Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 113435 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #840 on: September 17, 2019, 02:40:21 pm »

The image you posted was also a fake representation of what was said and the partial quote was taken out of context.

Again, please provide the context in which the quote would have a different meaning.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #841 on: September 17, 2019, 02:47:13 pm »

Again, please provide the context in which the quote would have a different meaning.

Already provided in the links I posted.

BTW, care to explain why the reference to Ilhan Omar was brought into this thread?
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #842 on: September 17, 2019, 04:31:38 pm »

OK Bart, let me use an analogy. It's late May 1940. Earlier that month, on the 14th, the Germans bombed the Dutch city of Rotterdam, killing 900 people and making 90,000 homeless. A German complains that many Dutch people hate Germans because of what happened on May 14 and refers to the senseless slaughter as "some airplanes did something". Is this close enough to home for you? It is for me as I was born and raised in the Netherlands. Can you take that statement out of context as well? I like to see you do it.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #843 on: September 17, 2019, 04:49:08 pm »

The image you posted was also a fake representation of what was said and the partial quote was taken out of context.
It's interesting that when Trump says something, you and most of the left media always look for the worst interpretation of what he said.  But in this case, you support the most generous interpretation.  It would be nice if you gave our President the same courtesy. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #844 on: September 17, 2019, 05:14:36 pm »

... BTW, care to explain why the reference to Ilhan Omar was brought into this thread?

Blame it on Les, he started it ;)

Les seemed to blame a car* for pedestrians' death (sorry, Les, I know you didn't mean it that way).

Which, in turn, reminded me of the similar attempt just a few days ago by the NYT to blame airplanes for 9/11. Which is done in the same spirit as Omar's quote - to minimize, trivialize, obfuscate, and obscure the real perpetrators behind 9/11: not cars, not planes, not "some people," but radical Islamists.

* SUV, the link to the Extreme weather thread

Ray

« Reply #845 on: September 18, 2019, 01:55:21 am »

Dear me! Some of you people do have a tendency to so easily get off topic, don't you?.   ;D  :(

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #846 on: September 18, 2019, 02:17:59 am »

Dear me! Some of you people do have a tendency to so easily get off topic, don't you?.   ;D  :(

That's what makes these discussions so irresistible and valuable.

Ray

« Reply #847 on: September 18, 2019, 02:49:29 am »

Okay! To keep you all entertained whilst remaining on topic, here's a video of some recent flooding in Pattaya, Thailand.

All this water would very soon have flowed back to the sea, contributing to sea level rise. Stopping or just delaying its return to the ocean, would have reduced the rate of sea level rise, globally.

When there are regularly probably a hundred or more similar events every year, globally, many of which are much worse, sensible water management policy could stop sea level rise dead in its tracks, so all you wealthy people with homes by the beach could relax.  ;D

https://www.newsflare.com/video/258235/weather-nature/cars-drive-through-flooded-streets-of-pattaya-thailand-as-rainstorm-hits

Rob C

« Reply #848 on: September 18, 2019, 05:07:34 am »

Blame it on Les, he started it ;)

Les seemed to blame a car* for pedestrians' death (sorry, Les, I know you didn't mean it that way).

Which, in turn, reminded me of the similar attempt just a few days ago by the NYT to blame airplanes for 9/11. Which is done in the same spirit as Omar's quote - to minimize, trivialize, obfuscate, and obscure the real perpetrators behind 9/11: not cars, not planes, not "some people," but radical Islamists.

* SUV, the link to the Extreme weather thread

Isn't that interesting?

It's exactly the technique employed by the gun lobby: it's not guns, it's people kill people.

And it's people who should be banned from owning guns; they (guns) serve no purpose but to kill, whereas vehicles of all types, land, sea and air are what our civilization today depends upon: mobility.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what the Brexiteers are trying to achieve: immobilise Parliament; prevent discussion, restrict mobility of the people; obfuscate about the entire lie that was sold to the poor old ignorant (if only of the facts) voting public; misrepresent the European standpoint at every turn by demonising its negotiators in true, Brit red top manner.

In other words, build up as much national hatred and misunderstanding about the other "side" as you can stoke in order to divert from the facts of the case, and cover it in multiple folds of a cloak of confusion until the public screams out for it all to stop! Then, when the public's on its spiritual knees, bully through your original intent. Democracy at its best, no doubt.

And until people are educated enough to think for themselves, it will ever be so.

Everything, it seems, is connected with everything else.

Rob C

« Reply #849 on: September 18, 2019, 05:10:25 am »

That's what makes these discussions so irresistible and valuable.

Absolutely, and often the drift is into more interesting waters.

Just like real conversation.

;-)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #850 on: September 18, 2019, 05:23:40 am »

[...]
In other words, build up as much national hatred and misunderstanding about the other "side" as you can stoke in order to divert from the facts of the case, and cover it in multiple folds of a cloak of confusion until the public screams out for it all to stop! Then, when the public's on its spiritual knees, bully through your original intent. Democracy at its best, no doubt.

And until people are educated enough to think for themselves, it will ever be so.

Everything, it seems, is connected with everything else.

Hear, hear.

The MO is obvious. If you can't convince them, confuse them (and distract them, by creating an outside enemy).

Cheers,
Bart

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #851 on: September 18, 2019, 03:24:34 pm »

Any comments on my previous post, Bart?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #852 on: September 18, 2019, 05:35:28 pm »

Any comments on my previous post, Bart?

If you insist, the analogy doesn't make sense, on several fronts.

Ilhan Omar had given a speech in March 2019 at a banquet hosted by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) in which she talked about the rise of Islamophobia and the erosion of the Muslim community’s civil liberties after 9/11, stating that the community as a whole was being punished for the actions of a few.

I have trouble seeing the analogies with the start of WWII, where our neighbor country invaded our country on May 10th, 1940, and tried to break the resistance against that invasion by flattening the center of a major city on May 14th to achieve a general capitulation.

I also fail to see the connection to Extreme Weather, unless one tries to make a misplaced cynical joke about it raining bombs.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #853 on: September 18, 2019, 06:41:43 pm »

Ilhan Omar had given a speech in March 2019 at a banquet hosted by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) in which she talked about the rise of Islamophobia and the erosion of the Muslim community’s civil liberties after 9/11, stating that the community as a whole was being punished for the actions of a few.

I have trouble seeing the analogies with the start of WWII, where our neighbor country invaded our country on May 10th, 1940, and tried to break the resistance against that invasion by flattening the center of a major city on May 14th to achieve a general capitulation.

I also fail to see the connection to Extreme Weather, unless one tries to make a misplaced cynical joke about it raining bombs.
The American Muslim community is not being punished nor are their civil liberties being diminished in the USA.  Of course there are bigoted people who have done things to them and other minorities as well.  But these criminals are prosecuted to the full extents of our laws.   I'd compare Muslim freedoms and rights here any day to the way Muslims are being treated in European countries where they can;t even wear their hijab in many places.  Most Muslims are not treated as full citizens of the countries they live in Europe and are marginalized. 

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #854 on: September 18, 2019, 06:46:10 pm »

You don't understand the analogy between "some people did something" and "some airplanes did something"? Come on now, get a grip.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #855 on: September 18, 2019, 06:58:32 pm »

Recent posts to this thread have had what only those blessed with a vivid imagination could consider even a tenuous connection with extreme weather. As I've indicated before, I'm not against topic drift, but this is excessive. If you want to bicker about what a junior congresswoman has said about terrorism, that's fine: but start a new thread.

Jeremy

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #856 on: September 18, 2019, 07:01:35 pm »

You don't understand the analogy between "some people did something" and "some airplanes did something"? Come on now, get a grip.

let me see 

The analogy between
"some     people     did something"     and
"some   airplanes   did something"

10, 9 , 8, 7 ,6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, RING RING

extreme Weather?

10 points!
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ray

« Reply #857 on: September 19, 2019, 08:55:42 am »

I suspect the complexities of the climate are too great for serious discussion, so the off-topic discussions are so much easier.  ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #858 on: September 19, 2019, 01:24:56 pm »

It's all a lot of hot air.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #859 on: September 19, 2019, 01:46:52 pm »

It's all a lot of hot air.
Not only that, the extremes can range now from super hot to super cold, super wet and super windy.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 114   Go Up