Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Religious Freedom Act  (Read 140712 times)

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
Re: Religious Freedom Act
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2015, 01:52:24 pm »

Discrimination has to be directed and recognized by the people being discriminated against. I don't have to believe or disbelieve in the Nazi's agenda to accept or not accept their job offer, and I don't have to discriminate to get out of doing the work!

You're redefining discrimination to suit your agenda. Recognition by the discriminee has nothing to do with it.

dis·crim·i·na·tion
dəˌskriməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
"victims of racial discrimination"
synonyms:   prejudice, bias, bigotry, intolerance, narrow-mindedness, unfairness, inequity, favoritism, one-sidedness, partisanship; More
antonyms:   impartiality
recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.

AlterEgo

« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2015, 02:11:50 pm »

Markadams99: Nope. I am a mere amateur, and have never shot any event beyond the local photo club meeting and have never done any PJ.  But if a KKK member shows up at my hospital, I will participate in his medical care, as for any other patient.

do you own a hospital (means - it is your business, you are a business owner of the said hospital) ?

AlterEgo

« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2015, 02:13:54 pm »

You're redefining discrimination to suit your agenda.
he already recognized his fault in the logical reasoning and no longer insisting on that part  ;D ...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2015, 02:32:58 pm »

... Would you accept my commission for my next KKK "ban the bum" rally?

Mark, you'd need to qualify that request to say that the resulting photograph should portray the rally and each participant in a positive light, not just document it. Just like the expectation for a wedding photographer is to produce nice, lovely, artistic, romantic, memorable, cute, etc. images of a wedding, not just any. Which would be hard for a photographer opposing gay marriage. Just like it would be hard for Diego to portray in a favorable light a rally by bigots under the banner "Starve Fags to Death."

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2015, 02:42:24 pm »

That's not always the case: I'm sure Kurt Wise is not the only educated creationist out there.
Being educated and a creationist! That's oxymoronic statement if ever I heard one.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2015, 02:48:48 pm »

You're redefining discrimination to suit your agenda. Recognition by the discriminee has nothing to do with it.
It's not mine if you look at the source.

I gave very concrete examples of discrimination and what the discriminee (is that a made up word?) may or may not be aware of.

IF I am a Nazi and I'm asked to shoot a wedding with other Nazi's and refuse (decline) without saying why, did I discriminate? No. If I'm not a Nazi and I'm asked to shoot a wedding with Nazi's and refuse (decline) without saying why, did I discriminate? No. In either case if I'm asked to shoot a wedding with Nazi's and refuse by telling the couple I hate Nazi's, boom, I discriminated. It's as simple as that.

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jjj

« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00:17 pm »

I think something should be mentioned here with regard to the facile comparisons re KKK/Nazis and gays. One group is simply describing a sexual preference, the other two are organisations that engaged in illegal acts and are responsible for killing a lot of innocent people. Not wanting to work for potential murderers is in no way comparable to not wanting to work for someone who likes to kiss the same sex, which is perfectly legal.
'Incitement to racial hatred' which is what Nazis and the KK do/did is however illegal here in the UK. So doing promotional work for them such as say photography could be considered aiding and abetting, therefore opening you up to prosecution. So refusing a job offer from them may be the smart thing to do.

AlterEgo

« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2015, 03:01:48 pm »

Being educated and a creationist! That's oxymoronic statement if ever I heard one.
pope

AlterEgo

« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2015, 03:05:34 pm »

One group is simply describing a sexual preference,

so are zoophiles and other minorities

the other two are organisations that engaged in illegal acts and are responsible for killing a lot of innocent people.

so does Israel  ;) => all jews are ? yes, arabs too.... all of them

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2015, 03:07:15 pm »

Godwin's law already killed this thread.

But I will say it's nice to see Kevin and Michael take such a firm stance against this stupidity.

AlterEgo

« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2015, 03:07:23 pm »

illegal here in the UK.
we are talking about a different country... not sure what that island has to do with the free state of Indiana ?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2015, 03:09:11 pm »

...'Incitement to racial hatred' which is what Nazis and the KK do/did is however illegal here in the UK...

Neo-Nazis and KKK are legal in the U.S.

jjj

« Reply #212 on: April 02, 2015, 03:11:35 pm »

we are talking about a different country...
And you completely missed the overall point. Which was not geographically specific.

not sure what that island has to do with the free state of Indiana ?
Free!? Free to discriminate it would seem, that's about as far as it goes.

jjj

« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2015, 03:15:57 pm »

so are zoophiles and other minorities
Your point being?

so does Israel  ;) => all jews are ? yes, arabs too.... all of them
Dear me. Possibly the most pathetic argument ever, one kids particularly like to indulge in. "But they are doing it too....".
The one that gets usually gets dragged out whenever there is no actual argument against the point being made.

jjj

« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2015, 03:17:09 pm »

Neo-Nazis and KKK are legal in the U.S.
Being a Nazi or indeed KKK member is not illegal here either as far as I know Indulging in certain types of behaviour is however.

telyt

« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2015, 03:18:39 pm »

pope

Google is your friend.  From http://www.newsweek.com/pope-franciss-remarks-evolution-are-not-controversial-among-roman-catholics-281115

".. before he became pope, Ratzinger delivered an address at the Vatican in 2002 in which he stated that “converging evidence from many studies in the physical and biological sciences furnishes mounting support for some theory of evolution to account for the development and diversification of life on Earth.”

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2015, 03:19:29 pm »

Being a Nazi or indeed KKK member is not illegal here either as far as I know Indulging in certain types of behaviour is however.

Again, the threshold what constitutes illegal behavior is much higher here, in the land of the free.

AlterEgo

« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2015, 03:49:03 pm »

Google is your friend.  From http://www.newsweek.com/pope-franciss-remarks-evolution-are-not-controversial-among-roman-catholics-281115

".. before he became pope, Ratzinger delivered an address at the Vatican in 2002 in which he stated that “converging evidence from many studies in the physical and biological sciences furnishes mounting support for some theory of evolution to account for the development and diversification of life on Earth.”

did I say which pope ?

AlterEgo

« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2015, 03:52:05 pm »

Your point being?
point is that their particular inclinations do not make them somehow better than other inclinations of a similar kind

Dear me. Possibly the most pathetic argument ever, one kids particularly like to indulge in. "But they are doing it too....".
The one that gets usually gets dragged out whenever there is no actual argument against the point being made.

same logic - you try to smear individual(s) by association

jjj

« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2015, 03:54:25 pm »

Again, the threshold what constitutes illegal behavior is much higher here, in the land of the free.
One of the most annoying things about some Americans is the arrogant, inaccurate and smug wittering on about "the land of the free" as if you were were somehow different to most other developed democracies. You really are not btw.
Also if you think you are such a free country, try and photograph or discuss the workings of the agriculture/livestock industry. You may find your right to free speech is very severely curtailed.

The other irritating thing is that Americans thinks everyone else wants to be one, when in fact people are usually quite happy being their own nationality in their own country. Here in the UK, saying something is getting Americanised is an insult, not a compliment. A country where discriminatory laws get passed and nonsense like creationism is taught in schools as fact is a country going back to the dark ages, not one progressing forwards.

As for this part of your post...
'Again, the threshold what constitutes illegal behavior is much higher here' What are you trying to say with that ridiculous statement? That it's harder to prove someone is guilty? As that's how it seems to read.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Up