Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Mask in LR 5.7--excellent and amazing tool  (Read 35631 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Auto Mask in LR 5.7--excellent and amazing tool
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 04:37:01 pm »

What I was saying is whatever the guy in the video was trying to accomplish in Lightroom can be easily done inside Photoshop,  even in version 7 or CS2. And that is a technical fact. So the op's claim it can only be done easily in Lightroom is technically incorrect. Do you have beef with my claim?

Yep...the Auto Mask tool in LR is a one step process that when used correctly makes parametric image adjustments in a manner you can't do in Photoshop. To do the same work in Photoshop would require multiple masks and adjustments. In LR, a single mask can be used to control all the adjustment channels available to the Adjustment Brush. I know Photoshop real well, I also know LR very well...knowing both I can pick and choose when and where I do my adjustments. The adjustments in the OP's videos are more easily done in LR. You could accomplish the same thing in Camera Raw, but not the version of camera raw that comes with CS2.

So, do you have a legit license to Photoshop CS2? It would be useful to know to determine the validity of your arguments :~)

James R

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 07:33:49 pm »

Gulag will not entertain questions from slaves.  A little history, Gulag was a Soviet government agency that administered its slave labor camps.  :)

Schewe

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2015, 01:44:26 am »

Gulag will not entertain questions from slaves.

Huh? Total non sequitur...what's your point?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 04:07:18 am »

So, do you have a legit license to Photoshop CS2? It would be useful to know to determine the validity of your arguments :~)

I think his non-answer makes it pretty plain, Jeff. There'd be no need for such pretentious drivel if the true answer were "yes".

Jeremy

James R

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 04:10:16 am »

Huh? Total non sequitur...what's your point?

Jeff, Just an apparent poor attempt at a little humor--his calling some slaves and his screen name.  Some times my mind moves in odd directions.

emcguirk

• Ed McGuirk Photography
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 04:56:07 am »

Getting back to the original posters topic. Wayne thank you for this insightful video. Yes, one can do much the same thing thing from within Photoshop, but it's nice to have the option to do it within the Lightroom environment without a trip to Photoshop.

Using the LR adjustment brush in the manner described in the video provides similar functionality to the Control Points within Nik software such as Color Efex or Viveza. I'm sure the mask it creates is a little different than the one generated by Nik's control points, but it allows one to get some "Control Point Like" functionality from within Lightroom.

Because Adobe presented it as an adjustment "brush", I've always used it like a brush. With your insight Wayne, I now also think of it like a control point and that opens up another powerful avenue for using this tool.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:04:41 am by emcguirk »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 06:24:15 am »

Thanks Wayne, I've dabbled with auto masking, but never in the way you described. Very useful and I have being applied a lot more since I saw your video.

For me the big attraction of doing this in Lightroom is not only simplicity, doing it in there also makes sure no pixels are changed and I don't have to keep large files with multiple layers in case I want to change something at a later date.
pieter, aka pegelli

eliedinur

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2015, 09:46:22 am »

For me the big attraction of doing this in Lightroom is not only simplicity, doing it in there also makes sure no pixels are changed and I don't have to keep large files with multiple layers in case I want to change something at a later date.

Very relevant point.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 02:35:51 pm »

I had not looked at this post in a while.  I guess I should have stated that for my use and experience level with Photoshop selection tools, I have not found anything that works this well.  As a landscape photographer, the use of the color selection process in CC I don't feel can come close.  CC can never differentiate between all the various levels of blue in the sky, net, I always find problems.  I am sure that others who are more experienced can do better.

I just find the LR implementation a lot more to my process flow.  You can just keep clicking on the sky until the auto mask gets everything.  No it's not perfect, as I still have some images where it just doesn't seem to work, but they are in the minority. 

I tend to pull my tif files back to LR to work on them anyway, doing less in CC than ever before unless I want to run a filter and need a layer to blend.  The toolset in LR including auto mask just work better for me, other examples, adjustment brush (without auto mask) ability to make WB adjustments in an adjustment mask (in LR) and selective color, and the gradient tool.  I also would love to be able to click on a color in an image to make a selective color adjustment as Capture One allows. 

I would love to see LR give you the ability to erase portion of the gradient mask like can be done in Capture one.  It's my understanding this is already implemented in the latest version of Camera raw, but we are still waiting on LR 6 for it. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 07:16:21 pm »

Jeff, Just an apparent poor attempt at a little humor--his calling some slaves and his screen name.  Some times my mind moves in odd directions.
I thought it was quite a good observation myself.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2015, 07:25:31 pm »

I would love to see LR give you the ability to erase portion of the gradient mask like can be done in Capture one.  It's my understanding this is already implemented in the latest version of Camera raw, but we are still waiting on LR 6 for it. 
Most recent update was for new cameras. New features usually tend to come in full updates not point updates, but you can indeed edit a grad filter with a brush in ACR 8.8. Which also seems to completely lock up if I swap applications part way through using it.   :-\
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Glenn NK

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 07:53:55 pm »

Essentially you're talking about the difference in mentality of those who want to be free and those who desire to be in bondage. But the truth is that the world is full of those who want to be slaves. And nothing you can do about it.

I'll try to be polite.

Nonsense.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:55:59 pm by Glenn NK »
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

eliedinur

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2015, 07:07:35 am »

I'll try to be polite.

Nonsense.

Admirable restraint.
Puerile I would have called it.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2015, 04:38:05 pm »

What books provide comprehensive and detailed guidance about the capabilities and advanced techniques for using the adjustment brush in the current version of LR, especially with regard to automasking?

Glenn NK

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2015, 01:58:11 pm »

What books provide comprehensive and detailed guidance about the capabilities and advanced techniques for using the adjustment brush in the current version of LR, especially with regard to automasking?

I don't know of one single reference that covers everything (although there may be one), but I GOOGLED "lightroom automasking" and found quite a few good videos by well known LR users.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

dreed

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2015, 02:23:44 pm »

Yep...the Auto Mask tool in LR is a one step process that when used correctly makes parametric image adjustments in a manner you can't do in Photoshop. To do the same work in Photoshop would require multiple masks and adjustments. In LR, a single mask can be used to control all the adjustment channels available to the Adjustment Brush. I know Photoshop real well, I also know LR very well...knowing both I can pick and choose when and where I do my adjustments. The adjustments in the OP's videos are more easily done in LR.

Is there an easy way to get an inverse mask of a mask created with a brush and auto-mask in LR?

And speaking of which, it would be also nice to see the full per-colour channel adjustments for hue, saturation and luminosity available for brushes and gradients rather than just the top-level adjustments.

Who do I need to buy drinks for in order to convince them that this is a good idea? ;)

btw, in big cities and in a modern world, some of us don't own a car (or rent one from a bank) but rather get around by taxi (hi uber!) or use car sharing schemes.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:25:41 pm by dreed »

Schewe

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2015, 06:17:25 pm »

Who do I need to buy drinks for in order to convince them that this is a good idea? ;)

Eric Chan would be the guy. Known around here as MadManChan :~)

I know this is on his radar as we've talked about it already. Some many features, so little time is the problem.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up