: September 17, 2019, 01:43:56 pm »

Slur: "an insinuation or allegation about someone that is likely to insult them or damage their reputation"
Too much work to quote all the threads where you slur Muslims. This thread is yet another one where you use out of context fake news about a Muslim, to slur a group of people based on, in this case, their religion.

You got to be kidding!? Both in terms of “slur” and “fake news.”
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:47:34 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #836 on: September 17, 2019, 01:56:31 pm »

Image distorts Rep. Omar’s 9/11 remarks
https://www.apnews.com/afs:Content:7354840002

CLAIM: Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota said “My people did something,” in reference to the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False.

False, and thus fake news.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 02:15:26 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #837 on: September 17, 2019, 02:12:56 pm »

Extreme weather indeed...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #838 on: September 17, 2019, 02:17:48 pm »

Image distorts Rep. Omar’s 9/11 remarks
https://www.apnews.com/afs:Content:7354840002

False, fake news.

If ever there was a straw man, this is it (note the bold, where the actual thing was changed or refers to a different image than the one I posted from the NY Post):

CLAIM: Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota said “My people did something,” in reference to the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. An image circulating on Facebook that shows the burning World Trade Center’s twin towers with photos of Omar laughing, wrongly asserts that the Democratic congresswoman said, “My people did something.”

THE FACTS: Omar, the first Muslim refugee elected to Congress, did not say “my people did something” in reference to the terrorist attacks.

1. So, yes, it is technically false that she said "My people did something" because she actually said "some people did something"

2. The AP "fact checking" refers to a different image, the one with a laughing Ilhan superimposed, not the one NY Post used.

So, the "false" verdict is based on false premises.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #839 on: September 17, 2019, 02:35:59 pm »

If ever there was a straw man, this is it (note the bold, where the actual thing was changed or refers to a different image than the one I posted from the NY Post):

The image you posted was also a fake representation of what was said and the partial quote was taken out of context.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 114   Go Up