Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 113030 times)

Ray

Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #800 on: September 15, 2019, 12:53:34 pm »

While higher levels of sea water will cause long-term problems for coastal areas, countries will have to just spend more for ameliorating those areas as they have in the past.  We may be forced to move out from those areas, something that has very often happened in history due to environmental changes.

Alan,
We already have a solution to rising sea levels. It's the same solution that would protect everyone from the devastating effects of floods, and provide additional water resources for agriculture.

You might have heard of the Millennium Drought in Australia. It commenced around the beginning of the century, or a bit before, and lasted to 2010. Dam levels were extremely low and many desalination plants were built on the basis that such droughts would become more common as a result of climate change.

Then, towards the end of 2010, and into 2011, a massive La Nina event struck. Dams overflowed, causing significant damage to property, and a very large inland lake called Lake Eyre, which is around 9,500 square kilometres in area and is often dry, completely filled.

The consequence of so much rainfall being sequestered in dams and this huge inland lake, was that sea levels stopped rising globally for 18 months. Initially they fell slightly, but didn't rise above previous levels for 18 months.
If we'd had the sense to build more dams during the millennium drought, in anticipation of future heavy rain, instead of taking the advice of climate alarmists and building desalination plants, I think sea level rise would have halted for at least 2 years.

Of course, Australia by itself is not the solution. At the moment we are experiencing another drought, but other countries, such as Thailand, are experiencing damaging floods with lots of excess water flowing back to sea.
Retaining that excess water in all countries that experience periods of heavy rainfall, will definitely stop sea levels rising, as well as reducing flood damage and loss of life.

ps. I should have mentioned that the excess water was contained not only in Australia, but also in northern South America.

https://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/OceanEvents/GRACE_2010-11_GMSL_ENSO_Oct2012

"Comparing the 2010-11 drop in GMSL to the change in ocean mass measured by GRACE indicates that the temporary decrease was related to freshwater transport from the ocean to the continents. The GRACE satellites also provide estimates of terrestrial water storage. This information is used to determine to what region of the world the freshwater was transported. The satellite observations show that more water than normal occurred in Australia and northern South America."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 07:04:41 pm by Ray »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #801 on: September 15, 2019, 09:15:37 pm »

Alan,

this alert is for you. The warm weather is causing the Lone Star ticks to travel north, and this tick is causing a meat allergy in humans.
So, the meat eaters will have two choices - either stop the global warming or switch to vegan diet.

A veterinary clinic in southern Ontario is sounding the alarm after discovering a rare tick known to cause a meat allergy in humans. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/tick-that-makes-people-allergic-to-red-meat-spotted-in-ontario-1.4486154?fbclid=IwAR2A_AOsja9JiDx1IwrgW2ApGy4_BWsEPGjUS3zDBzz7amBz4BmeM659LrM

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #802 on: September 15, 2019, 10:14:15 pm »

Alan,

this alert is for you. The warm weather is causing the Lone Star ticks to travel north, and this tick is causing a meat allergy in humans.
So, the meat eaters will have two choices - either stop the global warming or switch to vegan diet.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/tick-that-makes-people-allergic-to-red-meat-spotted-in-ontario-1.4486154?fbclid=IwAR2A_AOsja9JiDx1IwrgW2ApGy4_BWsEPGjUS3zDBzz7amBz4BmeM659LrM

OK.  You've convinced me.  We have to stop CO2 immediately!!!!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #803 on: September 15, 2019, 10:23:17 pm »

OK.  You've convinced me.  We have to stop CO2 immediately!!!!

So, you're anti-wildlife as well .., why not give those ticks a chance.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #804 on: September 15, 2019, 10:30:02 pm »

Les, All kidding aside, I've used Permethrin impregnated clothing.  I never had a tick found on me. Good for other insects so they say. But I can;t personally confirm that.  Manufacturer impregnated clothes are good for the life of the garment or 70 washings (don;t clean at a cleaners).  I had Permethrin socks, pants, shirts, and hat.  I would tuck my pants legs into my socks and shirt into my pants.  Looks goofy, but really works.  Clothes are pricey, but that just what it is.  Check with Insect Shield, Ex Officio, Bean, and other sporting sites.  Here's one.
https://www.insectshield.com/What-Is-Insect-Shield.aspx
The alternative is to buy Permethrin from Sawyer or one of the other insect repellent companies.  (Note:  DEET is an insect repellent.  Permethrin is an insecticide.  It kills them.  You spray it on clothes you want to protect the night before you leave for camping.  It's only good for about two weeks and two washing.  But handy for just going away for a week or so. If you're getting in and out of the woods to just shoot pictures throughout the year, it's more convenient to buy the manufacturer's already impregnated type.  Ticks are really bad.  Nothing to play around with.  Protect yourself. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #805 on: September 15, 2019, 10:40:08 pm »

So, you're anti-wildlife as well .., why not give those ticks a chance.
I really hate them.  My dog almost died from Lyme disease or some other tick borne illness.  I got bit by a Lyme carrying tick.  Took antibiotics to kill the disease before it really got started.  There are diseases now they have no cure for.  Where I live now in New Jersey and before in New York, it's really the worst.  I've stop hiking and won;t go deep into the woods to shoot picture.  I won;t go at all if I'm wearing regular clothes, which reminds me I need to buy some Permethrin clothes. 

Lyme disease has hit Europe.  (Revised)  Don;t play games with these things, Bart.  They're killers and maimers and are even spreading to back yards and front lawns. 

It looks very serious in The Netherlands.  Check the map at the bottom.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30514310

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #806 on: September 15, 2019, 11:44:14 pm »

I really hate them.  My dog almost died from Lyme disease or some other tick borne illness.  I got bit by a Lyme carrying tick.  Took antibiotics to kill the disease before it really got started.  There are diseases now they have no cure for.  Where I live now in New Jersey and before in New York, it's really the worst.  I've stop hiking and won;t go deep into the woods to shoot picture.  I won;t go at all if I'm wearing regular clothes, which reminds me I need to buy some Permethrin clothes. 

Lyme disease has hit Europe.  (Revised)  Don;t play games with these things, Bart.  They're killers and maimers and are even spreading to back yards and front lawns. 

It looks very serious in The Netherlands.  Check the map at the bottom.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30514310

Thanks for the tip about Permethrin, Alan. The problem is that the ticks can be now anywhere, even in backyards or falling down from the trees lining the sidewalks.
So far, I was lucky not see any ticks around my house (but the Japanese beetles were very numerous this summer). I don't want to get into the protective clothing when just mowing the lawn, watering the garden, or picking up parsley for my soup. Maybe we should build some kind of wall on our southern border to prevent them from coming.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #807 on: September 15, 2019, 11:49:56 pm »

Thanks for the tip about Permethrin, Alan. The problem is that the ticks can be now anywhere, even in backyards or falling down from the trees lining the sidewalks.
So far, I was lucky not see any ticks around my house (but the Japanese beetles were very numerous this summer). I don't want to get into the protective clothing when just mowing the lawn, watering the garden, or picking up parsley for my soup. Maybe we should build some kind of wall on our southern border to prevent them from coming.

Get an AR-15 and shoot the deer.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #808 on: September 16, 2019, 12:08:38 am »

Just learned that Insect SHield will treat your own clothes with Permethrin. 
https://www.insectshield.com/IS-Your-Own-Clothes-P338.aspx

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #809 on: September 16, 2019, 12:13:34 am »

Les, when doing your garden work, here's a coverall with permethrin you could use.
https://www.insectshield.com/Mens-Cotton-Coverall-P61.aspx

PS.  I always use light colored clothes so you can see the ticks better as well.

Ray

« Reply #810 on: September 16, 2019, 08:03:22 pm »

Now I understand why there is not a world-wide movement to control potential flooding, protect people's homes and lives, and reduce sea level rise. There are more important issues that need to be addressed, such as protecting people from ticks.  ;D

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #811 on: September 16, 2019, 09:31:48 pm »

The attack on Saudi oil fields and the reduction in oil has shown how important fracking is especially to the US.  Will it gain more acceptance. Also, the decrease in the availability of oil and the raising of oil and natural gas prices will have an affect on the thinking about how to move forward regarding climate change.  It might remind people of the importance of fossil fuels. Others may find that it will encourage getting off fossil fuels that much sooner, climate change or not.  Others may only be concerned about the possibility of a wide war.  What affect to you think?

Ray

« Reply #812 on: September 16, 2019, 11:42:33 pm »

The attack on Saudi oil fields and the reduction in oil has shown how important fracking is especially to the US.  Will it gain more acceptance. Also, the decrease in the availability of oil and the raising of oil and natural gas prices will have an affect on the thinking about how to move forward regarding climate change.  It might remind people of the importance of fossil fuels. Others may find that it will encourage getting off fossil fuels that much sooner, climate change or not.  Others may only be concerned about the possibility of a wide war.  What affect to you think?

There are usually both positive and negative effects to consider when motivating action or progress in a particular direction.

Nuclear power plants potentially have the tremendously positive effects of cheap and reliable power, but potential negative effects if there's an earthquake, a terrorist attack, or general mismanagement of the system, and/or inadequate maintenance due to cost-cutting measures or a lack of adequate training of the staff.

There is also the problem that a wide-spread supply of Uranium makes it easier for countries to develop their own atomic weapons.

In view of the negatives, I can appreciate why the  atomic power option is not popular. Australia has a huge quantity of Uranium. We also have large remote areas in arid regions where atomic waste can safely be buried, yet we have rejected the use of atomic power. We have chosen to have among the most expensive electricity in the world instead of the cheapest. Dear me!  :(

Fossil fuels also have their negatives, such as the occasional oil spills which contaminate the oceans, the contamination of the underground water systems during fracking, the destruction of the environment during open-cut mining of coal, and of course the 'real' harmful emissions when fossil fuels are burned to supply energy without adequate emission controls of chemicals such as SO2, CO, particulate carbon, and so on.

The main problem, as I see it, is that whilst it's true that all these negatives can be overcome through an application of competence, using the latest technology, the history of mankind implies that we are not up to the job. Corruption, incompetence, self-interest, and so on, tends to prevail too often.

This is one of the main arguments in favour of renewable energy. Another is that fossil fuel supplies are limited, and will eventually become scarce. The sun, however, will probably last for a very long time. Developing solar energy and electric vehicles is very sensible, and it's better to do it before fossil fuels become scarce.

Unfortunately, the transition to renewables will be far more expensive than it needs to be, because of the necessity of lying about the harmful effects of CO2 in order to get action.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:48:38 pm by Ray »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #813 on: September 17, 2019, 12:35:02 am »

Ford Motor Company will invest $11.5 billion electrifying its F150 pickup trucks by 2022, including adding 16 fully electric models, all of which will be profitable.  GM  will be developing electric Silverado Pickup trucks.  They'll be competing with Tesla.  Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV , has no current plans for an all-electric Ram, while Toyota Motor Corp is betting more heavily on a hybrid Tundra pickup. Paris Compact?  What's that?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-electric-pickups-focus/ford-gm-rev-up-electric-pickup-trucks-to-head-off-tesla-idUSKCN1VY0YE

Ray

« Reply #814 on: September 17, 2019, 01:25:35 am »

Ford Motor Company will invest $11.5 billion electrifying its F150 pickup trucks by 2022, including adding 16 fully electric models, all of which will be profitable.  GM  will be developing electric Silverado Pickup trucks.  They'll be competing with Tesla.  Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV , has no current plans for an all-electric Ram, while Toyota Motor Corp is betting more heavily on a hybrid Tundra pickup. Paris Compact?  What's that?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-electric-pickups-focus/ford-gm-rev-up-electric-pickup-trucks-to-head-off-tesla-idUSKCN1VY0YE

Alan,
In the article you linked, there's no mention of the cost of these electric vehicles being developed. Why would anyone, except the rich for whom money is not a concern, pay triple the price for an electric vehicle of the same size and comfort as the petrol or diesel equivalent?

If the price becomes just 50% more, and the reduced cost of maintenance and energy required to recharge the batteries, including possible replacement the batteries over the life of the vehicle, compared with the alternative cost of petrol for the same mileage, offsets that initial additional cost, then buying the electric vehicle would make economic sense.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:30:14 am by Ray »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #815 on: September 17, 2019, 01:48:19 am »

Alan,
In the article you linked, there's no mention of the cost of these electric vehicles being developed. Why would anyone, except the rich for whom money is not a concern, pay triple the price for an electric vehicle of the same size and comfort as the petrol or diesel equivalent?

If the price becomes just 50% more, and the reduced cost of maintenance and energy required to recharge the batteries, including possible replacement the batteries over the life of the vehicle, compared with the alternative cost of petrol for the same mileage, offsets that initial additional cost, then buying the electric vehicle would make economic sense.

Another point is that very few people really need such heavy trucks and vehicles.
There are quite a few such trucks on US and Canadian roads, usually carrying just one person and empty truck bed. In contrast, on European highways you hardly ever see this category of trucks, although one third of vehicles on the road now are SUVs. Last week, in Berlin a heavy Porsche SUV drove on a sidewalk in downtown area killing four pedestrians, including a three-year-old boy, and injured five others. There is a lot of deadly energy in such a heavy SUV. The vehicle bent a traffic light mast and several bollards, broke through a construction fence and only stopped when it hit a building.

After the accident, German politicians are demanding regulations to keep large SUVs out of inner cities. You don't need a tank-like SUV to drive to work, movie or opera.

https://www.thelocal.de/20190909/deadly-berlin-accident-spurs-debate-on-banning-suvs-from-city-centres

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #816 on: September 17, 2019, 08:17:45 am »

The article said they might only sell 30,000 electric pickups which seems not worth it.  I suspect they'll keep the cost competitive.  But they're planning for the future, if the Democrats win, California imposes new standards, etc.  As far as who needs a pickup, well that's a great question.  I wouldn't buy one.  I don;t think I could convince my wife to sit on a chair back there.  But many people like them.  If you're into farming, construction contracting etc.  and need a small truck with an open flatbed.  For others, it's  an American cultural thing.  Why would anyone drink warm beer?  :)

AS far as SUV's, I have one but  I also have a sedan.  The SUV is nice.  It's only 4 cylinders (turbocharged). It's high sitting up there for better visibility.  4 wheel drive.  It's a smaller SUV, my wife likes it and feels safer to drive.  The room on larger autos and SUV's are nice.  It's comfortable and smoother driving especially on long trips which Americans do more than Europeans.  My wife and I drive 18000 miles a year combined.  WHo wants to be cramped in a little VW?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #817 on: September 17, 2019, 09:54:17 am »

Apparently green energy will not create more jobs but rather Less jobs. 25000 green energy jobs in the car industry in Germany will be created, 75000 traditional jobs will be lost. The same issue in the United States as .
General Motors employees are striking because of it.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiPmh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LndpcmVkLmNvbS9zdG9yeS9zaGlmdC1lbGVjdHJpYy12ZWhpY2xlcy1zdHJpa2UtZ20v0gFBaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cud2lyZWQuY29tL3N0b3J5L3NoaWZ0LWVsZWN0cmljLXZlaGljbGVzLXN0cmlrZS1nbS9hbXA?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #818 on: September 17, 2019, 10:04:09 am »

... in Berlin a heavy Porsche SUV drove on a sidewalk in downtown area killing four pedestrians...

Les, you sound like the New York Times: “Airplanes took aim at the World Trade Center.”

Rob C

« Reply #819 on: September 17, 2019, 10:53:21 am »

Les, you sound like the New York Times: “Airplanes took aim at the World Trade Center.”

It's probably the music that's putting me off, but I miss the sense of that cryptic one!

Regarding the SUV syndrome: yes, it's a pain in the ass to others. They are too high and block your view, and do nothing to keep the owners safe: the damned things are top heavy, as with the original Mercedes A Class. If you actually look at the undercarriage of some of these SUVs, they are not really that much higher up than cars, so you don't get much extra clearance if you live in the sticks and think they are your answer to broken sumps.

If folks want big engines, well, that's a choice, and if they can afford it, fair enough. Grunt can save your life. I once had a basic Fiesta Festival - around 1000cc - and it scared the hell out of us all - no acceleration. Never again. Whether you really use all that more gas driving a large engine or a small one at the same speed - who knows? A little engine is always revving its heart out. A big one just ticks over.

But then, when did cars last have good looks? Maybe the BMW 3 Coupe of some years ago... the Mercedes 300SL gullwing doors; an Alfa or three; perhaps the Pagoda Roof... Mostly, they became blobs on wheels. The new MX5 looks hot in cherry red.

;-(
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 114   Go Up